Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:31:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Heavy/Lite Films

Started by Sin Agog, March 27, 2019, 02:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

What sort of ratio do you have between the exciting, schlocky, fun stuff and the mind-expanding soul food?  Or do you just throw on whatever without thinkng about such things?  I've found myself having to put a few movies on the back-burner recently 'cause they were totally wrong for my temperament. If you've got a yen for the heavy shit, what's supposed to be fun isn't fun at all; it's just annoying and nothingy. But if you've gotta let off steam, watching the grave, portentous fillums feels like being held captive.  Y'all got any thoughts on this?  Shit thread, I guess.

greenman

Would have been well in favour of light to heavy until about 5 years ago or so, these days its probably pretty even, as much about finding "heavy" stuff I enjoy as it is changing taste.

That said net surfing has displaced some of my lighter film viewing to let off steam.

Sin Agog

Quote from: greenman on March 27, 2019, 02:22:17 PM
Would have been well in favour of light to heavy until about 5 years ago or so, these days its probably pretty even, as much about finding "heavy" stuff I enjoy as it is changing taste.

That said net surfing has displaced some of my lighter film viewing to let off steam.

That's interesting.  I wonder if watching a Youtube hot wings interview, or Top 7 Mohawks Found on Getty Images video might actually be making me less receptive to popcorny flicks 'cause they've already scratched a similar itch.

I'd still say I'm about 2:1 light-heavy.

greenman

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 27, 2019, 03:14:36 PM
That's interesting.  I wonder if watching a Youtube hot wings interview, or Top 7 Mohawks Found on Getty Images video might actually be making me less receptive to popcorny flicks 'cause they've already scratched a similar itch.

Purely in terms of watching cinema to "let off steam", that is get away from tension doing something like posting here or browsing wiki on ancient history(although unfortunately it seems this increasingly is the preserve of alt right dickheads) or geography serve a somewhat similar purpose. The result is not quite so much rewatching Big Trouble In Little China or Ghostbusters as was the case in the past.

Again I think "effort" needed it depends quite a lot on the nature of the film, I'v always tended to watch stuff like say Blade Runner or 2OO1 quite a lot so made a conscious effort to seek out more atmospheric cinema and whilst stuff like say Tarkovsky, Mizoguchi or Edward Yang does require some effort I also tend to find it quite relaxing.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 27, 2019, 03:14:36 PM

I'm the same as you, I've watched a fuck load of Heavy films in the past and do love many of them, but I reach for a light hearted bit of daft fun pretty often these days.

sevendaughters

I guess I think about it more as arthouse/multiplex or literary/genre given that there are lots of light films that aren't necessarily Hollywood/mainstream, but I watch probably 75 per cent in favour of the more 'serious' stuff. I'm a film lecturer so I watch what I teach (and try and switch films around every couple of years to keep it relevant/interesting) and the fact is that a university degree requires you watch more outside of the multiplex experience. Generally speaking I do enjoy these works more, same with books too - I tend to read literary fiction and worthy texts above genre fiction. I get my pop culture kicks elsewhere, I'm not against it, but I'd rather watch wrestling or listen to music than see a junk film.

Sin Agog

My ratio might be lower if it wasn't for so many b-movies being so addictively dream-like.