Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:09:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Here's a question

Started by BlodwynPig, March 26, 2019, 12:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Who came up with the famous childhood confectionary slogan

"Opal Fruits, made to make your mouth water"?

the

Mark Ramprakash and Pliers

Spoon of Ploff

I've looked into this and I agree. This is a question.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 26, 2019, 12:57:05 AM
Who came up with the famous childhood confectionary slogan

"Opal Fruits, made to make your mouth water"?

Otis Day and The Knights

Fishfinger

The General Studies GCSE has let itself go.

a duncandisorderly

wasn't murray 'mints' walker on that campaign?

a duncandisorderly

yas. here- https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2007/jul/01/motorsports.oliverowen

>>Walker's business career, in advertising, ran alongside his commentary work. He is keen to bury the myth that he invented the phrase 'A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play'.

'I was the account director of that, among other clients, at Masius and Ferguson. It no longer exists, but we made it into the biggest advertising agency in Britain and I'm very proud of that. "A Mars a day helps you work rest and play" was something that I administered, but I never invented it. I'll tell you how it got ascribed to me. It got put into an obituary file, maybe all of my obituary files, and I can't get rid of it. It's amazing the way it sticks.'

Walker does own up to coining what he calls 'trite but successful phrases', among them 'Opal Fruits: made to make your mouth water'; 'Trill makes your budgie bounce' and the fantastic 'An only budgie is a lonely budgie'.

But the real love of Walker's life was motor sport, not budgies or advertising jingles, and in more than 70 years he has seen every great driver there has ever been.<<

rasta-spouse

Beryl Reid used to shout this phrase into a well every day on her way to school during her childhood in 1930s Herefordshire. Obs, it meant nothing to her at that point - just the ramblings of an infant. One of the echoes must have escaped during the 70s and made its way to old man Saaaatchi in the big smoke.

canadagoose

Bob Holness. He had some Opal Fruits when he was finished playing that sax solo and he said "oooh, these really make your mouth water, don't they though?" True story.

Glebe

Older readers may remember the ad with the family dancing away from the sea edge! In any case, Opal Fruits are still popular today, I see them all the time! But now they are called Starbucks.

BlodwynPig

Yes, the answer was Murray Walker. Incredible trivia

Howj Begg

Quote from: canadagoose on March 27, 2019, 05:37:06 AM
Bob Holness. He had some Opal Fruits when he was finished playing that sax solo and he said "oooh, these really make your mouth water, don't they though?" True story.

Bob Holness was, of course, the first James Bond, playing him in the radio version of Ian Fleming's novel "The Man With The Golden Bum".