Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:08:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory leadership contest?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 27, 2019, 12:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will be the next PM? (assuming there is no General Election)

Johnson
24 (12.7%)
Javid
7 (3.7%)
HA HA CUNT
18 (9.5%)
Raab
4 (2.1%)
Rudd
4 (2.1%)
Rees Mogg
5 (2.6%)
Leadsom
4 (2.1%)
May in disguise
16 (8.5%)
Cameron
3 (1.6%)
Fabricant
2 (1.1%)
Another horrible person
43 (22.8%)
Gove
10 (5.3%)
Mourinho
13 (6.9%)
Yamaha
2 (1.1%)
Guffdenim
1 (0.5%)
Liddington
2 (1.1%)
Totnes
1 (0.5%)
Honey I Bummed The Kids
13 (6.9%)
Rudd Gullit
1 (0.5%)
LOLRANDOM
3 (1.6%)
Raoul Moat
5 (2.6%)
Fred West
3 (1.6%)
Worzel FUCKING Gummidge
5 (2.6%)
Lay Gentleman
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 188

Sebastian Cobb

Probably not now Hunt has got the knives out.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: sponk on June 24, 2019, 05:20:54 PM
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/three-men-injured-in-separate-acid-attacks-within-hours-of-each-other-in-east-london-a4173521.html

I've got a feeling this story, if it blows up, will cause a big "ban bloody burkas" backlash, benefiting Boris.

These kindof things have already happened before (several times in fact) and it turned to not be Muslim women but white men dressing up in burkas to commit crimes.

Begs the question though do crimes become more appallingly if you know the nationality of the offender?

Buelligan

We could test it. 

Read the following sentences and record your alarm, scoring 1 to 10.  1 = calm as a duck.  10 = really rather worked up, possibly like a turkey or enraged boar.

Blair is British.
Blair is Scottish.
Blair is Iraqi.

How did you score?

sponk

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on June 24, 2019, 05:50:29 PM
These kindof things have already happened before (several times in fact) and it turned to not be Muslim women but white men dressing up in burkas to commit crimes.

Begs the question though do crimes become more appallingly if you know the nationality of the offender?

I don't think the race or nationality of the offenders matters. Its the burkas that matter and with Johnson's anti-burka comments a few months ago, this could play well with his base.

Buelligan

Yeah it's a brilliant machiavellian scheme.  I'm just glad people who aren't fatuous berks are watching these things.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Jasha on June 24, 2019, 03:13:03 PM
What kind of  "Corbynista Curtain Twitcher" records neighbours rowing lurks in the undergrowth taking surreptitious photos of a private couple?
Priti Patel wants back in the cabinet

Fambo Number Mive

pigamus

Max Hastings doesn't fuck about.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/24/boris-johnson-prime-minister-tory-party-britain

"Like many showy personalities, he is of weak character. I recently suggested to a radio audience that he supposes himself to be Winston Churchill, while in reality being closer to Alan Partridge."

Blue Jam

BoJo has broken cover but is still dodging questions about the row with his partner:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48751527

idunnosomename

Maintain Boris Johnson isn't as stupid as some of his supporters who he's obvs offering jobs to (Cleverley, Truss, Patel) but he is so unbelievably lazy he can never operate at the level needed for higher office. He should be dribbling out hack columns, not running the country.

I mean he's probably just so sad he can't work on the classics because he can't be bothered to read anyone else's scholarship on Juvenal or Catullus

Buelligan

I don't know but I'd guess that not doing anything stupid was about as important for Johnson right now as it's ever been.  My inclination, giving that he simply can't be arsed or isn't capable of controlling his own temper at this critical point for himself, would be to judge the man clearly not up to carrying the responsibilities of Prime Minister with any sort of responsibility.  If he can't behave for a couple of days to achieve his lifetime ambition, what's the betting he'll let the country down over a year or two, even a few weeks? 

Regardless of politics (and I hate his), he just does not have the minerals. 

BlodwynPig

Its worse that Buellers

It's

Danger Man

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 24, 2019, 10:09:58 PM
BoJo has broken cover but is still dodging questions about the row with his partner:

I'll only do an interview with somebody who wants me to be PM

LAURA!!!!!

BlodwynPig

Awful interview

...yes i am a criminal BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT

gib

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 24, 2019, 10:09:58 PM

I can't be the only person who keeps seeing sentences that look like they were churned out by TalktoTransformer.

QuoteAnd he says he would be able do that before resolving the most controversial conundrum - how you fix the dilemma over the Irish border.

He clearly believes he has the political skill to pull that off. He and his supporters would say that is a plan.

But it is a plan that is full of ifs and buts - either heroic or foolhardy assumptions to imagine that EU leaders and Parliament would be ready to back his vision - and back it by Halloween - on an extremely tight deadline.

mothman

Quote from: pigamus on June 24, 2019, 09:22:17 PM
Max Hastings doesn't fuck about.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/24/boris-johnson-prime-minister-tory-party-britain

"Like many showy personalities, he is of weak character. I recently suggested to a radio audience that he supposes himself to be Winston Churchill, while in reality being closer to Alan Partridge."

Any Tory who bothers to read that will just see "Johnson is the only one who can beat Corbyn" and leave it at that. Which I suspect is the point. Hastings isn't going to do anything to loosen the Right Sort's death grip on power.

Danger Man

Paul Calf said it a few pages ago, the Tory party has become a death cult.

Urinal Cake

They're not a death cult. They just don't need to worry if the country goes down the shitter because they think they'll be alright.

Johnson is their life-affirming ubermensch. He doesn't need to answer to anyone.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Urinal Cake on June 24, 2019, 11:23:03 PM
They're not a death cult. They just don't need to worry if the country goes down the shitter because they think they'll be alright.

Or dead.

chveik

they won't though. mankind will probably be extinct in 20 years. the term "death cult" is very accurate.

The Culture Bunker

Johnson at his worst, they think there's still a chance some of the loot trickles down to them.

With Corbyn, all their money goes to immigrants, cripples and the gays. It's not even close to a choice.

Quote from: chveik on June 24, 2019, 11:28:17 PM
they won't though. mankind will probably be extinct in 20 years. the term "death cult" is very accurate.
I'm not sure. "Death cult" sort of suggests those involved are expected some kind of glorious future in this life or the next, I suspect the people we're talking about are more looking backwards.

holyzombiejesus

We might have covered this but what's the thinking with the whole Johnson will beat Corbyn thing? I can't see any area whatsoever where Johnson can trump Corbyn. All Corbyn's 'flaws' will be negated by Johnson's host of fuck-ups, unpleasantness and bigotry.

Urinal Cake

I think the point from that article is that the Labour Party would probably win a GE if Commie like Corbyn was not the leader but Tories will read it as Johnson is best placed to win.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, I get that. Elsewhere I've heard and read that Tories feel Johnson is the candidate most likely to defeat Corbyn and I don't understand that thinking.

sponk

Quote from: jamiefairlie on June 24, 2019, 11:48:01 PM
In one word, is why he will win.

It's a fine line though, keeping the millions of bigoted Tory voters while not putting off the millions of swing voters who will hate any kind of open bigotry. He'll need to start polishing his dog-whistle.

imitationleather

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 24, 2019, 11:56:05 PM
Yeah, I get that. Elsewhere I've heard and read that Tories feel Johnson is the candidate most likely to defeat Corbyn and I don't understand that thinking.

They appear to think he has mass appeal. I'm not feeling it, though. The guy looks like a wobbly incompetent mess whenever I see him. Everything about him is a train running out of steam. I think Hunt has the bland aura of legitimacy that will make him seem like a safe pair of hands and so far more likely to beat Corbyn. Don't tell the Conservatives this, though!

Zetetic

'Swing' voters largely irrelevant, unless you mean losing Conservative voters to Lib Dems, maybe.

Many centr-ish Conservative voters will tolerate open bigotry if the alternative is a sufficiently scary Labour+SNP coalition.