Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:06:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Scott Walker RIP

Started by king_tubby, March 25, 2019, 08:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

According to 4AD's twitter, Scott Walker has died.

RIP.

imitationleather

SteveDave

I'm going to punch some meat in his hono(u)r.

DrGreggles

Well, that's shit.

RIP Scott.

Bobby Treetops

And another one of my favourite musicians snuffs it.

Feeling pretty gutted now to be honest.

kalowski

Aw, fuck. One of the greatest. I've been planning to start a thread about his solo stuff for weeks. Will become a tribute thread now.

Neomod

Noooooooo.

The little clock's stopped ticking now
We're swallowed in the stomached rue
The only sound to tear the night
Comes from the man upstairs

R.I.P. Scott

Gregory Torso

Fucking hell NO!
His music has seen me through some of my darkest bleakest times. No one will ever sing with such a doomed voice into my black little soul.
The Drift is a truly unique and peerless album and anyone who might be tempted to dismiss him as "some dude from the sixties who went a bit weird" should listen to that record. It isn't an album, it's a haunting.
Shitty news.

famethrowa

Sad to hear it but what an amazing musical life, lived the way he wanted it. Plastic Palace People is the most amazing work of art, musically and lyrically, totally transcending pop and rock and all understanding.

Pavements of poets will write that I died in nine angel's arms

hedgehog90

Fucking shitting fuck.
Besides The Beatles and Bowie, one of the most interesting and varied artists who came from pop music.
The contrast of his early and later work is just astounding if you acknowledge it for a moment, and it was pretty much all consistently brilliant and thought provoking.
I was relistening to The Walker Brothers' Nite Flights the other day, the first side of that record is incredible.
Guess I'll be relistening to the rest of his discography today.

A loud and hearty RIP.

kittens

darn. found climate of hunter in a charity shop for about 20p in 2016 and thought it was great. recently been buying up all his records and loving it. had the drift sitting on my shelf for maybe a year, saving it for a special occasion. guess i'll give it a spin tonight.

Nowhere Man

Last night I literally changed the quote underneath my profile to be a Scott Walker lyric, and fell asleep listening to Scott 4.

This feels like a big fucking punch in the stomach. :(

homesickalien

Love Scott 1-4. Heard Cossacks are on Stuart Maconie last night and thought I really should get round to listening to Tilt.

Didn't see this coming. RIP

Sin Agog

Made a squeaky Lemmings 'oh no!' sound the moment I saw the thread title.

:(

madhair60

SteveDave

He's with the Engels now.

This has really upset me for some reason. I actually really liked his last album with Sunn o))) and played it non-stop for weeks after it came out. Seems weird that he was mortal, he seemed almost mythical

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 25, 2019, 12:09:42 PM
his last album with Sunn o)))

Yeah, it's brilliant. Can't imagine many other 70+year olds who came from doing 60s pop music ending up jamming something like that (McCartney and Gnod? Jagger and Arabrot?).

Really upset about this. I suppose this must be how it felt for others when Bowie or Prince died.

alan nagsworth

What a truly remarkable voice, one which he kept for his entire career. And what a career.

I had the pleasure of listening to his collaborative album with Sunn O))) in a church on a (supposedly) £10k sound system and it was an incredible experience. Completely enthralling, full of cavernous emotional depth, much like everything else he ever did.

I was just leaving the apartment in Stockholm to fly back to the UK when I heard the news. Quickly grabbed a bunch of stuff on Spotify for the journey. Listening to Scott 3 right now, bloody hell its tremendous. I'll be giving 30 Century Man a watch this week for sure.

a duncandisorderly

chveik

fuck. RIP.

I'll punch a donkey in the streets of Galway tonight.

buttgammon

Very sorry to hear this. What an absolutely one-off.

Tilt and The Drift are two particular favourites of mine, and I'll be playing them a lot over the coming days.

Blue Jam

So glad to see the love for Soused in this thread! I remember when it came out it seemed to get an incredibly mixed and somewhat muted reaction but I thought it was fucking ace

Dannyhood91

I'd just assumed he'd be in hiding for years I his opium den surrounded by some china men until his next project emerged from the mist.

What a musical trajectory and what a brilliant artist.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 25, 2019, 12:54:27 PM
So glad to see the love for Soused in this thread! I remember when it came out it seemed to get an incredibly mixed and somewhat muted reaction but I thought it was fucking ace

I remember at the aforementioned listening event that one song with the whip cracking noise throughout scared the fuck out of me. It's great.

chveik

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 25, 2019, 12:54:27 PM

yeah it's wonderful. and I usually don't care at all for Sunn O))), it seems like they were just meant to be Scott Walker's backing band.