Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:05:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB "film club"?

Started by greenman, March 28, 2019, 12:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Mentioned it in the "non new films" thread to not much response but would anyone be interested in something like this? that is watching and discussing a single film over a certain period. The non new films thread seems to be at its best when this happens so perhaps it would encourage more such discussion? a bit more motivation to watch recommendations here as well which I'v generally found very good.

Not really sure what form it would take, maybe a list of members taking turns to pick a film or choice of films for others to pick? viewing/discussion over a week/fortnight/month?

Any interest?

rasta-spouse

Yes, I'd be interested in watching a curated list of films. I'm having difficulty picking things at the moment due to the 'tyranny' of choice.

zomgmouse

Ooh yeah this would be a great idea - weekly is probably a bit too frequent for me but maybe fortnightly or monthly would be nice :) I'd be keen to help select stuff as well!

greenman

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 28, 2019, 05:07:30 AM
Ooh yeah this would be a great idea - weekly is probably a bit too frequent for me but maybe fortnightly or monthly would be nice :) I'd be keen to help select stuff as well!

A fortnight is what I was thinking personally giving people decent time to watch films without things becoming too drawn out although if there were individual threads for each discussion they could be bumped up latter if people get around to watching something?

Coming up with a rota of names choosing films would be the main thing I spose, I don't mind keeping that list and telling people their turn if nobody else is up for it.

Sin Agog

Would it be something available online somewhere or another?  (I know everything's available online somewhere, but I'm not able to torrent at the moment).

greenman

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 28, 2019, 08:02:58 AM
Would it be something available online somewhere or another?  (I know everything's available online somewhere, but I'm not able to torrent at the moment).

Limiting it to films that are relatively accessible perhaps? equally not bothering with recent big releases that get plenty of discussion anyway.

Sin Agog

Yeah, I'd be down for that.  I remember years ago when they did this on another forum, putting up all the noms in a thread with a poll worked well (for the person voting in a gestalt with all their sock puppets).

Small Man Big Horse

I'm definitely up for this too.

Avril Lavigne

I'd like to be involved with this, though I do already have a 250+ movie watchlist but maybe a CaB film club would actually help me to get through some of that.

greenman

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 28, 2019, 08:35:38 AM
Yeah, I'd be down for that.  I remember years ago when they did this on another forum, putting up all the noms in a thread with a poll worked well (for the person voting in a gestalt with all their sock puppets).

You could cut down on that by only having open voting by members in the thread but also perhaps have a rota were one person gets a turn to pick all the noms(maybe on a certain theme) and then everyone else choses between them? that seems like a good mix offering some choice but also allowing everyone to get their picks discussed.

So perhaps something like...

A list of members.

One central thread were each member gets a turn to choose say 3-5ish nominations, preferably avoiding recent big releases and very hard to find releases.

The other members vote for their choice in that thread, cutting out any sock voting.

Each discussion gets its own thread so its easier to return to latter if people don't get the chance to watch it in the original fortnight.

A new discussion starts every 2 weeks with the noms and voting happening during the previous picks 2 weeks.

That seems like it wouldn't be too disruptive/dominating of the sub forum as a whole, you'd have quite a lot of threads as 25/26 a year but they'd be not much different from those that could be created anyway to discuss an individual film.

Sebastian Cobb

I'd be up for this.

I still really should get the ball rolling on this:
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=68053.0
I am useless though

madhair60

greenman

The clubs name, The Order of No madhair60(not an 's).

madhair60

Quote from: greenman on March 28, 2019, 12:18:03 PM
The clubs name, The Order of No madhair60(not an 's).

Awwww.

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on March 28, 2019, 10:12:31 AM
I'd like to be involved with this, though I do already have a 250+ movie watchlist but maybe a CaB film club would actually help me to get through some of that.
Throw some of these into the (spam) thread, its how i've been getting through my list of to watch films. Sticking it on the (spam) scdeule. So far we have covered 65 movies. Some brillant ones and some brilliantly bad ones.

phantom_power

I nominate The Never-ending Story II: The Next Chapter

greenman

So at the moment the following interested?

rasta-spouse
zongmouse
Sin Agog
Greenman
Small Man Big Horse
Avril Lavigne
Sebastian Cobb
Puce Moment

Anyone else?

If we follow the system I suggested I could use a random number generator to pick a starting point for someone to come up with their nominations and then anyone new joining would end up at the back of the que.

So that would mean whoever was first coming up with a small number of nominations, maybe doing a little writup on them or any theme they share in the central thread then everyone else on the list getting a vote on which film they want.

chveik

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on March 28, 2019, 02:15:56 PM
Throw some of these into the (spam) thread, its how i've been getting through my list of to watch films. Sticking it on the (spam) scdeule. So far we have covered 65 movies. Some brillant ones and some brilliantly bad ones.

Done and done! I've posted two suggestions to potentially cover both of those descriptions.

greenman

Updated members rota

rasta-spouse
zongmouse
Sin Agog
greenman
Small Man Big Horse
Avril Lavigne
Sebastian Cobb
Puce Moment
phantom_power
chveik

Any feeling on the potential rules I outlined? one person doing all the noms each time seems a good middle ground to me of giving a choice whilst making sure everyone gets a pick chosen.

Generally choices being stuff that's not a relatively recent big release or very well known film generally that's already got plenty of discussion, not something so obscure nobody can find it online or reasonably affordably on DVD/BR and no "mucking about" making joke choices, madhair can run the HSart version for that to doubtless far greater success.

Dex Sawash

I'm in despite my film criticism consisting of
watched this
liked this
didn't like this

zomgmouse

Not sure I fully get what you're proposing but it seems like a good system!

Avril Lavigne

I was gonna say maybe we all just pick one film each by a certain cutoff date, at which point the full list gets jumbled into a random order and then we work our way through it one-film-per-fortnight, but I like Greenman's voting idea too so doing it that way works for me.

greenman

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on March 29, 2019, 12:26:24 PM
I was gonna say maybe we all just pick one film each by a certain cutoff date, at which point the full list gets jumbled into a random order and then we work our way through it one-film-per-fortnight, but I like Greenman's voting idea too so doing it that way works for me.

One negative to that to me seems like it would be making choices along time in advance, with a dozen members it could be almost 6 months till we get around to everything and I'm guessing people might well preffer to pick stuff they've discovered more recently.

We could just have everyone making one choice on their turn but picking a few films with a linked theme for everyone else to vote on seems like it could work fairly well looking at other forum groups on the net, not just giving people a choice but maybe getting some discussion in the voting thread as well on whatever theme it is and why they voted the way they did? I spose we could do both, if someone really wanted to just pick one film on their turn they could?

So you have one central thread that has the nominations/voting and any discussion from that in it then each films discussion gets a separate thread. If the discussions are kept separate then if someone doesn't get the chance to watch something during the 2 weeks they can just bump the old thread rather than interrupt current discussion fishing back though a big thread for quotes on older ones.

SO basically we work down the list of members each person getting a turn, on your turn you pick say 3 films as your nominations in the central thread, other members vote for their choice in that thread then a separate thread is created for the actual discussion of the winner. The next round of nominations and voting happens in the main thread during the 2 weeks of discussion of the previous film.

For nomination for example I could go with something like "The decline of New Hollywood" and pick stuff like Sorcerer, Heavens Gate and Rumblefish potentially leavin room for discussion on the topic in the nomination thread.

Avril Lavigne

That all sounds good! My idea may be simpler but I suppose it wouldn't promote as much interactivity and you're right in saying it could be months before someone's choice finally came up.

chveik

can we limit the number of nominations for American films?

greenman

Quote from: chveik on March 29, 2019, 02:45:13 PM

I'd hope for a good deal of non American films but I'm not sure how you'd limit them, avoiding films that naturally get discussed anyway, recent blockbusters or your Jaws, Godfathers, Starwars, Goodfellas etc seems pretty natural.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: chveik on March 29, 2019, 02:45:13 PM

If that's happening I reckon indie/low-budget/blaxploitation/etc shouldn't count towards the limit.