Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:32:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory leadership contest?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 27, 2019, 12:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will be the next PM? (assuming there is no General Election)

Johnson
24 (12.7%)
Javid
7 (3.7%)
HA HA CUNT
18 (9.5%)
Raab
4 (2.1%)
Rudd
4 (2.1%)
Rees Mogg
5 (2.6%)
Leadsom
4 (2.1%)
May in disguise
16 (8.5%)
Cameron
3 (1.6%)
Fabricant
2 (1.1%)
Another horrible person
43 (22.8%)
Gove
10 (5.3%)
Mourinho
13 (6.9%)
Yamaha
2 (1.1%)
Guffdenim
1 (0.5%)
Liddington
2 (1.1%)
Totnes
1 (0.5%)
Honey I Bummed The Kids
13 (6.9%)
Rudd Gullit
1 (0.5%)
LOLRANDOM
3 (1.6%)
Raoul Moat
5 (2.6%)
Fred West
3 (1.6%)
Worzel FUCKING Gummidge
5 (2.6%)
Lay Gentleman
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 188

ajsmith2

Quote from: Replies From View on May 16, 2019, 04:16:25 PM
LIVE FOR TODAY

is her motto and very good it is too

Imagine May singing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySjxZDT_5SA

With Creed Bratton from The Office standing behind her.

Jittlebags

How are the Brexit numbers going to change if the Golden Deceiver BoJo lands in the job? Surely you need to mix it up with a GM to unblock the U Bend.

Fambo Number Mive

Yougov reckons the Tory members will go for Boris: https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1129434213160296448

Will Tory MPs be guided by their members or will they stick to their knowledge of Johnson?

Too many members of the public are still fooled by Johnson's superficial image. The media love him because he gives them copy with his antics. He knows how to use the media. And his decision to vote for May's deal has been forgotten by a lot of Tory members.

It's important to remind non-political people and Tory members of what Johnson is really like.

greencalx

Looks like this might be on now, lads.

I've been trying to work out what strategies and positions contenders might take, particularly on Brexit. It seems to me the options are:

1. The no deal (or, more accurately, do nothing) position.

Has the advantage that the incumbent doesn't actually have to do anything - the clock will tick down to Halloween and that will be that. With the additional advantage of being able to plan for three months to stop it going arse over tip. Might claw back votes from the Brexit party. (But, equally, might not).

This strategy will appeal to Boris, Leadsom and probably a bunch of others. But why have any of them when you can have Boris? The risk is that anti no-deal Tories might grow a spine and resign the whip if Boris gets in. But they won't, because they are Tories. And with no votes needed, there will be nothing to rebel against. If they want to stop this from happening, they will need to get Boris off the ballot before it goes to the members. Expect skullduggery.

2. The try-where-May-failed position.

Valiantly try and lacquer that turd of a withdrawal agreement. Maybe a bit of charisma and a few tweaks (and backhanders) might be enough to stop the ERG roasting you, and then you will be done.

You'd be mad to attempt this, but I could possibly see some variant of this strategy appealing to May loyalists like Hunt and Gove.

3. The national unity position.

Fuck the ERG and the Brexit party and get Labour on your side by basically accepting their compromise position, customs union, 2nd ref and all. Has the advantage of being something that might actually get through parliament, with the added bonus of being able to blame Corbyn when it all goes wrong. Unlikely to be a vote winner, so won't happen. Could appeal to Rudd and wild-card Davidson, neither of whom would win a contest (Rudd on account of her slim majority; Davidson on account of her Scottishness).

4. The let's-talk-about something else position.

Let's face it, we're never going to get anywhere with Brexit, so let's focus on more important domestic issues instead. Give a sufficiently convincing impression of incompetence that an A50 revocation looks like an accident ("oh sorry, I clicked 'reply to all'. Oh well, no harm done"). I think that's unlikely outside of TINGE.

imitationleather

Liz Truss has bowed out?! No slap-up meal at Ury for us, then. :(

JesusAndYourBush

On the news they explained the process of the leadership contest: a long drawn-out shitshow through June & July, during which time May continues to be PM.  Fuckssakes.

Replies From View

Who are June and July, and what does it mean "through" them?

greencalx

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 26, 2019, 02:15:12 AM
On the news they explained the process of the leadership contest: a long drawn-out shitshow through June & July, during which time May continues to be PM.  Fuckssakes.

I think that's part of the reason why they had a coronation last time. I don't think they will make that mistake again.

To be fair, it's not much quicker on the other side of the house.

Fambo Number Mive

The focus on the leadership candidates will mainly be about Brexit, but they need to be asked about many other things like what they will do about abuse in the care system.

Alberon

Gove is running (not for his life, sadly) so the contest against Johnson will step up a notch. Every other candidate will be trying to take Boris down if only because he's the front runner rather than principles.

greencalx

Farage has blasted Boris as not being a true Brexit believer, so if he won't win back the Brexit vote there's little reason to have him at the helm.

Fambo Number Mive

McVey wants an invisible Brexit  border: https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1132565899918106624

Dominic Raab says there is already "headroom" for £15bn tax cuts. That's another £15bn less for public services which are already barely coping.

QuoteDom Raab asked how he will fund his 5p cut in the basic rate of income tax

He says he will cut down the number of Whitehall departments and talks about making significant efficiencies in public sector procurement

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1132581245018431490

If Raab gets in he will ramp up austerity - although I suspect any of the candidates will using Brexit as an excuse.

Raab gave a good showing on Marr. Be interesting to hear Baker.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 26, 2019, 11:06:43 AM
McVey wants an invisible Brexit  border: https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1132565899918106624

Dominic Raab says there is already "headroom" for £15bn tax cuts. That's another £15bn less for public services which are already barely coping.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1132581245018431490

If Raab gets in he will ramp up austerity - although I suspect any of the candidates will using Brexit as an excuse.

I do wonder what's now going through the minds of the shit-for-brains Lexit dickheads.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 26, 2019, 08:26:03 AM
The focus on the leadership candidates will mainly be about Brexit, but they need to be asked about many other things like what they will do about abuse in the care system.
Allow me to answer this one on behalf of all present and future candidates for the leadership of the Conservative Party: "Fuck all"

Fambo Number Mive

True, but I do think the media at least needs to hold them to account for this.

Fambo Number Mive

idunnosomename

whoever wins

WHOEVER WINS

WHOEVER WINS.....

fuck

Frustrated that no one picked him up in that clip on the economic illiteracy that the "debt will start to come down" while the "deficit has come down from [X] to [Y]" (but not eliminated).  If there's still a deficit, then debt continues to increase, albeit by a smaller amount.  Either he's an idiot, or he's playing us all for idiots.  A perfect contender for next Tory leader, frankly.

olliebean

It could be worse than that. The Tories still don't have a parliamentary majority. AIUI, the leader of the largest party doesn't automatically become PM; they have to show that they have majority support in Parliament. So if the DUP don't play ball, they'll have to come to an arrangement with some other party.

If the new Tory leader can't command the support of a majority in the Commons, I gather Theresa May remains as PM by default until they, or someone else, can.

It probably won't be an issue, though, as I imagine the Chiggers would jump over themselves to enable the Tories given the chance.

imitationleather

Quote from: olliebean on May 26, 2019, 02:10:08 PM
It could be worse than that. The Tories still don't have a parliamentary majority. AIUI, the leader of the largest party doesn't automatically become PM; they have to show that they have majority support in Parliament. So if the DUP don't play ball, they'll have to come to an arrangement with some other party.

If the new Tory leader can't command the support of a majority in the Commons, I gather Theresa May remains as PM by default until they, or someone else, can.

It probably won't be an issue, though, as I imagine the Chiggers would jump over themselves to enable the Tories given the chance.

Cable would probably decide he wasn't going after all if he could get back with the Tories.

greencalx

Would a new leader need to prorogue parliament and start a new session - or can they just continue with the old one? For that matter, is there any particular need to have a Queens speech each year? Does it confer any kind of advantage?

My heart says Boris, because its about time we had a fictional character as Prime Minister.

I'll probably be voting for Will Quince though.

Fambo Number Mive

Gove has actually had a good idea. Whether he will stick to it is another matter: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/27/michael-gove-to-pledge-free-citizenship-for-3m-eu-nationals

Will the other candidates follow Gove on this?

Talking of Gove, you can read about his time presenting on A Stab In The Dark here: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,73414.0.html

kalowski

Buelligan

What would happen if May decided during that time to call a General Election?

greencalx

Quote from: Buelligan on May 27, 2019, 10:25:50 PM
What would happen if May decided during that time to call a General Election?

Fixed term parliament act doesn't let her. I mean she could try but there would need to be a 2/3 majority which, under those circumstances, she's not going to get. Nice idea though.

The alternative would be to hold a vote of no confidence in herself. Which, being May, she would lose.

Zetetic

Or she just resigns as PM. (And maybe David Lidington or someone, I don't know, gets quickly decided as the bloke to recommend to the Queen to install for a few weeks on the strict understanding that he sits on his hands.)