Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:29:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Isn't 'God' a weird word?

Started by pancreas, March 24, 2019, 10:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

God is a CUNT by which we measure our CUNT

Spoon of Ploff

weird by name... weird by nature.

marquis_de_sad

Some people say god is great but I say god is NOT great. In fact, if you ask me the man's a total wally.

Buelligan

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Probably said this on another forum but I think polytheism, Gods such as the Greeks worshipped, where Gods compete with each other, are impetuous extensions of humanity made caricature and super-powerful more accurately reflect the slings and arrows of life, the general injustice and inconsistency and the occasional sublime ecstatic moment than boring old Abrahamic God whose actions or lack of them make no sense in the context of religion trying to interpret morality (what sane individual would use the supposed actions of that cunt as a filter?)

Polytheism: more human, more colourful, more fun.

Lord Mandrake

Yeah, the pantheon of Yoruban deities are very human in their flaws and excesses. Babaluaye, the god of infectious disease and Esu the trickster/Loki type god are particularly aggro but also a great bunch of lads.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 25, 2019, 12:20:22 PM
Probably said this on another forum but I think polytheism, Gods such as the Greeks worshipped, where Gods compete with each other, are impetuous extensions of humanity made caricature and super-powerful more accurately reflect the slings and arrows of life, the general injustice and inconsistency and the occasional sublime ecstatic moment than boring old Abrahamic God whose actions or lack of them make no sense in the context of religion trying to interpret morality (what sane individual would use the supposed actions of that cunt as a filter?)

Very interesting, Dr Peterson. But what about saints?

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Keebleman on March 25, 2019, 02:37:34 AM
Every word is weird when you think closely enough about it.  I remember being six or seven and suddenly divorcing 'tree' from its meaning.  I was able to consider 'tree' not as a word but as an abstract sound only, completely meaningless, and wondered how on earth it came to be associated with the woody things sprouting out of the ground.  Panicked me a bit.

Is there a word for this experience?

NoSleep

Quote from: Buelligan on March 25, 2019, 11:39:22 AM
Bit sexist.

There's "goddess" as well, but usually gods and goddesses have names. That one who's called "God" is like naming a bloke "Man".

Buelligan

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on March 25, 2019, 01:15:22 PM
Very interesting, Dr Peterson. But what about saints?

I like Jude, Rita and Anthony of Padua.  Francis is a foregone, of course.

St_Eddie

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 25, 2019, 01:44:19 PM
Is there a word for this experience?

Flutenmipooten Syndrome.  Which is kind of ironic.  Divorced from its meaning, that's also a very strange word.  'Syndrome'.  Heh.

Cerys

Quote from: NoSleep on March 25, 2019, 01:50:09 PM
There's "goddess" as well, but usually gods and goddesses have names. That one who's called "God" is like naming a bloke "Man".

Does this mean that God is the divine version of Andrew?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Buelligan

rasta-spouse

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 25, 2019, 02:33:00 PM
  Divorced from its meaning, that's also a very strange word.  'Syndrome'.  Heh.

A non-musical earworm I've always had is from the Adam & Joe Radio Shows where they once read out a letter which complained about some lady at work who, for some unknown reason, kept saying the word syndrome after every sentence. Adam then did an imagined impression of her saying sentences with the word "syyyyyyynnnndrrrrommmee" stuck in an odd extended way at the end.

For the last ten years I keep wanting to do this too, but have to force myself to stop.

St_Eddie

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 25, 2019, 03:50:20 PM
For the last ten years I keep wanting to do this too, but have to force myself to stop.

Why deny your true self?  Say syndrome at the end of every sentence, in a prolonged manner, if that's what makes you truly happy in life.  Be free, I say.  Be free and annoying to one and all.

Still loving your avatar by the way.  Every time you post something, I end up staring at it for a good minute or so.  It's mesmerising.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on March 25, 2019, 06:05:56 PM
They make your argument look silly.

From what I can see saints have nothing to do with the point I was making. Saints are a way of satisfying the desire for hero worship and idols (which monotheism heavily curtails).

But my argument is that the hypocrisies and injustices of real life are more akin to the characters created by the Greeks or the early Romans to worship. They worshiped them even though they were apparently whimsical and at times arbitrary.

Much more fun than shitearsed monotheism, even if you try and add saints to spice things up. Also, I may say, the difference between saints and heretics appears be the ability to know which way the wind is blowing. Big personality + random/invented impressive act + astutely chosen God.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 25, 2019, 06:43:02 PM
Saints are a way of satisfying the desire for hero worship and idols...

Why, a-thank you very much.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 25, 2019, 06:43:02 PM
From what I can see saints have nothing to do with the point I was making. Saints are a way of satisfying the desire for hero worship and idols (which monotheism heavily curtails).

But my argument is that the hypocrisies and injustices of real life are more akin to the characters created by the Greeks or the early Romans to worship. They worshiped them even though they were apparently whimsical and at times arbitrary.

Much more fun than shitearsed monotheism, even if you try and add saints to spice things up. Also, I may say, the difference between saints and heretics appears be the ability to know which way the wind is blowing. Big personality + random/invented impressive act + astutely chosen God.

Your original point was that the Greeks and Romans have lots of gods that represent the diversity of human experience and monotheistic religions only have one and that is boring. So if a monotheistic religion has divine figures that represent the diversity of human experience, that might complicate things.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on March 25, 2019, 07:28:13 PM
Your original point was that the Greeks and Romans have lots of gods that represent the diversity of human experience and monotheistic religions only have one and that is boring. So if a monotheistic religion has divine figures that represent the diversity of human experience, that might complicate things.

I didn't only say that the single Monotheistic God was boring, I said that the level of morality in polytheistic religions,  in terms of the God figures and the written stories falls closer to human experience in that the subjects of worship openly possess faults. If you compare that to Monotheistic saints there is largely only hero worship, rewritten history and the tedious pretense of saintliness itself.

Buelligan

That's not completely true, Saint Dominic, for one, was an absolute top-ranking cunt.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Buelligan on March 25, 2019, 07:53:05 PM
That's not completely true, Saint Dominic, for one, was an absolute top-ranking cunt.

Saint Ian did the child murders of course

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 25, 2019, 07:46:35 PMIf you compare that to Monotheistic saints there is largely only hero worship, rewritten history and the tedious pretence of saintliness itself.

Genuine question: are familiar with the lives of the saints? I'm not saying anyone should be, but it sounds a lot like you're talking out of your anus.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on March 25, 2019, 08:21:37 PM
Genuine question: are familiar with the lives of the saints? I'm not saying anyone should be, but it sounds a lot like you're talking out of your anus.

Says the man trying to equate Gods and Saints to argue against a point neither I nor anyone else is making. I appreciate you're obviously determined to behave like a cunt at the same time. You work your chode to completion, I'm going to do something more enjoyable.

marquis_de_sad

So the answer is no. I look forward to further pontifications from you on subjects you know nothing about.