Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:06:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Streets of Rage 4

Started by samadriel, March 26, 2019, 05:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Played this through yesterday with my brother and we thought it was great. The soundtrack is really good as well.

If you see an arcade machine hit it with a taser and you get to fight a classic boss. Only done the one that was in the police station so far.

Kelvin

I played it through with a couple of friends this weekend. Feels almost exactly like SoR2, but with a few mechanical tweaks to make it more balanced. Stuff like the risk/reward mechanic for using specials and stars is a smart improvement. Soundtrack is good, although maybe not as a consistently great as the original games. Lighting effects make it all look a bit dark and colourless at times, but mostly it looks fine. Not a huge amount more you can say, as it's essentially SoR2 and all that entails.   

Bazooka

Doesn't look or sound as good as SoR2, no way Jose.

Kelvin

I agree, but in terms of how it plays, and the "feel" of the game, it's basically spot on. Arguably better.

Spiteface

I must be playing a different game.

SoR4 feels suùuuper stiff to me.

I've been playing the fangame Streets of Rage Remake lately and that is just so much better. I've had more fun with it.

madhair60

4 is the best game in the series

Pink Gregory

Well this is ace  I love it.  Just finished the story mode with Axel on normal (I'm not a huge beat 'em up guy) and only learned on the last stage that the reason for my low scores was not letting combos 'bank' and letting myself be interrupted.  Planning to do the same with every guy but already compared to Axel, Blaze seems a lot more combo heavy and she feels a bit intimidating.

What's great about this is even on normal you can't brute force your way through - you at least have to learn the quick recovery and what move have invincibility that you can take advantage of.

Malcy

I was playing it on Game Pass and was really struggling on one of the later levels so decided to put it on the back burner for a while.

Gone from Game Pass now. I completed it with my brother when it came out anyway though.

I'll keep an eye out for it in the sales.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Malcy on May 14, 2022, 03:56:30 PMI'll keep an eye out for it in the sales.

Do they not do a little period of discount when a game goes off game pass?  I also played it through with a friend a couple of weeks ago and it was on the leaving list then.

I might be thinking of when they're about to leave game pass rather than have left.

Malcy

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 14, 2022, 05:55:26 PMDo they not do a little period of discount when a game goes off game pass?  I also played it through with a friend a couple of weeks ago and it was on the leaving list then.

I might be thinking of when they're about to leave game pass rather than have left.

I didn't even realise it was leaving unfortunately. I just saw it on my list and thought I'd give it another go.

Did find changing characters helps when stuck. The girl with the guitar was my best bet for the boss I couldn't beat. Several times had him down to an almost invisible amount of health only for him to defeat me!

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Malcy on May 14, 2022, 06:14:36 PMSeveral times had him down to an almost invisible amount of health only for him to defeat me!

I finished the story on normal this afternoon, with literally about 3mm (on the Switch handheld screen) of health and no lives left.  Despite the end of the game being a bit of a damp squib, it was fucking great.

Malcy

Yeah I was impressed by it. Soundtrack was pretty good as well.

Pink Gregory

The training mode is an excellent addition; I played in co op without the tutorial lessons, had an absolute blast, but since I played single player after having done the lessons there's a real richness to it that I wouldn't have found by myself.

RetroRobot

I've loved all the modern sequels to old sega games recently. Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove and Sonic Mania are the best games in their series to me and I really hope something like Vectorman or Comix Zone gets this treatment soon too.

Spiteface

Went back to this last night. First time since my disappointment with it when it came out.

Better than I remember, actually.

Quote from: Malcy on May 14, 2022, 03:56:30 PMI was playing it on Game Pass and was really struggling on one of the later levels so decided to put it on the back burner for a while.

Gone from Game Pass now. I completed it with my brother when it came out anyway though.

I'll keep an eye out for it in the sales.

It's on sale for the next week. £10.49:

https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/games/store/buy/9n7h54kncb9n

The Mr. X DLC is also on sale for £4.05

Malcy

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 17, 2022, 05:20:20 PMIt's on sale for the next week. £10.49:

https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/games/store/buy/9n7h54kncb9n

The Mr. X DLC is also on sale for £4.05

Brilliant! Thanks.