Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:54:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Amazon Prime Recs

Started by Sin Agog, March 28, 2019, 08:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Accidentally got a 30-day trial while ordering a nose hair trimmer, so might as well make use of it for a few weeks.

Been watching that Billy Bob Thornton lawyer thing so far, which is pretty fun.  I know Patriot's great, so will finish off what I haven't seen.  The rest I'm not sure on.  Feel free to add in movies as well.

phantom_power

Mr Robot is excellent. Preacher is also good. I really enjoyed Red Oaks, which is a half hour comedy thing. Lodge 49 is also excellent and odd and warm-hearted. Forever is another good half hour comedy

paruses

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 28, 2019, 08:28:09 AM

Been watching that Billy Bob Thornton lawyer thing so far, which is pretty fun. 

First one of those is good but if you have limited time I wouldn't bother with the second. It moves away from what it was to more a straight thriller type affair (if that's the right genre)

Catch up on The Americans? I drift back to that when a new series has been put up and thoroughly enjoy its silliness. Trouble is I can never remember what the last series I watched was.

Bosch is good. Haven't watched the latest yet.

Malcy

Man In The High Castle is good. Haven't seen any of the other Prime Originals apart from that. It's worth having a right good root around and look at stuff like people also watched and the like. I've found a few things that way.

Sin Agog

Everything mentioned looks top-notch, ta!  And I'll bear that in mind about the second series of Goliath.  William Hurt's cackling Bond villain performance in this is too good.  Imagine how much you'd want to murder your boss if he answered every question with one of those bloody clicking things.

Have been digging around the movies as well and there's some surprisingly good stuff available.  Feels a lot less Sky Moviemax 2 in that department than...that other streaming platform.

phantom_power

There is a lot of good old, foreign and independent stuff on Prime which is sorely missing from Netflix. Most Jarmusch films are on there, as well as the Three Colours Trilogy and some cracking old Vincent Price films

Bently Sheds

American Gods is a bit patchy but it looks bloody gorgeous.
It's been reported that the second series sees a marked drop in quality, but I've not got round to watching it yet..

paruses

Forgot to mention Homecoming - the Julia Roberts thing. Watched couple eps a while back and enjoyed. It's very slow but drew me in. Only reason for not continuing was ran out of space on my phone for downloads.

phantom_power

Yeah Homecoming is good. Created by the same bloke as did Mr Robot, though it started as a podcast

Twed

Being Frank: The Chris Sievey Story is available on Prime, surprisingly.

Sin Agog

Not in the UK it seems, just the U.S.  Must be on account of 98% of Sidebottom fans hailing from Wisconsin.  (Or because it's still screening in the U.K. somewhere).

Twed

Ah shit, sorry to disappoint. I think the movie has such a limited audience here that they just thought "fuck it, put it on there for free streaming".

Small Man Big Horse

The Magicians is on Amazon and it's one of my favourite shows. The only problem is that the first five or sex episodes are pretty shoddy, I almost quit and would have done so if it wasn't for a friend insisting that I should stick with it. But from about episode seven it becomes an enormous amount of fun, the characters improve no end and it's incredibly inventive and enjoyable viewing. I've started threads about it in the past but could never persuade anyone to watch it, so I'd suggest seeing the pilot, then reading the recaps for episodes 2 - 6 and then watching the seventh as it really is so so good, a rare example of an actually fantastic show on Syfy.

Quote from: phantom_power on March 28, 2019, 10:01:59 AM
Mr Robot is excellent. Preacher is also good. I really enjoyed Red Oaks, which is a half hour comedy thing. Lodge 49 is also excellent and odd and warm-hearted. Forever is another good half hour comedy

I've not seen Mr Robot or Lodge 49 (though I have the latter downloaded and plan to because I've heard it's great) but the others I'd echo the recommendations of. Preacher is a bit messy and only really comes good with the third season but if you've not read the comics then you may well like it more than I did, Red Oaks is also great (and some episodes are directed by Hal Hartley, who I love to pieces), and I also enjoyed Forever a lot too.

Sin Agog

Ta again.  I've read the comics to most of these shows. Mike Carey's Lucifer developed into close to my favourite comic of all time.  Just a thing of gargantuan scope.  I'm not sure I can handle it being scaled all the way down into a police procedural.  Don't blame them or anything- only a mad billionaire could make a faithful version.  I'll try out some of the other series though, especially The Magicians.

EDIT:  Did Preacher keep the fish scene?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 28, 2019, 10:40:36 PM
Ta again.  I've read the comics to most of these shows. Mike Carey's Lucifer developed into close to my favourite comic of all time.  Just a thing of gargantuan scope.  I'm not sure I can handle it being scaled all the way down into a police procedural.  Don't blame them or anything- only a mad billionaire could make a faithful version.  I'll try out some of the other series though, especially The Magicians.

I really liked Carey's Lucifer run too but only made it two episodes in to the tv series before quitting, it's okay as procedurals go but nothing like the comic in the slightest, I know what you mean about how unlikely it would be for an accurate version being made but it's a shame it has so little in common with the comics. And I hope you like The Magicians, if you do I might even start another thread for it!

phantom_power

Lucifer (the TV show) is just another "detective with special powers that help solve crimes" show like The Mentalist, Monk, Psych, Burn Notice etc.

Sin Agog

'ere, The Magicians isn't on there!  Just a program of the same name about challenging a slebrity to learn a card trick or something.

Small Man Big Horse

Is this not it? Or do you still have to buy single episodes despite having Prime? https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Magicians-Season-1/dp/B01F8NJ6QM

paruses

Minor hijack of this thread to ask about a programme I can't recall -

Was on Prime about a church group / cult like Scientology (the various characters were Level n and privy to different bits of info). Premise as far as I remember was that one of the more senior members who had been in it from birth started to question everything.

Cannot for the life of me remember the name and I can't find it. I quite enjoyed it.

Anybody, anybody?

Small Man Big Horse

Not the Aaron Paul thing called The Path, was it? I only watched one episode so could be completely wrong though.

Sebastian Cobb

Sneaky Pete (Giovanni Ribisi plays a lovable grifter).
The Expanse.

paruses

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 29, 2019, 04:36:11 PM
Not the Aaron Paul thing called The Path, was it? I only watched one episode so could be completely wrong though.

Yes! Thank you. I seemed to get into it and then forgot about it. Will see if I was right a second time round.

Dr Syntax Head

If you like historical comedy Vikings is a bit of a laugh. I didn't choose to watch it but watched it last week on a major hangover with flatmate. Still far more enjoyable than the episodes of game of thrones I've seen though. At least there's no dragons in it. Just more shouting.

Sneaky Pete was alright.

I'm jaded after Twin Peaks and Gomorrah now so my opinion on TV means nothing anymore.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: phantom_power on March 28, 2019, 12:11:38 PM
There is a lot of good old, foreign and independent stuff on Prime which is sorely missing from Netflix. Most Jarmusch films are on there, as well as the Three Colours Trilogy and some cracking old Vincent Price films

Sadly the Jarmuschs were taken off recently except for Paterson. It's got a lot of Truffaut films though. Seen a lot of stuff with the film4 banner added recently too, like The Acid House, dunno how good it all is
Just remembered there's a Prime original series directed by Sion Sono, I'd like to watch that

Dex Sawash

Patriot first season is well liked, I thought s2 was good too but that isn't universal.

First 3-4 seasons if Vikings are good.

Dex Sawash

Avoid Hanna with the wooden Joe Kinnaman. Ludicrous load of shite.

paruses

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 02, 2019, 11:40:06 AM
Avoid Hanna with the wooden Joe Kinnaman. Ludicrous load of shite.

Thanks - had a big promotional through just last night about that. Will direct efforts elsewhere.

Dex Sawash

I did watch all of Hanna as I have trouble running away from things that are shot fairly well but are not good.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Twed on March 28, 2019, 09:06:53 PM
Being Frank: The Chris Sievey Story is available on Prime, surprisingly.

WTF!!? I haven't even got my copy of the dvd yet ! Grrrrr.

Spiteface

Kamen Rider Amazons aka Amazon Riders   

Ultraviolent and darker take on long-running Bandai toy-shilling machine, Kamen Rider. To date, one of only two Kamen Rider TV shows to see a western release (The other being 1973's Kamen Rider V3, not counting adaptations like Masked Rider and Kamen Rider Dragon Knight).

Japanese superheroes > American superheroes.