Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:01:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Just got an email for torrenting telly

Started by madhair60, March 25, 2019, 12:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

"don't torrent telly" says Virgin

direct download an option? I want telly but I don't want to get told off/banged up.

madhair60

i don't even know any streaming sites. this is awful.

popcorn

madhair60

BlodwynPig

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 25, 2019, 01:06:32 PM
Virgin VPN - 60 quid a month.

I can see two problems with that, & the price is one of them. the other is that virgin have to maintain a healthy distance from any such activity because they've got content deals with exactly the sorts of people who'd get upset if their content was distributed in a manner that didn't earn them revenue.

I access iplayer from spain using a vpn service (UKVPN) that costs about £6/month.  everything else is fair-game there- file sharing isn't prosecuted, & most b/band providers are now offering at least 300Mb/s symmetrical (meaning you've got fast upload as well, supporting file sharing)

while in the UK, I use the TOR browser to access sites that BT (my broadband provider) would rather I couldn't see, for the reasons outlined above.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 25, 2019, 01:19:47 PM
I can see two problems with that, & the price is one of them. the other is that virgin have to maintain a healthy distance from any such activity because they've got content deals with exactly the sorts of people who'd get upset if their content was distributed in a manner that didn't earn them revenue.

I access iplayer from spain using a vpn service (UKVPN) that costs about £6/month.  everything else is fair-game there- file sharing isn't prosecuted, & most b/band providers are now offering at least 300Mb/s symmetrical (meaning you've got fast upload as well, supporting file sharing)

while in the UK, I use the TOR browser to access sites that BT (my broadband provider) would rather I couldn't see, for the reasons outlined above.

You thought I was being serious?

Bazooka

Pretty harsh for just downloading videos of Loose Women.

wooders1978

I use private internet access - there are variou tarrifs but I think I pay about 8 quid a month

St_Eddie

I'm with Vodafone and I torrent and stream like crazy.  I've been with them for years.  I've yet to receive any kind of warning/notification (knock on wood).  So, um, perhaps go with Vodafone?  I'm probably just lucky to have avoided their attention for all these years though.

I think that most providers have a three strike rule don't they?

Rev+

Quote from: madhair60 on March 25, 2019, 12:54:38 PM
"don't torrent telly" says Virgin

Was it for something you actually pinched?  The other half's had two of these recently for downloading a show she definitely didn't, and has no interest in.  As she's got a bit of time on her hands at the minute she's not letting them off the hook until they apologise.

Sending letters is as far as they'll take it so I wouldn't worry, but the letters themselves are bullshit anyway.  They claim that 'using bit torrent' is illegal in itself, which is a load of arse as it depends on the content. 

Junglist

Quote from: madhair60 on March 25, 2019, 12:58:11 PM
i don't even know any streaming sites. this is awful.

CineLARGEOCEANMAMMALWITHABIGDICK.com

even i believe you can work that out big man the man dem

Twed

If you don't like using a VPN, an alternative is a seedbox - a service where the torrent client runs in some cloud computer instead of your computer, and you just download the files from that. The advantage there is that it can download 24/7 if your computer isn't on and its connection will probably be faster than yours. You're looking at least a tenner a month for that though, plus the time to set it all up.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 25, 2019, 01:21:45 PM
You thought I was being serious?

sorry- I only come on here at work & I was simultaneously describing how something worked to an utter nitwit.

madhair60

Are direct downloads okay? Cos I can deal with that. It's only public trackers they ever pick up on.

Mister Six

I use Astrill, which isn't cheap (I think about $12 a month?) but it's fast, protects me when torrenting and allows me to access most of the world's Netflix variations (Romanian Netflix is my default - loads of good stuff on there).

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on March 25, 2019, 07:38:56 PM
(Romanian Netflix is my default - loads of good stuff on there).

I bet there is, you dirty old bollocks.

phes

I use Nord VPN. Cost about fifty quid for two years I reckon.

Captain Z

I think privateinternetaccess have a deal of something like $80 for 2 years at the moment.

Mobius

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 25, 2019, 01:33:42 PM
I use private internet access - there are variou tarrifs but I think I pay about 8 quid a month

Yeh I have been using these guys for years. Pretty cheap and works well, the only downer is unlike some other VPNs it seems PIA can't access other foreign Netflix (i'm sure it used to be able to)

Rev+

I think people recommending that you pay for things are missing the point a bit.  I've been with NTL/Virgin for about 15 years and haven't had a letter, and I've been up to all sorts.

Don't use torrents for TV or films unless they're particularly obscure, because everything new is available for direct download and Virgin can't tell/aren't arsed about you getting a file from somewhere they've not been told to keep an eye on.  You generally have to click through some adverts before downloading, but whatever.  There's a reasonably good site related to frozen water and movies that I'd recommend, although Virgin blocks it.  You can get around this by using Opera, as it has a built-in VPN, but there is another way.  If you were searching for an unblocked site, what's the one word you'd put into Google?

Fight the power, you'll have all the Bake Offs you deserve.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Rev+ on March 26, 2019, 12:46:36 AM
I think people recommending that you pay for things are missing the point a bit.  I've been with NTL/Virgin for about 15 years and haven't had a letter, and I've been up to all sorts.

Don't use torrents for TV or films unless they're particularly obscure, because everything new is available for direct download and Virgin can't tell/aren't arsed about you getting a file from somewhere they've not been told to keep an eye on.  You generally have to click through some adverts before downloading, but whatever.  There's a reasonably good site related to frozen water and movies that I'd recommend, although Virgin blocks it.  You can get around this by using Opera, as it has a built-in VPN, but there is another way.  If you were searching for an unblocked site, what's the one word you'd put into Google?

This is this correct post, good work.

madhair60

Quote from: Rev+ on March 26, 2019, 12:46:36 AM

Cheers, this is what I'd figured. I watch two things currently broadcasting and I know where to get them as direct downloads. Everything is weird shit from private trackers

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIf you were searching for an unblocked site, what's the one word you'd put into Google?

Balustrade?

St_Eddie

olliebean

Asked this in the VPN thread, but that probably wasn't the right place for it - is Usenet a viable alternative?

TTT

Quote from: olliebean on March 26, 2019, 10:54:39 AM
Asked this in the VPN thread, but that probably wasn't the right place for it - is Usenet a viable alternative?

Yep but you will need to pay for a provider and a couple of decent indexers, as most content is posted obfuscated these days. If you do go down that route it's worth setting up Sonarr/Radarr to automate everything.

Malcy

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 25, 2019, 04:47:38 PM
I'm with Vodafone and I torrent and stream like crazy.  I've been with them for years.  I've yet to receive any kind of warning/notification (knock on wood).  So, um, perhaps go with Vodafone?  I'm probably just lucky to have avoided their attention for all these years though.

I think that most providers have a three strike rule don't they?

I heavily torrent and download with Vodafone and only £23 a month and no letters or emails saying don't do that but they are a shit show of a provider. I have an engineer in my house right now hopefully finally with a resolution to months of piss poor service but for the most part their customer service has been appalling.

There's plenty of direct download sites out there as well madhair so plenty of options. They can't do anything but advise you not to anyway. When was the last time anyone got do e for illegal downloading?

biggytitbo

I stopped us9ng torrents ages ago, despite their convenience, and always use https file download sites now.

a duncandisorderly

isn't usenet a sort of mumsnet for sheep?