Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:39:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ranking Roger died

Started by Twed, March 26, 2019, 09:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

mrClaypole

So sad,  I met him afew times. Always willing to chat and always so friendly. Lovely talented man taken to soon.

Sin Agog

The Culture Bunker

I love the Beat - controversial opinion, perhaps, but I prefer those first two albums to those by the Specials. And even Special Beat Service had a couple of great pop tunes on.

One of my favourite memories is being sat in a car going down Santa Monica Boulevard with 'Tenderness' by General Public blasting on the radio, singing along at top volume.

Neomod

Aww that's a shame. Saw them back in the day.

I was a huge fan. Got all their releases on 2 Tone.

DrGreggles

non capisco

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 26, 2019, 11:21:13 PM
I love the Beat - controversial opinion, perhaps, but I prefer those first two albums to those by the Specials. And even Special Beat Service had a couple of great pop tunes on.

I bloody love Special Beat Service, it's crazily underrated.

I Just Can't Stop It is one of the greatest debut albums ever, I reckon. Boundless confidence, hooks up the wazoo, banger after banger. Mirror In The Bathroom, Hands Off She's Mine, Two Swords..what a three shot opening salvo. Something like Noise In This World could have been a top five hit in 1980 for anyone else and it's a "mere" album track on this set. The way Roger and Dave Wakeling's voices blend throughout that album is a total joy. And then they followed it up with Too Nice To Talk To, one of the greatest non-album singles ever.

Scott Walker and now Ranking Roger. If I was an effortlessly cool musician I would be soiling myself this week.

Janie Jones

Loved him since 1980. This is such sad news, so unfair.  I last saw the Beat about 3 years ago, he looked amazing. So fit. His son was playing in the band.

I always knew getting old would be unpleasant and I anticipated how horrible it would be when your friends start dying but I never realised how hopeless the loss of your contemporaneous musical idols can make you feel.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 26, 2019, 10:49:16 PM
RIP it up and start again

That's Orange Juice, dude.

Very sad about RR. Taken too soon.

Gulftastic

Ah bollocks. 'I Just Can't Stop It' was the first album I ever bought.

RIP Roger.

Lordofthefiles

*Johnathan Ross leads the tributes amid stifled laughter*

wosl

Very sad.  Sounds as though his illness just rampaged and he didn't stand a chance.  I was only lightly drawn to the neo-ska/punk-reggae efflorescence that bubbled up in the wake of 2 Tone, but The Beat put out one or two of the best singles from that scene.  Capersome playing put to the service of stinging lyrics - admirable stuff.  Best Friend is my favourite of theirs.  RIPRR.

Bently Sheds

"Andzoff me daughter
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAH!!!!!"
(R.I.P. Ranking Roger)

Custard

Ahh, sad and unexpected. Just been listening to The Beat this very week

RIP RR

Norton Canes

Don't know much about The Beat, only heard their big singles, but I eventually got round to listening to Save It For Later and it's really good, and the video is cute. Therefore sadness.

Jockice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 26, 2019, 11:21:13 PM
. And even Special Beat Service had a couple of great pop tunes on.

Jeannette is probably my favourite single by them. No sweat, no threat, another one in the back of the net.

non capisco

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 28, 2019, 02:12:08 PM
Don't know much about The Beat, only heard their big singles, but I eventually got round to listening to Save It For Later and it's really good, and the video is cute. Therefore sadness.

It's bewildering to me that 'Save It For Later' wasn't a massive hit in the UK in 1982. Completely irresistible pop tune, Dave Wakeling and Ranking Roger a right pair of dreamboats, cool video filmed in some kind of European crypt. It should have been Haircut 100 'Love Plus One' level big that year. To add insult to injury their last dying hit a year later was a re-release of the only remotely skippable track off their debut, the Andy Williams cover. Special Beat Service needs some revaluation, man. That album is full of bangers, 'I Confess', 'Jeanette', 'Rotating Head', 'Sugar And Stress', 'Ackee 1-2-3'. If More Specials can get retrospective plaudits for being nothing like the debut then I think the same could be afforded to Special Beat Service. I think it's a bit of a lost gem.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: non capisco on March 30, 2019, 01:20:51 AM
It's bewildering to me that 'Save It For Later' wasn't a massive hit in the UK in 1982. Completely irresistible pop tune, Dave Wakeling and Ranking Roger a right pair of dreamboats, cool video filmed in some kind of European crypt. It should have been Haircut 100 'Love Plus One' level big that year. To add insult to injury their last dying hit a year later was a re-release of the only remotely skippable track off their debut, the Andy Williams cover. Special Beat Service needs some revaluation, man. That album is full of bangers, 'I Confess', 'Jeanette', 'Rotating Head', 'Sugar And Stress', 'Ackee 1-2-3'. If More Specials can get retrospective plaudits for being nothing like the debut then I think the same could be afforded to Special Beat Service. I think it's a bit of a lost gem.
If you replace 'Sorry' and 'Pato and Roger Go Talk' with 'Hit It' and 'Which Side of the Bed?', I'd rate it very highly. As it is, there's tracks I do skip over, which I can't say for the previous two. But the high points (the songs you mention) are magical, I agree. 

It missed the top 20 here, but America seemed to take to it pretty well, which is perhaps why General Public had such a good start over there, and why 'Save It For Later' still pops up in stuff like the last Spider-Man film.