Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:29:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ellis James and John Robins to leave Radio Show

Started by Tony Tony Tony, March 27, 2019, 10:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

rasta-spouse

Why are they leaving? It seems like Robins has achieved a new level of fame recently.

Tony Tony Tony

The stated reason is for 'new challenges' which most likely means another radio station. Absolute?

At its best it's a brilliant show but they've been coasting for a while now. A break/fresh start somewhere else (which I think is inevitable) is long overdue. They've fallen into the Adam and Joe trap of relying far too much on listeners' contributions.

SteveDave

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on March 28, 2019, 08:40:14 AM
The stated reason is for 'new challenges' which most likely means another radio station. Absolute?

Do you think? Absolute is a bit of a downward move isn't it? Maybe they're going to follow in Adam & Joe's footsteps and jump to 6 Music? That'll let them play Can, Gorky's and all that fuck awful music Robins loves.

Tony Tony Tony

That's interesting, 1 to 3 on Friday isn't a current slot.... so maybe Ellie Oldroyd gets dropped and they cut an hour from Kermode and Mayo?

Either way that's gonna cause ructions. Plus whilst 5 Live is football heavy to suit Ellis they don't play music (not to any great extent anyway) so Queen plays are likely to take a nosedive... now that's really gonna cause ructions.

Still lots to look forward to according to the blurb...
Quotea mix of comedy, fun features, guests and callers

Utter Shit

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on April 02, 2019, 10:38:07 AM
New show on 5 Live produced by Dave Masterman, which is excellent news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/5live/entries/96b9adb7-e8b8-4b92-ba93-92d69c30bd70

I didn't dare believe that them leaving Absolute could be as good as this. With the best will in the world the show has never quite been the same since Dave left, and 5 Live is of course the best thing in the world. Happy for them, and happy for me.

rasta-spouse

So they've been broadcasting on the BBC since the 31st. Is the new podcast up anywhere? Can't seem to find a link or rss feed.

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 06, 2019, 02:18:38 PM
So they've been broadcasting on the BBC since the 31st. Is the new podcast up anywhere? Can't seem to find a link or rss feed.

They start on 31st May, not March.

rasta-spouse

So keen was I to have my weekly pod fix I mis-read the month.

SteveDave

I greatly enjoyed the shell-shocked-ness of the podcast intro. I don't think they were ready for the ire of the average 5 Live listener.

weird show, seems likely they're going to need a few weeks to work out how to structure the show without the anchor of having to play a certain amount of songs and ads breaking things up. Bit disappointed with how many features made it over from Radio X, was hoping they'd be forced to reset things a bit to freshen the show up

Utter Shit

I really enjoyed it! It felt like a return to the old days of the Radio X podcast under Dave, and way better than the comforting but slightly repetitive feel of the later days on Raido X. The joy they took from knowing they'd annoyed so many listeners had me in hysterics. A little disappointed at the reuse of old features, but at least they've finally binned Potato Potato.

Tony Tony Tony

Enjoyed it immensely, was very much like old friends coming round. A nice mix of old favorites for familiarity and new features for freshness. Agree that they might take a few weeks to get fully into their stride but even when not yet at full throttle they offer something way better that the likes of Heart or even Absolute (Frank Skinner excepted).

The reaction from regular 5Live listeners was hilarious and they dealt with the Twitter Shitstorm nicely by reveling in it. Some of the negative comments brought to mind the days of Matthew Bannister's clear out of the old staid jocks at Radio 1 leading eventually to the on air resignation of the Hairy Cornflake. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3R1Mcr7I0M if not familiar with those heady days.       

Scarymole

I really odd time to put them on. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up filling the now vacant 9-11am Saturday slot

Loved the last 2 episodes, they've really settled on Five Live now