Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:44:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Isn't 'God' a weird word?

Started by pancreas, March 24, 2019, 10:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 25, 2019, 12:20:22 PM
Probably said this on another forum but I think polytheism, Gods such as the Greeks worshipped, where Gods compete with each other, are impetuous extensions of humanity made caricature and super-powerful more accurately reflect the slings and arrows of life, the general injustice and inconsistency and the occasional sublime ecstatic moment than boring old Abrahamic God whose actions or lack of them make no sense in the context of religion trying to interpret morality (what sane individual would use the supposed actions of that cunt as a filter?)

Polytheism: more human, more colourful, more fun.

you just haven't read the good stuff. try Kierkegaard or Pascal, they could teach you a thing or two about morality. the Bible isn't boring at all neither. I don't really understand this need to make religions compete with eath other, they're all interesting in their own singular way.

edit: new page snob cunt

Retinend

Quote from: pancreas on March 24, 2019, 10:59:29 PM
'Allah' has some poetry

The ISIS flag, of all things, sports what might be the most beautiful utterance in any language (I am not a muslim), composed of a perfectly alternating stressed-unstressed pattern of prosody:

LAA  i  LAA  ha  IL  lal  LِAAH
لا             
        إ
            لـٰ
                   هَ       
                        إل
                              لا ل
                                       لّـٰه

Which in spite of its brevity actually contains 5 distinct words, that are completely by chance utterly similar to one another in sound: "no" (LAA) "god" (i LAA ha) "but" (IL la) "the" (-l) "God" (LAAH)

In addition, all but one of the sounds, that is, "aa" (itself with 2 variations), "i" and "l", are made up of variations on a single vertical penstroke:

Its meaning is simple: a profession of faith in monotheism, yet it rings out with a harmony of sound that resonates with the body as it is said, and its final part, "...but God" actually contains 4 distinctly pronounced "l" sounds (since consonants can be "geminated" - or emphasised - in Arabic phonology). The effect of this doubling - as well as a specially articulated "l" sound reserved for the name of God - gives the phrase the effect of decelerating towards its end, lending it an irrevocable quality.

The ironic thing is that the beauty of the phrase is particular to the Arabic language (not to any translation), which itself undermines the message of the phrase: that the revealed truths of Islam apply to all peoples equally, since the beauty of religious language in Arabic is and was surely a factor in the message's revelatory power in its original language. Even the very word "islaam" loses its power when it becomes a mere loan word, since, outside of the Arabic language, the associations of the root formula "s-l-m" (found in many everyday phrases such as "keep safe" "give in" "reconcile" "look after" or "hi") can no longer play part in its mystical/theological interpretation, which is more a matter of poetry than rigorous philosophy.

Dex Sawash