Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:11:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Zack Snyder exhibits brain damage

Started by samadriel, March 27, 2019, 02:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

https://au.ign.com/articles/2019/03/25/zack-snyders-profane-tirade-on-why-his-batman-kills

QuoteSnyder continued by referencing Watchmen and its more mature story, saying "Once you've lost your virginity to this f**king movie and then you come and say to me something about like 'my superhero wouldn't do that.' I'm like 'Are you serious?' I'm like down the f**king road on that. It's a cool point of view to be like 'my heroes are still innocent. My heroes didn't f**king lie to America. My heroes didn't embezzle money from their corporations. My heroes didn't commit any atrocities.' That's cool. But you're living in a f**king dream world."

Ultimately, he compared his treatment of superhero films to what Watchmen writer Alan Moore did with comic books, saying "I love more than anything Superman and Batman, but in the same way that Alan Moore was fed up with the f**king, 'okay, no: [super heroes] do this'... Watchmen talked about comic books in the same way that this movie talks about comic book movies."

Can you imagine the director of the Watchmen movie characterising Alan Moore's mindset pre-Watchmen as... whatever that is?
Rob Liefeld?  Sure, maybe he was desperate to send his expys on totally badass killing sprees; Mark Millar? I can definitely see that; but Alan Moore?  Has Snyder got Watchmen confused with Moore's '90s Violator miniseries?  That's the best explanation I can come up with.

I love that he says having Batman not kill people constitutes "living in a fucking dream world".  What does he think superhero movies are?

edit:  Zack Snyder is 53 years old.

Catalogue Trousers

Zack Snyder is a colossal wanker. This is well-known.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I feel inclined to give him some leeway in the wake of his family tragedy, but he does nonetheless seem like a bit of a fool.

I watched some video essay about symbolism in cinema a little while ago and made the mistake of reading the comments underneath. Predictably, there were lots of twats piping up to call the example film pretentious* and I was tempted to interject that it was demonstrably not pretentious at all, unlike Snyder, who is just Michael Bay with ideas above his station.

*"I know writers who use subtext and they're all cowards!"

colacentral

Has anyone's personality ever meshed with their name as perfectly as Zack Snyder?

Mister Six

What makes Snyder's "I know the real world" shit so infuriating is that most of the biggest creators of the golden age of comics were poor/working-class Jews born around the First World War who  came of age during the Great Depression. The notion that those guys had no idea how bad the world could get, but middle-class fine arts graduate Zachary Snyder does is absurd. If you look at the terrible things in the world and think the only response is to create more terrible things, that only shows your fundamental lack of imagination.

Custard

Batman doesn't use guns. Batman doesn't kill. For obvious fucking reasons. Some comic writers have made him do those things, but it never works as it's not the bloody character

That said, Snyder's mass murdering version was hilarious. I'm gutted there'll never be a two hour film of Batfleck just beating the whole world up. His bits in BvS had me in genuine hysterics

DO YOU BLEEED?
YOU WILL

Sin Agog

Quote from: Mister Six on March 27, 2019, 08:08:42 PM
What makes Snyder's "I know the real world" shit so infuriating is that most of the biggest creators of the golden age of comics were poor/working-class Jews born around the First World War who  came of age during the Great Depression. The notion that those guys had no idea how bad the world could get, but middle-class fine arts graduate Zachary Snyder does is absurd. If you look at the terrible things in the world and think the only response is to create more terrible things, that only shows your fundamental lack of imagination.

I think you're downplaying the strength of some of Zachary Snyder's coke hangovers.  Growing up in a seedy tenement in the Bronx is nothing in comparison.

Avril Lavigne

It should be noted that he's a big fan of Ayn Rand and her Objectivist (AKA 'being a selfish asshole') philosophy and as recently as last year was talking about adapting her novel The Fountainhead into a movie.

magval

Quote from: Mister Six on March 27, 2019, 08:08:42 PM
If you look at the terrible things in the world and think the only response is to create more terrible things, that only shows your fundamental lack of imagination.

Adore this. Thanks for it.

Custard

I love that they cut a full hour off his Justice League, and turned the colour up a bit

Mister Six

Probably more like four hours off, given that it was originally going to be two films.

Quote from: magval on March 27, 2019, 09:05:12 PM

Adore positive reinforcement. Thanks for that!

Blumf

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on March 27, 2019, 09:05:04 PM
It should be noted that he's a big fan of Ayn Rand and her Objectivist (AKA 'being a selfish asshole') philosophy and as recently as last year was talking about adapting her novel The Fountainhead into a movie.

An oiled up Howard Roark slow-motion kicks a striking prole off the top of his tower.

Spiteface

THE SNYDER CUT IS REAL.

It's also over three hours long. Just a few CG tweaks needed apparently, and it would be good to go.

I actually want to see it (thus getting the film I was fucking promised in the early trailers), but I know it'll likely never see the light of day.

mjwilson

I mean the released movie still needed "a few CGI tweaks". Snyder's version would surely need way more than that.

jobotic

Quote from: magval on March 27, 2019, 09:05:12 PM

Yeah I do too. I don't know who Zack Snyder is and i don't know what i'm doing in this thread but I'm glad i popped in for that.

Mister Six

Aw, shucks! Thank you. Please do your best to retain ignorance of Zack Snyder and his works.

Mister Six

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 27, 2019, 08:36:36 PM
Batman doesn't use guns. Batman doesn't kill. For obvious fucking reasons. Some comic writers have made him do those things, but it never works as it's not the bloody character

Batman is terrifying to criminals because he doesn't use guns. There you are, doing your drug deal and suddenly there's a blur and all your highly trained and highly armed men are in a pile on the floor.... And then he comes for you. He's a quasi-mythological being of vengeance, and gangsters who spend their time in gunfights with the police and each other find themselves utterly at a loss when he turns up to claim them.

If he's got a gun then he's just the Punisher in Pyjamas. IE: a twat.

Spiteface

Quote from: Mister Six on March 30, 2019, 03:31:19 PM
Batman is terrifying to criminals because he doesn't use guns. There you are, doing your drug deal and suddenly there's a blur and all your highly trained and highly armed men are in a pile on the floor.... And then he comes for you. He's a quasi-mythological being of vengeance, and gangsters who spend their time in gunfights with the police and each other find themselves utterly at a loss when he turns up to claim them.

If he's got a gun then he's just the Punisher in Pyjamas. IE: a twat.
There's a new "Dark" Batman in one of the comics that is a Batman who uses guns. He's part of the same "Dark Multiverse" as Scott Snyder's "Metal" stuff.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: mjwilson on March 30, 2019, 01:34:18 PMI mean the released movie still needed "a few CGI tweaks". Snyder's version would surely need way more than that.
He just means there are a few frames that need lens flares adding.