Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:09:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Another Yakuza thread

Started by Jerzy Bondov, March 27, 2019, 10:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josef K

Quote from: The Roofdog on June 11, 2020, 05:42:05 PM
After properly getting into Yakuza 0 including mastering all the mini-games, real estate & cabaret club shit which I never normally do, I downloaded Kiwami and it's... the same game. The map is almost identical, the fight styles are identical, it's like I just wiped my save and went back to the beginning of 0. Not sure I can be arsed with this to be honest. If I skip ahead a few games will I get something that actually feels like a sequel rather than DLC for the game I just exhausted?

I had the same reaction, got obsessed with 0 and just treated Kiwami like it was DLC.

Kiwami 2 does freshen things up a lot so it's worth playing. Really gorgeous engine and the combat is a lot more fluid. Not looking forward to the big step back that is 3-5 remastered though

Thursday

Quote from: Spiteface on June 11, 2020, 07:07:18 PM
Sega's managed to milk that Kamurocho map for almost 15 years. I admire that, it's one of the best maps in gaming.

If you want different towns to wander through, the remasters of 3, 4 and 5 might be your best bet.

Yakuza 6, not only has a location other than Kamurocho, but it's also on a different engine, as is Kiwami 2.

Kiwami 2 also has some references to 0 peppered through it, being set in Kamurocho and Sotenbori like 0 was, and having some extra content to play through as Majima.

Bit of a correction here as 4, is mostly all Kamurocho other than a bit of a prison section and some scenes in Okinawa that you can't really explore. It does add some rooftops and underground sections to it though.

I understand roofdog's issue, but I think it's something you have to get used to. It's hard to explain why it doesn't just feel like cheap asset re-use to me - it's just where the majority of the series is set. It's not the same attitude as say a GTA or Assassin's creed game where you want to explore this big new map.

I think with Kiwami 1, you also just have to appreciate it's a mostly quite a straight remake of the original game, with a few changes and additions, so it's just a much more basic game and story.

Spiteface

Quote from: Thursday on June 12, 2020, 09:31:21 PM
Bit of a correction here as 4, is mostly all Kamurocho other than a bit of a prison section and some scenes in Okinawa that you can't really explore. It does add some rooftops and underground sections to it though.

Ah, I stand corrected. I don't remember much about 4. I wish I didn't get them as that set, as it made me rush through them faster than I did 0, 6 or the Kiwamis. Didn't help that they kept insisting I play as characters other than Kiryu.

I do love that Kamurocho seems to change slightly over time, makes it feel like a real place. Same can apply to Sotenbori as well.

Actually one of the surreal things was when I went to Japan back in March and the last day, I visited Dotonbori in Osaka, and it almost felt like I was in Kiwami 2.

The Crumb

Can someone else who's played through Kiwami 2 tell me if I missed something due to beers, or is the bit with the castle is as random as it seems? I'm used to entertaining nonsense with this series, but that was a next-level non-sequitur, especially for a main story mission.

Consignia

I've not played Kiwami 2, but that chapter in the original was totally bat shit. I mean,
Spoiler alert
fighting tigers in hand to hand combat, jesus.
[close]
I don't think any main story has gone that way since, they do try to at least keep the main line a serious Yakuza style film. The side quests of course continue to be fully mental in ever increasing ways.

The Crumb

Sounds like they kept it the same then. It was rad as hell, but so strange it seemed like a dream sequence. I reckon 0 had the best weird sidequests, some proper laugh out loud moments in those.

Jerzy Bondov

Yakuza 0 is one of the funniest games I've ever played overall, but I think there's a bit in Yakuza 6 which is the most I've ever laughed at a game.
Spoiler alert
Ono Michio-kun press conference Q&A where the little girl asks if you have a girlfriend and you can say "Actually, I'm a virgin"
[close]

The Crumb

That whole quest line was pretty amazing. The internet cafe bit in 6 also absolutely did me, loved Kiryu's sheer earnest enthusiasm
Spoiler alert
while typing grotty nonsense.
[close]

Would like another game series that does comedy well. GTA's satire never seemed actually funny even when I was a teenager.