Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:36:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cambridge CaB Meet Saturday 18th May (Thread #2 with apologies to JJ and LJ)

Started by Twit 2, March 26, 2019, 07:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I'm here at the Pig, what time are you lot arriving?

https://imgur.com/BAAVFeF

Edit: Bollocks, 18th, not the 28th. Ffs, etc, etc.

Edit again: Huh, I can't get images to embed, is that happening for anyone else?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The Flying Pig? That's a grand old pub, that. I was able to click on to that image, to see David Quantick with a crutch Dan Aykroyd with a crutch Stephen King with a crutch your good self standing outside that fine establishment.

ETA: Ah, you've got it up now.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 28, 2019, 03:24:25 PM
The Flying Pig? That's a grand old pub, that.

It is, and unlike most of Cambridge it looks almost exactly the same as it did twenty years ago when I lived in the city.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 28, 2019, 03:23:17 PM
I'm here at the Pig, what time are you lot arriving?

Edit: Bollocks, 18th, not the 28th. Ffs, etc, etc.

Edit again: Huh, I can't get images to embed, is that happening for anyone else?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 28, 2019, 03:25:55 PM
It is, and unlike most of Cambridge it looks almost exactly the same as it did twenty years ago when I lived in the city.

One of the best pubs in Cambridge, second only to the King's Street Run. I impressed Emily Blunt* by winning ten quid on the quiz machine the last time I was there.
(* lookalike)

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks for that Delete, oddly enough I tried to post a picture yesterday and it wouldn't let me, must be my laptop playing up.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 28, 2019, 03:33:20 PM
One of the best pubs in Cambridge, second only to the King's Street Run. I impressed Emily Blunt* by winning ten quid on the quiz machine the last time I was there.
(* lookalike)

I always liked the King Street Run too, especially the Anchor, had many a great night there. I wish I could have attended the Cambridge meet too but Mrs SMBH and I had tickets to visit the city last Wednesday (which is where that picture's from) and I couldn't afford to go twice in the same week.

You was postign a l nk to the hosting site with the picture on the page, rather than the direct link to the image.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 28, 2019, 03:44:43 PM
Thanks for that Delete, oddly enough I tried to post a picture yesterday and it wouldn't let me, must be my laptop playing up.

I always liked the King Street Run too, especially the Anchor, had many a great night there. I wish I could have attended the Cambridge meet too but Mrs SMBH and I had tickets to visit the city last Wednesday (which is where that picture's from) and I couldn't afford to go twice in the same week.

When I went back to the Anchor a few years ago, after a good 10 years away from Cambridge, I was disappointed at what it had become.  I mean, it was nice, but it had transformed itself into more of a classy kind of restaurant place, than the old spit-and-sawdust kind of place it had been, with Spencer from Big Brother propping up the bar.

The Run and the Pig were two of my favourite haunts back then too.  And the Boat Race (RIP).

What I'd like to know is if this graffiti'd exchange still exists in the toilets at The Mill:

["Please wash your hands" sign]
- Why? Urine is sterile
- But faeces are not
- You poncey twatty fucking Cambridge wanker

It was still there when I left Cambridge, as it had been for a good 10 years beforehand.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on May 28, 2019, 04:10:09 PM
You was postign a l nk to the hosting site with the picture on the page, rather than the direct link to the image.

Yeah, I did that when after posting it with the [img] tags from imgur it didn't work the first time, but I've no idea why it was playing up, it never has done that before, so it's all a bit odd.

Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 28, 2019, 04:30:53 PM
When I went back to the Anchor a few years ago, after a good 10 years away from Cambridge, I was disappointed at what it had become.  I mean, it was nice, but it had transformed itself into more of a classy kind of restaurant place, than the old spit-and-sawdust kind of place it had been, with Spencer from Big Brother propping up the bar.

The Run and the Pig were two of my favourite haunts back then too.  And the Boat Race (RIP).

What I'd like to know is if this graffiti'd exchange still exists in the toilets at The Mill:

["Please wash your hands" sign]
- Why? Urine is sterile
- But faeces are not
- You poncey twatty fucking Cambridge wanker

It was still there when I left Cambridge, as it had been for a good 10 years beforehand.

That's a shame about the Anchor, certainly doesn't sound like my cup of tea anymore. Oddly enough I apparently knew Spencer as he was a good friend of one of my housemates when I was at university, and I'm assured he came over to the house loads of times, but I don't remember him at all. Then again I did smoke an awful lot during my time there.

And the Boat Race was a place I absolutely loved as well, and I saw some great bands there, but I'd heard about it closing a long time ago. When I was in Cambridge last week I did walk past it but couldn't go in to see what it was now like as the pub it became has now closed as well, which makes it all the more annoying. And I didn't go in to The Mill either, so can't confirm if that graffiti is still there.

I did visit my old university though (Anglia Ruskin) and by chance a student there showed us around, according to her apparently Cambridge students call it the "Early Learning Centre" so I now I dislike them even more than I did previously!