Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:16:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Streets of Rage 4

Started by samadriel, March 26, 2019, 05:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

I could've swore there was a SoR4 thread here somewhere.  Might have even been me who started it... Maybe not?

Announcement trailer: https://youtu.be/M_bgPefCyfA

https://youtu.be/Nw42STDQKbA
Here's a new bit of gameplay.  The main addition to the classic gameplay seems to be the ability to juggle enemies in the air between the two players. Which is cool if you'll be playing it with someone... I hope you can play it with a friend online, at least.

Edit: there's one bit with a lot of fire art the end that kind of resembles the magic in Golden Axe; maybe each character gets a super move? I like it.

PlanktonSideburns

Sounds promising, but if the soundtrack is even INCREMENTALLY stylistically different from the original it can get fucked

samadriel

I'm hoping the use of Koshiro's old sound effects indicates that he is involved, because I too would be fucking dismayed if he's not.

Character-wise, I really want Adam back, he's been missing for far too long.

biggytitbo

It looks nice enough in its own way but I think the graphical style they've gone for is all wrong. It doesnt evoke Streets of Rage at all to me, seems like another game altogether.

St_Eddie

I also don't like the art style.  It looks kinda cheap; like a flash game or something.

biggytitbo

Flash game exactly. For the same reason I didn't like the recent wonder boy game. What's wrong with proper pixel art?

madhair60

QDRPHNC

Yeah, this needed to be some sort of pixel-art-vaporwave hybrid. Originals had a a glow to them. This looks more like a remake of Final Fight than Streets of Rage.

Twed

Too much of that lighting effect. Everything's in shadows.

samadriel

Quote from: Twed on March 26, 2019, 08:17:59 PM
Too much of that lighting effect. Everything's in shadows.

Yeah, everything's too dark, too often; it looks nice when the energy attacks come out, but that aside, it's all murky.

Space ghost

Just looks like Double dragon neon.

Kelvin

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 26, 2019, 07:41:30 PM
What's wrong with proper pixel art?

Nothing. Which is why there are now SIXTEEN TRILLION indie games using it.

Spiteface

Been saying it largely since this was announced, that it's the wrong direction to go.

The long fighty bits in Yakuza (The big one towards the end of Kiwami 2 springs to mind)are pretty much what I would want from a new SOR. As others pointed out, this looks cheap.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 26, 2019, 07:41:30 PM
Flash game exactly. For the same reason I didn't like the recent wonder boy game.

The same developer, incidentally.

I wonder if they will have a retro style option like in the Wonder Boy remake with classic 16 bit graphics.

madhair60

Quote from: Space ghost on March 26, 2019, 08:26:19 PM
Just looks like Double dragon neon.

Doesn't look as technique-heavy, interesting and funny as that masterpiece tbh.

Golden E. Pump

I like it. The gameplay looks like classic Streets of Rage and the art style doesn't look bad, just different. I'm aboard the hype train.

Space ghost

Quote from: madhair60 on March 27, 2019, 08:16:23 AM
Doesn't look as technique-heavy, interesting and funny as that masterpiece tbh.

You're dead right, that was unfair to ddn. It's an excellent game.

samadriel

https://youtu.be/zJpdT5KBNDQ

Gamescom time, here's a play through of stage 6, with Axel and a new player character, Cherry. I gotta say, I'm pretty unexcited by that stage; the style is fine, but apart from the nice Shinto temple at the end, the backgrounds are bland, the kind of thing I'd accept from the first stage, but not the sixth.  The fighting looks a little unexciting too, but that could just be a lack of familiarity with the systems on the players' part.

Edit: https://youtu.be/TRxd-YxkZmE
Cherry's trailer. Stage art is looking better in a few shots here, albeit a bit under-saturated.

PlanktonSideburns

So when is this getting uploaded to newgrounds?

biggytitbo

Pinball

QDRPHNC

I said it before but everyone ignored me, so I'll say it again: This looks more like a remake of Final Fight than Streets of Rage. Such a bummer they didn't keep the pixellated saturated neon look. Missed opportunity to do something interesting.

Spiteface

Downloaded this today, finally. Been putting it off.

Disappointment is the word coming to mind.

I was never a fan of the graphical style when it was revealed (although I think Blaze looks better with a jacket over her SOR2/3 outfit), but the gameplay feels stiffer and cliunkier than any of the originals. Soundtrack is lacking, too.

Yet it seemer to get universal praise in reviews. I can only assume the people praising this haven't actually played the originals.

However, I have been playing Streets of Rage Remake recently, due to it being included on my RG350M handheld. That is so much better. Gameplay like the originals, multiple paths and an absolutely banging soundtrack, remixing all those classic Yuzo Koshiro compositions.

I still stand by my previous statement that they should have done a  modern game in the style of the long fight sequences in Yakuza.

madhair60

Nah its a 10/10, far better than the classics even. One of the best if not the best belated sequel ever to anything. I like it more than SoR2, and SoR2 is literally perfect, so that's quite telling. Sorry you didn't like it but you're wrong

It feels awkward to start with because they removed the universal dash from SOR3 and Axel and Blaze aren't quite the same easy default character types you'd expect them to be. I found playing with Cherry was the key to helping me understand how it all hangs together.

Madhair's right. It's the best in the series by miles.

MojoJojo

Quote from: madhair60 on July 10, 2020, 10:53:46 AM
Nah its a 10/10, far better than the classics even. One of the best if not the best belated sequel ever to anything. I like it more than SoR2, and SoR2 is literally perfect, so that's quite telling. Sorry you didn't like it but you're wrong
Quote from: madhair60 on March 26, 2019, 07:58:55 PM
Aids-tier.

Now I don't know what to believe.

Bazooka

Geez, next some of you guys will be saying Golden Age: Beast Rider is the best in that series.

madhair60

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 10, 2020, 03:15:23 PM
Now I don't know what to believe.

wasn't out yet.

the description of this game as "clunky" made me do one of those sort of internal gamer sighs at how inaccurately that represents my experience

Sheffield Wednesday

Check out iconoclast high score runs to see how clunky this is.