Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:11:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory leadership contest?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 27, 2019, 12:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will be the next PM? (assuming there is no General Election)

Johnson
24 (12.7%)
Javid
7 (3.7%)
HA HA CUNT
18 (9.5%)
Raab
4 (2.1%)
Rudd
4 (2.1%)
Rees Mogg
5 (2.6%)
Leadsom
4 (2.1%)
May in disguise
16 (8.5%)
Cameron
3 (1.6%)
Fabricant
2 (1.1%)
Another horrible person
43 (22.8%)
Gove
10 (5.3%)
Mourinho
13 (6.9%)
Yamaha
2 (1.1%)
Guffdenim
1 (0.5%)
Liddington
2 (1.1%)
Totnes
1 (0.5%)
Honey I Bummed The Kids
13 (6.9%)
Rudd Gullit
1 (0.5%)
LOLRANDOM
3 (1.6%)
Raoul Moat
5 (2.6%)
Fred West
3 (1.6%)
Worzel FUCKING Gummidge
5 (2.6%)
Lay Gentleman
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 188

Buelligan

I can't help feeling she should take them all down with her, if not legally then she must think the unthinkable, it's the only way she can ever redeem her legacy.

If they can't get Ruth Davidson, I think Rory Stewart is the dark horse to watch.

Rory Stewart seems like the most human of all the contenders, which is weird given that he looks like a cartoon.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If Rory Stewart is the grown up in the room we should all worry. I'd be more reassured by a drainpipe with a turd arranged in the shape of a smile.

Likewise Jeremy Hunt as a moderate. The man's achievements are softening up the media for further Murdoch dominance and dismantling the NHS piece by piece.

Anyway it seems like No Deal is going to face massive resistance and possibly No Confidence. McDonnell said he wasn't expecting a Tory revolt but I think he is goading them for when the time comes.

What a selection of shitty people and shitty political choices.

steveh

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 28, 2019, 07:33:18 AM
Likewise Jeremy Hunt as a moderate. The man's achievements are softening up the media for further Murdoch dominance and dismantling the NHS piece by piece.

Let's also not forget his introduction of local TV which he was advised wasn't going to work in the way he wanted to do it but he forced through anyway and now the with only a couple of exceptions has turned out to be a disaster. Worse, it's resulted in a chunk of the licence fee meant to be used for local journalism which the BBC could share going to one private company who are buying up most of the channels and producing work so poor it never gets used but they still get the money for.

Urinal Cake

It's probably going to be Boris. Boris and Trump leading the world to a great new future.

pigamus

If they were canny they'd go for Sajid Javid. If they got a brown leader they'd be able to crow about that forever and a day.

Fambo Number Mive

there appears to be a campaign to get Tory MPs to "keep Boris on the ballot": https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1133158165799931904

Kit Malthouse, Housing Minister, is now standing in the leadership contest.

Panbaams

Paul Calf

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 28, 2019, 09:13:52 AM
there appears to be a campaign to get Tory MPs to "keep Boris on the ballot": https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1133158165799931904

Kit Malthouse, Housing Minister, is now standing in the leadership contest.

"Leadership For A Better Future"

"Microsoft Campaign Maker has detected that you are trying to make a campaign for public office. Would you like to fuck it off with a generic template so you can get back on the phone to Oleg Deripaska to receive your instructions?"

jobotic

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 28, 2019, 10:04:29 AM

That's exactly the sort of thing you get written under the name of an academy school.

Cuellar

I am pleased to announce that I am standing the leadership contest.

Buelligan

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 28, 2019, 10:04:29 AM

Being honest, the way the UK's been going, the future would probably be a lot better if the tories sacked off the whole leadership bit.   No offence.

pigamus

Partnership future in the inclusive leadership brighter justice faith for all community going forward

Fambo Number Mive

Blair thinks the Tories should not hold a General Election.

I hope we do see TV debates as well as each candidate interrogated by a suitably tough person.

Danger Man

They don't have to do TV debates, do they? It's an internal affair, not a national one.

Fambo Number Mive

They don't have to, but I think they should.

Panbaams

Icehaven

I'd actually not realised it goes to a ballot of party members once it's down to the final two, I thought it was all just decided by Tory MPs. So is it fairly likely that by that stage one will be a clear favourite so the other will just withdraw rather than string the whole thing out?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on May 28, 2019, 10:38:38 AM
I am pleased to announce that I am standing the leadership contest.

I too am pleased to announce that I am standing the leadership contest.

Danger Man

QuoteI'd actually not realised it goes to a ballot of party members once it's down to the final two, I thought it was all just decided by Tory MPs. So is it fairly likely that by that stage one will be a clear favourite so the other will just withdraw rather than string the whole thing out?

That's what happened last time. Leadsom withdrew and May was crowned PM without it going to the party ballot.

It's thought that if Johnson can get to the last two then he'll win the ballot. So the next few weeks will see 8 of the 9 candidates all trying to bring him down.

Phil_A

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 28, 2019, 12:25:23 PM
I too am pleased to announce that I am standing the leadership contest.

I'm not entering the leadership contest, but I am standing. I'll probably sit down in a minute.

Icehaven

Quote from: Danger Man on May 28, 2019, 12:26:47 PM
That's what happened last time. Leadsom withdrew and May was crowned PM without it going to the party ballot.

It's thought that if Johnson can get to the last two then he'll win the ballot. So the next few weeks will see 8 of the 9 candidates all trying to bring him down.

Yep I remember that happening with Leadsom, was that because she knew she'd lose a ballot or because she was mean about Theresa may not having children, or a bit of both?
I don't know enough about grassroots Tory politics but if it is the case that Boris would definitely win then I guess it's more likely the other candidate will just withdraw rather than drag everyone through a party members ballot as that'd take a while to organise surely? I'm presuming it only happens when there isn't a clear favourite and/or it's close enough to give it a shot.

I remember when Boris gave his 'shock' announcement that he wasn't going to run in the post-Cameron leadership election, a few prescient types said then he's just biding his time because whoever wins has to try and negotiate Brexit and they're going to crash and burn whoever they are, so Boris is keeping well out of that and will likely swoop in as their replacement in a few years. Which is exactly what's happening.

idunnosomename

Gonna be like 15 to 1 at this rate

jobotic

Quote from: icehaven on May 28, 2019, 01:04:40 PM
Yep I remember that happening with Leadsom, was that because she knew she'd lose a ballot or because she was mean about Theresa may not having children, or a bit of both?
I don't know enough about grassroots Tory politics but if it is the case that Boris would definitely win then I guess it's more likely the other candidate will just withdraw rather than drag everyone through a party members ballot as that'd take a while to organise surely? I'm presuming it only happens when there isn't a clear favourite and/or it's close enough to give it a shot.

I remember when Boris gave his 'shock' announcement that he wasn't going to run in the post-Cameron leadership election, a few prescient types said then he's just biding his time because whoever wins has to try and negotiate Brexit and they're going to crash and burn whoever they are, so Boris is keeping well out of that and will likely swoop in as their replacement in a few years. Which is exactly what's happening.

Brexit, the whole shitshow, all about Tory politics.

Why don't they just give it to whoever is richest as they will be the most worthy as a person.

Dr Rock

But whoever wins is facing the same situation. One of the reasons I think Boris doesn't really want the job. And I agree he didn't want the job last time.

Icehaven

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 28, 2019, 01:25:52 PM
But whoever wins is facing the same situation. One of the reasons I think Boris doesn't really want the job. And I agree he didn't want the job last time.

Maybe, although maybe there's also the thinking that any further messes can quite convincingly be blamed on May/the last 3 years of turmoil and anyone even just about managing to finally get it through in some form or other is going to look like a fucking superhero in comparison.

Replies From View

Hopefully we will see a lot of hubristic posturing, a lot of macho posing, and an equal amount of hilarious failing from these cunts.

imitationleather

Quote from: icehaven on May 28, 2019, 01:38:59 PM
Maybe, although maybe there's also the thinking that any further messes can quite convincingly be blamed on May/the last 3 years of turmoil and anyone even just about managing to finally get it through in some form or other is going to look like a fucking superhero in comparison. the last Labour government.

Danger Man

Both. I despise the lot of them but Leadsom was stitched right up by The Times.

In other news, the Mail did a hatchet job on Hancock minutes after he announced he was running, so that's him fucked.