Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:27:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory leadership contest?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 27, 2019, 12:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will be the next PM? (assuming there is no General Election)

Johnson
24 (12.7%)
Javid
7 (3.7%)
HA HA CUNT
18 (9.5%)
Raab
4 (2.1%)
Rudd
4 (2.1%)
Rees Mogg
5 (2.6%)
Leadsom
4 (2.1%)
May in disguise
16 (8.5%)
Cameron
3 (1.6%)
Fabricant
2 (1.1%)
Another horrible person
43 (22.8%)
Gove
10 (5.3%)
Mourinho
13 (6.9%)
Yamaha
2 (1.1%)
Guffdenim
1 (0.5%)
Liddington
2 (1.1%)
Totnes
1 (0.5%)
Honey I Bummed The Kids
13 (6.9%)
Rudd Gullit
1 (0.5%)
LOLRANDOM
3 (1.6%)
Raoul Moat
5 (2.6%)
Fred West
3 (1.6%)
Worzel FUCKING Gummidge
5 (2.6%)
Lay Gentleman
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 188

Replies From View

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on April 01, 2019, 10:17:46 PM
Quote from: Replies From View on March 31, 2019, 10:01:44 PM
The only way he could be upfront about how much of a cunt he is would be to perpetually dress up as the Child Snatcher.

Imagine admiring him for being gentlemanly whilst saying horrific and stupid things.

You're a Corbyn supporter right?

What's the relevance?

Fambo Number Mive

Rudd now saying she will stand. I doubt she would win as I can't see any Remain candidate becoming PM.

Alberon

She has a constituency majority barely into three figures. If she made it to PM she'd have to be immediately parachuted into a safer seat or face the utter humiliation of possibly losing her seat in a general election.

rjd2

Her moment may have passed. Hancock is the remainer that seems to be getting all the positive coverage at the moment and obviously those backing him want to be their version of Macron.

Rudd could engineer a run off but unless its against a remainer she is fucked.

idunnosomename

also she is Mrs Windrush as far as many are concerned

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Alberon on April 17, 2019, 03:35:12 PM
She has a constituency majority barely into three figures. If she made it to PM she'd have to be immediately parachuted into a safer seat or face the utter humiliation of possibly losing her seat in a general election.

Not impossible but improbable. Recognition alone is worth thousands of extra votes.

Also, she is a stooge for big business, not a career politician. She is already made for life and I doubt would care greatly if she lost.

Fambo Number Mive

Telegraph claims that on Tuesday the 1922 committee will meet to discuss whether the rules should be changed to allow a new bid to remove the Prime Minister.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I imagine that might get some people's backs up. It would effectively be a coup. Anything that's clearly from the right of the party might not be enthusiastically supported unless there's sufficient strength in numbers.

Anyway good job none of them want the "distraction" of a leadership contest and/or election at this profound juncture in British history.

thraxx

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 20, 2019, 01:28:33 PM
Telegraph claims that on Tuesday the 1922 committee will meet to discuss whether the rules should be changed to allow a new bid to remove the Prime Minister.

Who cares about that shit, when did the cunts get a time machine?!

Alberon

I bet very few of them are as forward thinking as the 1920s were.

greenman

I assumed that was the point in time they viewed social standards as having attained perfection.

petril

Quote from: thraxx on April 20, 2019, 04:51:07 PM
Who cares about that shit, when did the cunts get a time machine?!

there's no time travel involved, they always meet just after twenty past seven at night

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-may-tories-push-for-a-second-no-confidence-vote-in-unprecedented-move/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=ijp

If you can't laugh at the downfall of people who have voluntarily and arbitrarily pushed disabled and mentally ill people to suicide and death, then you can't laugh full stop.

Fambo Number Mive

Johnson is now favourite to be Tory leader according to Conservative Home poll.

I'm surprised, given how he annoyed Tory Brexiteers when he voted for May's deal.

The millions he wasted on the Garden Bridge clearly don't bother the Tories either.

I think Boris would be far worse for the country than May.

Zetetic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Boris is the political embodiment of the We're British We'll Bluster And Muddle Through Without These Bloody Foreigners Telling Us What To Do, and the most anti-May, and no-one else is campaigning really apart from him just now, so no wonder he's the fucking favourite.

olliebean

Quote from: Zetetic on April 29, 2019, 06:18:31 PM
Favourite amongst Tory MPs?

Amongst Tory members, presumably. There seems to be a fairly broad consensus amongst commentators that the parliamentary party would very likely split if he became leader.

bgmnts

Spent the last month or so with a 19 year old Pakistani Tory from Oldham who really respects Rees-Mogg and hopes he becomes leader but he thinks BoJo will nab it.

Alberon

Under the current system he has no hope of being in the final two candidates chosen by MPs for the final ballot by the Tory Membership.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Alberon on April 30, 2019, 09:20:31 PM
Under the current system he has no hope of being in the final two candidates chosen by MPs for the final ballot by the Tory Membership.

Surely these bookies are aware of that too - so what gives?

imitationleather

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 30, 2019, 10:10:08 PM
Surely these bookies are aware of that too - so what gives?

Loads of people who don't understand how it works laying money on him?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: imitationleather on April 30, 2019, 10:26:57 PM
Loads of people who don't understand how it works laying money on him?

I don't understand how betting works that well.

Setting him as favourite is good then as it reduces the bookies risk but encourages more people to place a bet the bookies think they'll never pay out on?

Alberon

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 30, 2019, 10:30:10 PM
I don't understand how betting works that well.

Setting him as favourite is good then as it reduces the bookies risk but encourages more people to place a bet the bookies think they'll never pay out on?

Yep. The one thing you can depend on is how much most of the Tory MPs despise Boris. There is a small chance they could fuck it up and he manages to be one of the last two standing, but it's not huge possibility.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Well, on the political strategy front I understand Boris is waiting for some critical ideal moment where Leave is under threat and May is at her weakest. There seem to have been new lows all the time on that front. I wouldn't be sure of any sound decision making on behalf of the Tories in Westminster. Some of the supposed 'centre' of whatever this fucking party even is now have flip-flopped twice on the deal and it seems conceivable they would fall behind some 'strong leader for The Nation' type who doesn't vacillate or fudge things but DOES THINGS, no matter how shit they are, he DOES them. Tories love that. A bit of patriotic chest puffing always helped in the past in a Tory leadership contest. Also, the field does seem rather crowded of less psycho-Leave candidates who seem to be standing as the anti-Boris option.

I personally think he's past his prime and it would be quite a coup if he managed it, but they might just about get him powdered up enough and in the right conditions, selectable enough for that appalling crowd of human wreckage*

*and that's just Westminster, observing the wreckage in the Tory membership is like staring into the eyes of the basilisk

Fambo Number Mive

Why do so many Tory Mps despise Johnson but the membership love him? Do Mps just know more about what he's really like?

petril

MPs have to work with him. Members don't.

Quote from: Alberon on April 30, 2019, 10:32:55 PM
Yep. The one thing you can depend on is how much most of the Tory MPs despise Boris. There is a small chance they could fuck it up and he manages to be one of the last two standing, but it's not huge possibility.

For now.

But give enough centrist resignations of the whip, enough centrist deselections at by-elections/whenever we get a general, and a potential lurch further to the populist right to try to cover off Farage's momentum and you've got all the elements that could potentially deliver Johnson straight into number 10.

Alberon

If the last few years have shown anything it is that nothing is impossible in politics.

I think Trump getting into office has hurt Boris among the general public. Seeing what happens when a political joke gets elected has made it a lot less funny.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Alberon on May 01, 2019, 11:59:12 AM
If the last few years have shown anything it is that nothing is impossible in politics.

I think Trump getting into office has hurt Boris among the general public. Seeing what happens when a political joke gets elected has made it a lot less funny.

I tend to think the opposite. Seeing these people elected and it not being the disaster it was portrayed to be (if you're white and male) makes it all the more normal. The normalisation of extremes is in play right now because so many people believe rampant free market capitalism to be 'the centre'.