Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:48:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This is the thread about the new BBC sitcom, which is called Don't Forget the Dr

Started by gilbertharding, March 26, 2019, 02:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/dont_forget_the_driver/

QuoteA dark comedy set in sunny seaside Bognor Regis. It explores what it means to live, work and parent at a point when the entire UK population is having to come to terms with the changing colour of their passports.

Coach driver and single dad Peter Green leads a life of ordinary routine; clip on ties, limp packed lunches, vehicle checks, round-trip coach journeys ferrying church groups to donkey sanctuaries and Japanese tourists to Canterbury Cathedral.

Green is at full stretch just about coping with his disaffected daughter Kayla (bored to a state of almost total inertia in a place that has nothing for her) and Audrey, his mum, whose life is rapidly descending into confusion and fear. The discovery of a dead body on the docile Bognor shoreline and an unsettling meeting with a new arrival in town throws Green's life into chaos - a lost soul in need of assistance, who he could help. But will he? Can he?

Don't Forget The Driver follows a group of people struggling with their place in the world, their own sense of identity, and reveals how, in one single moment, even in the most ordinary of lives, an accidental encounter can change the course of everything.

Toby Jones and Tim Crouch said: "Don't Forget The Driver is a love-song to Bognor. It's filmed with care, attention and a warm, gentle wit. The series is about a moment when a seemingly small life interacts with the wider world. Bognor sits on the edge of England - facing out towards Europe. The modern world has arrived and yet Bognor still has the unmistakable air of a seaside town holding onto its traditional values.

"It's like two rivers joining - a sometimes mis-remembered past and an unknown future. Bognor has become a good place to explore many of the themes of national identity that are gripping our country. When we were filming, we were very lucky with the weather as well - Bognor really put on a show for us and we hope viewers love it as much as we do."

Looked good from the trailer, but wonder about all the 'Dark love letter to Bognor' stuff I've just read about.

What do you think?

Malcy

phes

Love Bognor so I will be watching this. Some people heading to the prom just in front of me on my last visit:

jsgibble

Press pictures (well, some) have been out for a few weeks now, so it shouldn't be too far away

St_Eddie

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 26, 2019, 02:29:05 PM
https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/dont_forget_the_driver/

QuoteA dark comedy set in sunny seaside Bognor Regis. It explores what it means to live, work and parent at a point when the entire UK population is having to come to terms with the changing colour of their passports.

Coach driver and single dad Peter Green leads a life of ordinary routine; clip on ties, limp packed lunches, vehicle checks, round-trip coach journeys ferrying church groups to donkey sanctuaries and Japanese tourists to Canterbury Cathedral.

Green is at full stretch just about coping with his disaffected daughter Kayla (bored to a state of almost total inertia in a place that has nothing for her) and Audrey, his mum, whose life is rapidly descending into confusion and fear. The discovery of a dead body on the docile Bognor shoreline and an unsettling meeting with a new arrival in town throws Green's life into chaos - a lost soul in need of assistance, who he could help. But will he? Can he?

Don't Forget The Driver follows a group of people struggling with their place in the world, their own sense of identity, and reveals how, in one single moment, even in the most ordinary of lives, an accidental encounter can change the course of everything.

Toby Jones and Tim Crouch said: "Don't Forget The Driver is a love-song to Bognor. It's filmed with care, attention and a warm, gentle wit. The series is about a moment when a seemingly small life interacts with the wider world. Bognor sits on the edge of England - facing out towards Europe. The modern world has arrived and yet Bognor still has the unmistakable air of a seaside town holding onto its traditional values.

"It's like two rivers joining - a sometimes mis-remembered past and an unknown future. Bognor has become a good place to explore many of the themes of national identity that are gripping our country. When we were filming, we were very lucky with the weather as well - Bognor really put on a show for us and we hope viewers love it as much as we do."

That's all very well and good but how does a Dr factor into all of this?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Twed

gilbertharding

There's a character limit on thread titles. It should be "This is the thread about the new BBC sitcom, which is called Don't Forget the Driver why don't we talk about it here?"

Talulah, really!

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 27, 2019, 09:55:16 AM
There's a character limit on thread titles. It should be "This is the thread about the new BBC sitcom, which is called Don't Forget the Driver why don't we talk about it here?"

'bout time there was a sitcom set in a golf club.

St_Eddie

Howj Begg

QuoteCoach driver and single dad Peter Green leads a life of ordinary routine; clip on ties, limp packed lunches, vehicle checks, round-trip coach journeys ferrying church groups to donkey sanctuaries and Japanese tourists to Canterbury Cathedra

sounds like a man of the world.

shh

They're all up on iplayer now.

It's hardly a sitcom to be honest, more of a smiler than a laugher (based on the first episode anyway). Some nice human touches, shot rather tastefully too (for the BBC), a bit on the nose at times.

The 'migrant aspect' is only glimpsed in the background (for most of it), feels like Jonsey's picked something up from working with Haneke.

My mum used to go out with the playwright Tim Crouch, who co-wrote this

Malcy

Watched the first 2 last night. I really like it. The pensioners chanting booze and fags was a good laugh. It's gentle with a feeling of something really sinister going on as well but it's kept to the background for now. Going to watch the rest today.

I'm convinced the stock donkey noise they used in episode 2 is the same one used for the concrete donkey in Worms. It was identical!

Malcy

Absolutely loved this. I'd like to see another series of it if they have a good idea for one.