Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:28:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory leadership contest?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 27, 2019, 12:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will be the next PM? (assuming there is no General Election)

Johnson
24 (12.7%)
Javid
7 (3.7%)
HA HA CUNT
18 (9.5%)
Raab
4 (2.1%)
Rudd
4 (2.1%)
Rees Mogg
5 (2.6%)
Leadsom
4 (2.1%)
May in disguise
16 (8.5%)
Cameron
3 (1.6%)
Fabricant
2 (1.1%)
Another horrible person
43 (22.8%)
Gove
10 (5.3%)
Mourinho
13 (6.9%)
Yamaha
2 (1.1%)
Guffdenim
1 (0.5%)
Liddington
2 (1.1%)
Totnes
1 (0.5%)
Honey I Bummed The Kids
13 (6.9%)
Rudd Gullit
1 (0.5%)
LOLRANDOM
3 (1.6%)
Raoul Moat
5 (2.6%)
Fred West
3 (1.6%)
Worzel FUCKING Gummidge
5 (2.6%)
Lay Gentleman
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 188

mothman

Quote from: Danger Man on July 04, 2019, 05:37:00 PM
You sound like me when I was in my 'Rik from the Young Ones' phase at university. But this time I think you might be right.
I'd prefer not to be...

Sebastian Cobb

It'll be martial law but with all that computer shit they have in China that automatically finds 'dissent' be that actual terrorism plots or j-walking or using a mobile (or scratching your face) while driving.

Head Gardener

mothman

I said it before earlier upthread, but hear people see absolutely no worth in democracy. Apart from that one last final time where it puts them in charge forever. They'll talk about the will of the people - quite handy when despite all the shit they've pulled over the past forty years it turns out most people are actually as hateful and hate-filled as they are - but really it's the will of THEIR people. They'll cling onto power in the name of the 17.4million long after most of that number are dead.

olliebean

YouGov apparently keeps asking a question about whether people want a strong leader who doesn't have to bother with parliament or elections, last count about 40% of people said yes. It's the same thing they've been doing with the NHS, basically make the current system look so shit that people will eventually support it being replaced with something objectively worse.

Blue Jam

Quote from: olliebean on July 05, 2019, 08:40:34 AM
YouGov apparently keeps asking a question about whether people want a strong leader who doesn't have to bother with parliament or elections, last count about 40% of people said yes.

The Rise And Rise Of Michael Rimmer?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: olliebean on July 05, 2019, 08:40:34 AM
YouGov apparently keeps asking a question about whether people want a strong leader who doesn't have to bother with parliament or elections, last count about 40% of people said yes. It's the same thing they've been doing with the NHS, basically make the current system look so shit that people will eventually support it being replaced with something objectively worse.

Describe for me, the process by which yougov operates - from concept to execution. It needs to be destroyed

dr beat

With that current top story, HIGNFY doesn't have to do any work this week.

EOLAN

So J Hunt is going to slash Corporation tax to 12.5%. Reduce the number of companies paying rates so that almost 80% don't. Going to set up a fund of billions to fund farmers and fishermen (mentioning almost with pride that the same was done with banks.)

Is any one out there asking him where all this money is going to come from when there is unlikely to be a huge splurge in GDP after Brexit. Where is the magic money tree that Labour are accused of. And will those people who were targeted with austerity and made suffer as part of their patriotic duty be allowed any benefits. Yes I know the answer and that it is only a Tory election so such issues won't be cared about but do hope he and Boris with similar spending expansions are questioned more.

Dr Rock

It's going to 'turbo-charge the economy' Absolute bollocks. It doesn't actually seem a very popular idea and reinforces the idea that Tories would give tax breaks to people/corporations that don't need it.

Dr Rock

Neither are being given a tough time by the media for their idiotic ideas from what I've seen, but that's hardly a surprise.

Blumf

Hunt's brain farts really do reinforce the idea that he only hangs out with billionaires and landed gentry. Almost certainly hasn't freely spoken to anybody with a net worth below one million in over a decade. Communicates with his gardener via solicitor's letters. The nanny via passive-aggressive post-it notes.

Jockice

Quote from: Blumf on July 05, 2019, 11:11:35 AM
Hunt's brain farts really do reinforce the idea that he only hangs out with billionaires and landed gentry. Almost certainly hasn't freely spoken to anybody with a net worth below one million in over a decade. Communicates with his gardener via solicitor's letters. The nanny via passive-aggressive post-it notes.

I've met him and I'm a peasant. I even shook hands with him. It was a long time ago though, and I'm still considering amputation.

In the words of Paul Heaton in the Beautiful South's I Think The Answer's Yes: ''I'm walking through these pastures, I'm picking up sweet fruit. I'm shaking hands with people that previously I'd shoot. But nothing will dissuade me, nothing will dilute. I want to execute.''

The thing I get from Hunt is that same thing I got from May. He's just an empty vessel being thrashed about from all sides, all in the name of a career from which he gains no pride or satisfaction but because he's so far in he doesn't know what else to do but soldier onward. "I've been foreign secretary, so I suppose I should be Prime Minister next."

To try to find a motivation for Hunt's policies and behaviour is pointless. He's literally chucking his strategists and donors' shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Ferris

Panbaams

More than 1000 members have been sent two ballot papers by mistake: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48890803

It's good to know that our futures are in such capable hands.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Panbaams on July 06, 2019, 07:21:10 AM
More than 1000 members have been sent two ballot papers by mistake: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48890803

It's good to know that our futures are in such capable hands.

These are Conservatives though mate. These people are the bedrock of our society, solid upstanding citizens. They're not going to cheat to win an election.

Panbaams

Maybe it's for members that are in two minds, like Boris Johnson and those two Brexit articles.

New folder

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 05, 2019, 08:47:03 AM
Describe for me, the process by which yougov operates - from concept to execution. It needs to be destroyed

BlodwynPig

Quote from: New folder on July 06, 2019, 09:41:58 PM

Ha! quite apt considering my work....however you are off the mark here as this process does good (carbon removal/transformation to energy/resource recovery etc)

Fambo Number Mive

David Mitchell has written a Guardian column saying Hunt is the "safer bet". Lots of mention of robotics, no mention of austerity or the NHS.

Meanwhile Hunt is trying to come across as more exciting, it seems: https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1147495203110100992

mothman

... because we all know the NHS is safe in Johnson's hands, and an end to austerity is guaranteed under our new flaxen-haired overlord? So somebody else has come out and say that if it's a choice between Johnson & Hunt, they'd sooner have Hunt? So what? Plenty of people are making that calculation. Some in this thread have.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 07, 2019, 03:44:19 PM
David Mitchell has written a Guardian column saying Hunt is the "safer bet". Lots of mention of robotics, no mention of austerity or the NHS.

It's because he's a comedy writer, and the piece has jokes in it. He makes it clear they are both awful.

New folder

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 06, 2019, 10:02:47 PM
Ha! quite apt considering my work....however you are off the mark here as this process does good (carbon removal/transformation to energy/resource recovery etc)

It's a matter of perspective - The public opinion is the sewage, which is processed into clean pro-neocon ToryExtract, conveniently suitable for current governmental needs. Or something. I don't quite know where this metaphor is going.

Sebastian Cobb

Does yougov still basically pay a pittance to people for filling in surveys? If that's the case it's only ever going to be in step with cost-of-everything-value-of-nothing misers with too much time on their hands.

Ferris

Can this really be an actual quote?

Quote from: Angry Telegraph Columnist
It's the arrogance. It's the contempt. That's what gets me. It's Gordon Brown's apparent belief that he can just trample on the democratic will of the British people. It's at moments like this that I think the political world has gone mad, and I am alone in detecting the gigantic fraud.They voted for Anthony Charles Lynton Blair to serve as their leader. They were at no stage invited to vote on whether Gordon Brown should be PM... They voted for Tony, and yet they now get Gordon, and a transition about as democratically proper as the transition from Claudius to Nero. It is a scandal. Why are we all conniving in this stitch-up? This is nothing less than a palace coup... with North Korean servility, the Labour Party has handed power over to the brooding Scottish power-maniac. The extraordinary thing is that it looks as though he will now be in 10 Downing Street for three years, and without a mandate from the British people. No one elected Gordon Brown as Prime Minister...

- Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson writing in the Telegraph, 2007

Replies From View

Yes, it is real.

We all remember the ballot paper saying "Tony Blair" rather than "Labour" of course.  Johnson hasn't yet said he won't call a general election after becoming leader, I suppose, so he could yet show himself not to be a hypocrite in this one solitary example.

katzenjammer

Yeah but it's from 2007 so it doesn't count.  That's how things work

olliebean

Also he was just joking, as he was about anything he ever said that doesn't align with what he later said or did or objective truth.