Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:50:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Getting ready for the post iPod era.

Started by Ian Drunken Smurf, March 27, 2019, 07:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Drunken Smurf

I have an iPod touch from about 2014 (the penultimate generation of them) and I've discovered that the latest Sonos updates won't run on iOS 9.3.5 (the last version for my iPod touch). I don't want to get an Apple mePhone and also don't want to have my music on my phone (Huawei P10). Any suggestions about what to buy. Thanks!

Phil_A

This is the one I've got. Supports micro sd cards, plays pretty much anything you can throw at it, FLAC, WAV, etc.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-a40-series

samadriel

I've got a FiiO x5iii, but I wouldn't recommend it.  It can't seem to keep things in alphabetical order (seriously, how do you get THAT wrong? It must be harder to get a piece of software to show files OUT of order than it is to get it RIGHT), it has a lot of lag, the default software is poor, but using alternative software like foobar is also unacceptably buggy (and it's an Android device, so good luck getting the much-vaunted Rockbox to work).  I mainly got it because the sound hardware had a good rep and it had two microSD slots, but, yeah, I don't think you should get one.

eifion

The earlier Fiio X5's are great. I've got a second generation one that holds all the music I've got on its two SD cards and which has simple scrollwheel-based operation, much like the original iPod. Looking on eBay, though, they seem to sell now for more than the new X5iii's do.

samadriel

I could certainly believe the generation 2s are better, given my problems with the x5iii are wholly software-based (I'm assuming the glitchy alphabeticalisation isn't some sort of hardware issue); the gen 2s aren't Android, are they?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

What's wrong with listening to music on your phone?

QDRPHNC

Any opinions on the Fiio M7? Been thinking of picking one up for a while.

Although to Claude's point above, I have all my music on Google Play Music now, so the idea of maintaining a separate collection of songs on a particular device feels like a step back. Still though, listening to flacs would be nice.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 27, 2019, 02:15:22 PM
What's wrong with listening to music on your phone?
I should have said that at work we have to turn private phones off (it's our line of business that requires this) and work phones are centrally issued and don't let us install music.

eifion

Quote from: samadriel on March 27, 2019, 02:01:14 PM
I could certainly believe the generation 2s are better, given my problems with the x5iii are wholly software-based (I'm assuming the glitchy alphabeticalisation isn't some sort of hardware issue); the gen 2s aren't Android, are they?

No, Fiio's own software, I think. Never had any problem with alphabeticalisation or lag with it.

Spiteface

Quote from: Phil_A on March 27, 2019, 07:58:43 AM
This is the one I've got. Supports micro sd cards, plays pretty much anything you can throw at it, FLAC, WAV, etc.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-a40-series

Pretty much what I'm using since I lost my ipod classic, with a 128GB card. Does the job.

I like iTunes for ease of use, but the Nano is the only iPod without a fucking camera on it, meaning the Touch is out of the question for use in work (security things I can't talk about).

Also, those Sony players, importantly have BUTTONS on them. So I can skip tracks, tweak volume etc without taking the thing fully out of my pocket.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Thanks for your suggestions and I'm having a look at the Sony ones, although the high built-in capacity versions 64Gb+ are horrendously expensive. Good point about buttons over out and out touchscreens. I listen to a lot of podcasts so would be interested to know if any of the suggestions have any known issues about downloading podcasts.