Author Topic: Another Yakuza thread  (Read 4627 times)

Re: Another Yakuza thread
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2020, 05:30:41 PM »
After properly getting into Yakuza 0 including mastering all the mini-games, real estate & cabaret club shit which I never normally do, I downloaded Kiwami and it's... the same game. The map is almost identical, the fight styles are identical, it's like I just wiped my save and went back to the beginning of 0. Not sure I can be arsed with this to be honest. If I skip ahead a few games will I get something that actually feels like a sequel rather than DLC for the game I just exhausted?

I had the same reaction, got obsessed with 0 and just treated Kiwami like it was DLC.

Kiwami 2 does freshen things up a lot so it's worth playing. Really gorgeous engine and the combat is a lot more fluid. Not looking forward to the big step back that is 3-5 remastered though

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2020, 09:31:21 PM »
Sega's managed to milk that Kamurocho map for almost 15 years. I admire that, it's one of the best maps in gaming.

If you want different towns to wander through, the remasters of 3, 4 and 5 might be your best bet.

Yakuza 6, not only has a location other than Kamurocho, but it's also on a different engine, as is Kiwami 2.

Kiwami 2 also has some references to 0 peppered through it, being set in Kamurocho and Sotenbori like 0 was, and having some extra content to play through as Majima.

Bit of a correction here as 4, is mostly all Kamurocho other than a bit of a prison section and some scenes in Okinawa that you can't really explore. It does add some rooftops and underground sections to it though.

I understand roofdog's issue, but I think it's something you have to get used to. It's hard to explain why it doesn't just feel like cheap asset re-use to me - it's just where the majority of the series is set. It's not the same attitude as say a GTA or Assassin's creed game where you want to explore this big new map.

I think with Kiwami 1, you also just have to appreciate it's a mostly quite a straight remake of the original game, with a few changes and additions, so it's just a much more basic game and story.

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2020, 10:26:37 PM »
Bit of a correction here as 4, is mostly all Kamurocho other than a bit of a prison section and some scenes in Okinawa that you can't really explore. It does add some rooftops and underground sections to it though.

Ah, I stand corrected. I don't remember much about 4. I wish I didn't get them as that set, as it made me rush through them faster than I did 0, 6 or the Kiwamis. Didn't help that they kept insisting I play as characters other than Kiryu.

I do love that Kamurocho seems to change slightly over time, makes it feel like a real place. Same can apply to Sotenbori as well.

Actually one of the surreal things was when I went to Japan back in March and the last day, I visited Dotonbori in Osaka, and it almost felt like I was in Kiwami 2.

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2020, 01:41:02 AM »
Can someone else who's played through Kiwami 2 tell me if I missed something due to beers, or is the bit with the castle is as random as it seems? I'm used to entertaining nonsense with this series, but that was a next-level non-sequitur, especially for a main story mission.

Consignia

• Deviant
  • Silver Member
  • 저는 사과예요
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2020, 01:51:29 AM »
I've not played Kiwami 2, but that chapter in the original was totally bat shit. I mean, fighting tigers in hand to hand combat, jesus. I don't think any main story has gone that way since, they do try to at least keep the main line a serious Yakuza style film. The side quests of course continue to be fully mental in ever increasing ways.

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2020, 10:51:46 PM »
Sounds like they kept it the same then. It was rad as hell, but so strange it seemed like a dream sequence. I reckon 0 had the best weird sidequests, some proper laugh out loud moments in those.

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2020, 09:07:39 AM »
Yakuza 0 is one of the funniest games I've ever played overall, but I think there's a bit in Yakuza 6 which is the most I've ever laughed at a game. Ono Michio-kun press conference Q&A where the little girl asks if you have a girlfriend and you can say "Actually, I'm a virgin"

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2020, 07:30:41 PM »
That whole quest line was pretty amazing. The internet cafe bit in 6 also absolutely did me, loved Kiryu's sheer earnest enthusiasm while typing grotty nonsense.

Would like another game series that does comedy well. GTA's satire never seemed actually funny even when I was a teenager.

Tags: