Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:09:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Scott Walker RIP

Started by king_tubby, March 25, 2019, 08:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Ymphs

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 26, 2019, 11:45:18 AM
That Walker Brothers reunion album's crap..

Are you talking about Nite Flights? Scott's songs on that album (the first four) are essential listening, some of his best work.

Sin Agog

Oy, forgot about Nite Flights.  Was referring to No Regrets.  Still, Nite would have made a better EP than an album.

Dirty Boy

No disrespect to anyone who has lost favourites in recent times, but this one truly hurts. Tilt is a masterpiece and i was hoping we would get at least one more batshit crazy, but strangely melodic work of art before he passed (i know Bish Bosch was kind of the end of a trilogy, but still...)

RIP man with incredible voice.

wosl

RIP Mr Walker/Engel.  I've never been able to connect with your voice, but have nothing but admiration for the individual, outre path you trod in later years.

gilbertharding

Scott 2 is my favourite I think. Massive, MASSIVE orchestrations, and songs about domestic betrayal. Best of Both Worlds, Amorous Humphrey Plugg, Plastic Palace People are beautiful.

The Rope and the Colt also rules. I never got to grips with the later stuff... perhaps I will now.

kalowski

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 26, 2019, 11:45:18 AM
Til The Band Comes In, the album that followed Scott IV, is worth a punt for the original material- the first half- which might as well be part of Scott V.  The rest of the album is alright covers: I dig the Michel Legrand stuff.  That Walker Brothers reunion album's crap.  Climate Of Hunter I really like, what with having a thing for old arty relics' various ways of wrangling with '80s production techniques (love that Nico album from around the same time).  It's transitional, but great.
Hang on, are you saying Nite Flights is crap or are you talking about No Regrets?

Edit: just read the responses. Actually I like some of the other tracks on Nite Flights, they all have a flavour of Scott even if it's the first four that are true Scott tracks.

^ covered that at the top of this page

iamcoop

There is a perfect storm tonight of me splitting up with the love of my life and then Scott goes and fucks off.  Fucik sake. She ain't even called Joanna but whatever. Fucking hell Scott.

McChesney Duntz

If anybody's interested, I'm devoting the full two hours of my radio show this evening to our Mr. Engel; it shall stream live at 2300 my time (0600 GMT?) at http://www.coastradio.org. (I'll provide an archive link later if anyone shows the slightest bit of interest.)

Blue Jam

Quote from: Nowhere Man on March 25, 2019, 06:47:54 PM
Has his cause of death been established yet?

Several outlets are claiming 4AD confirmed it as "cancer", though I don't remember seeing that in their original statement.

Quote from: king_tubby on March 25, 2019, 07:49:21 PM
Hopefully Scott's ghost is now haunting the members of mediocre 90s indie band Scott 4.

There was a thread on here about bands wearing their influences like a badge of coolness, naming themselves (or their albums) after other, better artists, and how naff this. I forgot to nominate Scott 4, probably the most egregious example ever. I've never heard them, and I don't especially want to.

jobotic

I want to read that thread.

famethrowa

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 28, 2019, 10:32:19 AM

There was a thread on here about bands wearing their influences like a badge of coolness, naming themselves (or their albums) after other, better artists, and how naff this. I forgot to nominate Scott 4, probably the most egregious example ever. I've never heard them, and I don't especially want to.

Actually,I think the worst example might be claimed by US shitrockers Jukebox the Ghost who play awful smug sellout commercial indie, but:

After they thought they had enough new material, they renamed themselves "Jukebox the Ghost". The name was a combination of words chosen democratically, with "jukebox" originating from the lyrics of a Captain Beefheart song and "ghost" as a reference to a Nabokov novel.

phantom_power

Scott 4 were great you bunch of soft lads

the science eel

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on March 28, 2019, 03:07:05 AM
If anybody's interested, I'm devoting the full two hours of my radio show this evening to our Mr. Engel; it shall stream live at 2300 my time (0600 GMT?) at http://www.coastradio.org. (I'll provide an archive link later if anyone shows the slightest bit of interest.)

Yes - I won't be knocking about at 6 am over here but would like to hear it

Ignatius_S

Very sad news. I noticed that Sky Arts showed 20th Century Man on the evening when the news was announced – don't know if that was just a coincidence.

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 26, 2019, 11:54:02 AM
Oy, forgot about Nite Flights.  Was referring to No Regrets.  Still, Nite would have made a better EP than an album.

Pretty sure that the Scott tracks were released as an EP. In any case, personally, I'm glad have Nite Flights as it is – it's something that I've got more out of over time – but I think you're far from alone in what you say!

Quote from: kalowski on March 26, 2019, 07:20:58 PM...Edit: just read the responses. Actually I like some of the other tracks on Nite Flights, they all have a flavour of Scott even if it's the first four that are true Scott tracks.

Yeah, I feel some do have that flavour and that there's more cohesion across the album than one might expect because of the way they divvied up tracks.

In comparison, say, when the Monkees did similar with the first two post-Tork albums. Although there's some good stuff, there's also a definite disconnect between what each member produced in relation to the others, which makes sense when you learn about how the albums were created – i.e. each was essentially recording as a solo artist. Whereas, for me, the thirds of Nite Flights combine – admittedly, maybe not seamlessly – to form an album that feels more satisfying and less like a compilation of unrelated projects.

Phil_A

Quote from: phantom_power on March 28, 2019, 12:12:23 PM
Scott 4 were great you bunch of soft lads

Oh indeed, this one was a belter, if just a little in debt to "Where It's At". 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q2lWfReMjxw

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: the science eel on March 28, 2019, 12:52:10 PM
Yes - I won't be knocking about at 6 am over here but would like to hear it

Okay, by overwhelming request, then: https://www.radiofreeamerica.com/show/wow-flutter-coast-community-radio-coast-community-radio

(Hopefully, this works overseas. If not, I'll be putting up the show elsewhere, at some point, maybe, if I feel up to it, perhaps.)

Playlist? Sure:
https://spinitron.com/KMUN/pl/6675212/Wow-Flutter

McChesney Duntz

Blue Jam

Listening to Scott right now. Angelica- Christ, what a fantastically depressing song. I hope Ricky Gervais has never heard it.

His best vocal performances for me are probably 'I Don't Want to Hear It Anymore' with the Walker Brothers and 'Best of Both Worlds' on his own.

And also, latterly 'Brando' from Soused. The way he moan-howls "A beating would do me... a world of good.." still freaks me the fuck out

kalowski

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 29, 2019, 01:00:05 PM
His best vocal performances for me are probably 'I Don't Want to Hear It Anymore' with the Walker Brothers and 'Best of Both Worlds' on his own.

And also, latterly 'Brando' from Soused. The way he moan-howls "A beating would do me... a world of good.." still freaks me the fuck out
Amen, to 'Best of Both Worlds'. An immense performance.

Phil_A

I only heard The Plague(b-side of the Jackie single) for the first time quite recently. It's quite different from everything else he was doing at the time, veering more psychedelic with the effects on the guitar and vocals.

C'mon hear me now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEYuW2AfM8I

McChesney Duntz

This is the sort of piece I imagined seeing a lot more of in the wake of his passing, and I'm sure, given time and targeted net-spelunking, I will.
"Scott Walker  Architecture   Loneliness   Music  Eschatology" - rather sums it up:

https://medium.com/@sarmoung/mnemonsynon-remembering-scott-walker-8fee9cba1f22

Dusty Substance

Apparently the latest Freak Zone was a Scott Walker tribute. Might anyone possibly have a link to a downloadable version of the whole show? I don't have access to BBC Sounds but would dearly love to hear this episode. Many thanks to anyone who might be able to help out.

Phil_A

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 22, 2019, 03:32:54 PM
Apparently the latest Freak Zone was a Scott Walker tribute. Might anyone possibly have a link to a downloadable version of the whole show? I don't have access to BBC Sounds but would dearly love to hear this episode. Many thanks to anyone who might be able to help out.

PM sent.