Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:28:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How good are you at sleeping on public transport?

Started by Sin Agog, March 27, 2019, 03:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ham Bap

Can't do it. I've had multiple connecting plane journeys where I've been literally exhausted and the chance of me falling asleep is 0%.

Zero Gravitas

I'm great at it, as soon as the engines start to spin up for takeoff I'm out, rousing for a pre-landing bloody mary.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 27, 2019, 04:02:35 PM
I can sleep on a coach, but when I wake up I feel as if I've been beaten up while running a marathon. Weird dreams, too - usually the dream where I'm on a coach and it's split seconds away from being in a massive crash.

And that's how you were fired from your etc etc.

Bazooka

In order of easiness: Trains, Taxi, Coach(never a bus), Jet ski, Plane.

Jockice

Never actually done it. The one time I wanted to was when I'd been to Czechoslovakia with friends in the early 90s by coach. Quite a long journey as you can imagine but it was quite good fun on the way there. However on the way back we had to sit in the very front seats just in front of the stairs to get into the vehicle. And with no seatbelts. I had to cling on for sheer life for the entire journey.

The reason I wanted some sleep was because I was going straight to a cousin's wedding in Southampton afterwards. I had to get another coach from London (by which time I was too hyped up to have even a short nap and when I arrived had half an hour to get into the hotel my parents had booked, have a shower, get my suit on and catch a taxi to the nuptials. I made it but to this day I can't remember a thing about the ceremony or the party.

imitationleather

Whenever one of the condoms full of gear in my stomach bursts I'm always out like a light.

Dr Sanchez

I would love to sleep on public transport but I have this thing where if I nod off and something wakes me up within the first 30 minutes I can't get back to sleep again until 12 or so hours later. It's horrible.

I had a bastard of a journey coming back from Mexico to London via The US. Took about 24 hours with driving and waiting for connections.

I managed to fall asleep as soon as I got on the plane and was having a great dream when this absolute animal in front reclined his seat back very aggressively which woke me up.

I ended up spending the next 9 hours watching people sleeping while I was bleary eyed eating crap American chocolate and hoping the plane would crash.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Bazooka on April 03, 2019, 01:58:23 AM
In order of easiness: Trains, Taxi, Coach(never a bus), Jet ski, Plane.

I'm sure I once had a quick nap while I was riding pillion on a mate's motorbike. Back in the days of smoking dope and staying up. I was really tired for most of the 90s.

moondogs

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on March 28, 2019, 09:21:58 AM
This describes me also. I travelled 36 hours to Australia without sleeping. I watched 8 episodes of Deadliest Catch back to back on the flight over.

Deadliest catch is my go-to plane entertainment, and I don't feel quite right if they haven't got a load of episodes for me to binge. It's especially odd because I'm flying to and from a ship for work, so it's a true busman's holiday. A trawlerman's weekend getaway?

I fly a lot and I never used to be able to sleep but now it's no bother. Usually they're long flights so I'll stay up the night before to get into the (time) zone and be able to sleep. Lately I've scored some very mild Xanax pills off a mate and they really help. Couple of them and a gin and I'm ready to float there myself.

mothman

I'm getting better at it. Time was I'd spend whole transatlantic flights awake. Even flying back to the UK from NZ, I barely slept at all and that was 24 hours. But in my last flight from the States, I slept for hours (business class bulkhead seat with lots of legroom probably helped). As for trains and tubes, I'd've had to have been really drunk to manage it (missing my stop on more than one memorable occasion) but now I can even nap on one of those awful GWR train seats just between London and Bristol.

Only getting about 4-5 hours sleep a night has a lot to do with it, I suspect. Dead soon...

Sebastian Cobb

I've never missed a stop but I've crashed out face down on a table with a tinnie in my hand.

imitationleather

The night before I started at Goldsmiths I fell asleep on the last tube and missed my stop in zone 2, finally waking up at Upminster in zone 6. That was long. Really, really long.

Sebastian Cobb

My mate fell asleep on a train to Montrose and woke up in Carnoustie, he had the sense to stay on to Dundee so he could get a taxi back. The driver wanted 50 quid and was trying to drop him off in the centre rather than his house, fucking joker.