Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:30:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Just got an email for torrenting telly

Started by madhair60, March 25, 2019, 12:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

olliebean

Quote from: TTT on March 26, 2019, 01:15:58 PM
Yep but you will need to pay for a provider and a couple of decent indexers, as most content is posted obfuscated these days. If you do go down that route it's worth setting up Sonarr/Radarr to automate everything.

Already use Sonarr/Radarr with torrents, it was seeing the Usenet support there that put it into my head.

hermitical

Quote from: Rev+ on March 26, 2019, 12:46:36 AMThere's a reasonably good site related to frozen water and movies that I'd recommend

I'm being a bit dense, can I get another clue please....

DrGreggles

Quote from: madhair60 on March 25, 2019, 12:54:38 PM
"don't torrent telly" says Virgin

direct download an option? I want telly but I don't want to get told off/banged up.

I got a couple of those a while back and (apparently - according to a mate of mine who thinks he knows such things) the best thing to do is contact Virgin Media and opt out of their marketing emails. They're obviously automatically generated in the same way that their marketing ones are.

No idea if this helped, but my torrenting activity hasn't changed and I've never received another letter from them and neither has anyone else who has done the same.
Coincidence?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I remember a similar thread a year or so ago. The consensus seemed to be that you can simply ignore these messages.

Blue Jam

Am I the only person here who hasn't torrented anything since about 2008?

Pranet

Quote from: hermitical on March 29, 2019, 07:24:09 AM
I'm being a bit dense, can I get another clue please....

I found it helped when I tried duckduckgo instead of google, possibly you are putting the right thing in but into the wrong search engine.

Rev+

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 29, 2019, 05:06:39 PM
Am I the only person here who hasn't torrented anything since about 2008?

I wouldn't say I haven't torrented anything but I ragged it like a bastard in the early 2000s.  Now it's once every few months if there's something particularly elusive.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 29, 2019, 10:33:37 AM
I remember a similar thread a year or so ago. The consensus seemed to be that you can simply ignore these messages.

I reckon that's true.  It's not like Virgin Media is going to take a customer to court.  Not only would it be more trouble than it's worth but it would also be self-defeating.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 30, 2019, 10:33:51 AM
I reckon that's true.  It's not like Virgin Media is going to take a customer to court.  Not only would it be more trouble than it's worth but it would also be self-defeating.

indeed. the studios need to make their money from other places, like bands have to these days, & realise that once a piece of content is in digital form, it's out. gone. unmonetisable. DRM is dead in the water.
most people I know, if a movie or tv show has attracted enough attention, will watch a really crappy version of it (cams, whatever) just so they can stay kept-up.

screeners leak out all the time. I've watched dozens of movies with burnt-in timecode, chinese subtitles, "property of warner brothers" & what-not. I'll still go to see these things properly if the opportunity arises, but when you're working long/odd hours, &/or have small kids, you grab what you can.
can't remember the last trip to the flicks with the mrs- 'oblivion' maybe, or 'hobbit'. going on my own feels like cheating, & it's no fun.

IMAX with dolby-atmos is great, but anything less & you may as well just get the BR rip when it appears on the interweb, or wait until sainos have it for a ten-spot. last time I did the full-on IMAX was 'gravity', which means I paid £20 to see 'alien' without the alien, on a screen the size of my street & with noises coming from behind me that I thought was some twat with his phone still on.
I knew, on the way out, that this had been the only way to see it, & that on any smaller display it would've been duff.

St_Eddie

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 30, 2019, 10:52:27 AM
DRM is dead in the water.

DRM is ridiculous.  I've literally downloaded pirated copies of games, just to avoid it.  DRM is an advertisement for piracy.  You know that you gone done fucked up when the people pirating your game are getting a better deal than those who pay for it.  Pay for it = having to be online to play and potentially having a limited number of installs.  Pirate it = none of that bullshit.

It's the reason that I pay for my games on GOG.  They're anti-DRM.  I support that.  If your game has DRM bullshit then you better know that I'm gonna pirate that shit, out of protest if nothing else.

popcorn

St_Eddie

popcorn

Twed

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 30, 2019, 10:52:27 AM
indeed. the studios need to make their money from other places, like bands have to these days, & realise that once a piece of content is in digital form, it's out. gone. unmonetisable.
Huh? That's not true. There is plenty of digital content that people willingly pay for even if they could just as easily get it for free.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on March 30, 2019, 01:58:53 PM
Huh? That's not true. There is plenty of digital content that people willingly pay for even if they could just as easily get it for free.

Radiohead's In Rainbows is a testament to that.  Perhaps not 'free' per se but near enough.

Quote from: popcorn on March 30, 2019, 12:20:08 PM
You can expect a letter.

A letter destined for the recycling bin.  At least some good will come of it.

Twed

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 31, 2019, 03:05:58 AM
Radiohead's In Rainbows is a testament to that.  Perhaps not 'free' per se but near enough.
Right, along with others, and stuff that is stripped of DRM but that people still pay for. Also, Patreon is a testament to the fact that people will happily throw money at content creators without even getting anything directly back for it. I spend $55 a month supporting content creators just because I want them to be able to do what they do.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on March 31, 2019, 03:12:28 AM
Right, along with others, and stuff that is stripped of DRM but that people still pay for. Also, Patreon is a testament to the fact that people will happily throw money at content creators without even getting anything directly back for it. I spend $55 a month supporting content creators just because I want them to be able to do what they do.

I suppose it could be seen as a kind of Moral Tax.  It's nice to know that some people will pay for something, even if they don't have to.  Except for the twats who give money to Spoony's Patreon.  Screw them.  They're enablers for a lazy man who has no reason to create new content, thanks to them.

popcorn

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 31, 2019, 03:05:58 AM

It was completely free, if you wanted it to be.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on March 31, 2019, 06:20:42 AM
It was completely free, if you wanted it to be.

My memory is faulty.  Thank you for the correction.  I misremembered there being a minimum price of 1p.

popcorn

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 31, 2019, 08:52:55 AM
My memory is faulty.  Thank you for the correction.  I misremembered there being a minimum price of 1p.

No that is the minimum price for YOUR MUM!!

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Twed on March 30, 2019, 01:58:53 PM

not enough to keep a big movie studio in business. I'm not talking about a few thousand album sales here, I mean $200M movies.

Twed

Glebe

Jerzy Bondov

I would very happily pay good money for movie downloads with no DRM, which I can put on my Plex server and enjoy as I please. I'm looking forward to DRM dying out on downloaded films as it has with music, so I can stop spending hours waiting for Handbrake to encode shit.

Quote from: Mister Six on March 25, 2019, 07:38:56 PM
I use Astrill, which isn't cheap (I think about $12 a month?) but it's fast, protects me when torrenting and allows me to access most of the world's Netflix variations (Romanian Netflix is my default - loads of good stuff on there).

Don't you then lose access to iplayer/All4?

Bazooka

Quote from: kenneth trousers on April 01, 2019, 09:29:20 AM
Don't you then lose access to iplayer/All4?

Yeah you have to change it to UK for that.

Quote from: Pranet on March 29, 2019, 09:43:20 PM
I found it helped when I tried duckduckgo instead of google, possibly you are putting the right thing in but into the wrong search engine.

It's not on the google - also forget comedy, you're looking for information.