Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit In Parliament Discussion Thread

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 28, 2019, 08:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

CRYING GAME PENIS MOMENT TAKES 27 BY STORM

MAY MUST CHOOSE BETWEEN LOSING HER JOB OR LOSING HER KNOB

BlodwynPig

Theresa May attacked by mob and tied to a stake - "The lady is not for burning" she tells the frustrated hordes.

Theresa May poisoned at EU summit with batch of spiked ecstasy tablets - "The lady is not for gurning" she resolutely informs her counterparts.

Theresa May travels to Brie making factory to face the wrath of European cheese makers - "The lady is not for churning" she sarcastically yelps at cowed factory workers.

Theresa May is told in no uncertain terms to rewrite a clearer WA - "The lady is not for kerning" she tells the expectant press on her return to the UK.

jobotic

Theresa May presents her deal to parliament for the fiftieth time. "The lady is not for learning" she screams at the mace.

And John Prescott was fat. Look at Boris' ledge hair.

Replies From View

Can't be bothered with the set up but she isn't for yearning either.

greencalx

Looks like a hefty extension coming. Question, though, is what the EU can do (if anything) to put pressure on May to actually do something other then keep trying to put her deal through Parliament before it expires. I guess they don't want to get involved in domestic politics (e.g., force a referendum or a GE), but at the same time they will want the whole process to conclude. Somehow.

Paul Calf

The EU tell her that she must accept a 12-month extension.

"The lady is not for adjourning," she replies.

pigamus

The EU tell her that she must adjust the spacing between the characters in the deal's proportional font, in order to achieve a more visually pleasing result.

"No," she replies.

biggytitbo

Looks like absurd hollow man Macron is providing bit of theatre in there.

Mr_Simnock

I hope when they eventually come out of that meeting it's obvious there has been a petty slapping fight between Merkel and Macron

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pigamus on April 10, 2019, 10:18:01 PM
The EU tell her that she must adjust the spacing between the characters in the deal's proportional font, in order to achieve a more visually pleasing result.

"No," she replies.

I already did that one

jobotic

Looks like Biggy's boys tactics are working, the unutterable cunts

QuoteSophie in 't Veld, a Dutch MEP and deputy to the European parliament's lead Brexit spokesman, Guy Verhofstadt, told BBC's Newsnight that MEPs were worried about the UK being a disruptive influence if it gets a long article 50 extension. She said:

It cannot be that we will be held hostage by the UK for who knows, months, maybe a few years even.

We need to be absolutely sure that the UK is not going to disrupt the work of the European Union. And there is a big question mark of course. Some government leaders have said that we can just have a code of conduct and ask the UK to not disrupt the European Union.

And then the question is, how reliable would a pledge be from the United Kingdom that they are not going to do that? Because legally speaking, as long as the UK is a member you have full voting rights and there is absolutely no guarantee.

Tweets by people like Jacob Rees-Mogg for example [see 10.35pm], that if we stay in the European Union that we disrupt things, it doesn't create an atmosphere of trust here.

How fucking shameful. Rees-Mogg. Banks. Farage. Francois. They are us - Britain.

Cloud

MAY GONE

to bed, as the summit is going to be going on until the early hours.

Why do we need 2 Brexit threads?  It's hard to know which to post in.  "Brexit in parliament" seems oddly specific

jamiefairlie

Quote from: jobotic on April 10, 2019, 10:52:58 PM

How fucking shameful. Rees-Mogg. Banks. Farage. Francois. They are us - Britain.

Hmmmm, think you could afford to be slightly more specific in your geography there.

idunnosomename

YOU CANT TALK ABOUT MAY IN BRUSSELS IN THIS THREAD!!! THAT'S NOT PARLIAMENT! IT'S THE GOVERNMENT!!!

idunnosomename

steve barclay though eh? phwoar. what a hunk.

jobotic

Quote from: jamiefairlie on April 10, 2019, 11:01:19 PM
Hmmmm, think you could afford to be slightly more specific in your geography there.

Yeah fair enough - you think the rest of the world is though, when they look at this?

Uncle TechTip

They just call it England anyway.

(First attempt at England on swipe key gave 'remains' - I felt this was amusing enough to comment on)

Paul Calf

Quote from: jamiefairlie on April 10, 2019, 11:01:19 PM

No. To people in Europe, those people represent the UK.

ajsmith2

May will never go.

In a few years she will officially be crowned Prime Minister Inertia Eternal.

Quote from: jobotic on April 10, 2019, 10:52:58 PM

They are England.

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 11, 2019, 07:26:26 AM
No. To people in Europe, those people represent the UK.

I am in Europe and people here understand the distinction between Scottish politics and English politics very well.

Paul Calf

But you don't seem to understand that they don't represent England either.

OK.

greencalx

October, then. Wasn't expecting that. I wonder if May's immunity to a challenge before December was taken into account: a deadline extension beyond that increases the chance of Boris stepping in an announcing an immediate no-deal exit.

But what does anyone expect May to do other than just tough it out for another six months, repeatedly putting her withdrawal agreement to parliament?

What strategy should the main parties take in the upcoming Eurolections? They could say "fuck this, we're not wasting precious campaign funds on standing candidates for posts that aren't going to exist in six months' time", leaving the path for single-issue pro- and anti-Brexit parties to slug it out. At the same time it's never a good look for a party not to fight any kind of election. Also, the most likely anti-Brexit party would be the TINGE, and there's no way I'm voting for them. Also, if the TINGE were to perform well as a result of other parties' non-participation, this would make them look a more credible force more generally, which needs to be avoided at all costs. So an expensive and pointless election it is then.

2nd ref campaigners have been making noises about six months being long enough to squeeze on in. But how? Parliament would have to agree; and the chances of that are only if the cross-party talks get anywhere, and contain a 2nd ref as part of the package. Neither of these look likely, at least not on the short timescale to get the process started.

In principle Tory Brexiters could throw their toys right out of the pram and force May out somehow. But they don't have the numbers to do that through any internal process; so the only option would be to vote against the government in a confidence motion.

Current prediction? Fucknose. But cross-party talks breaking down followed by a VoNC tabled by Corbyn which is then defeated, because TINGE et al won't support it, and it all going round again like herpes seems worth a flutter just now.

NoSleep

Yes, we need to vote for Labour in Europe. I think this may be the best turnout for a European election; another possibly futile gesture by the people, directed at Parliament.

Paul Calf

I predict that the turnout for this year's Europarl elections are going to break all previous records.

Paul Calf

Could we sponsor a CaBer to stand? Anyone can stand as an independent candidate. Perhaps we should all stand?

Paul Calf

Ah:

QuoteTo become nominated as a candidate at the European
Parliamentary election on 23 May 2019 you need to pay a
deposit of £5,000

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/163525/EPE-Part-2-Standing-as-an-independent-candidate.pdf

Still, we could all chip in for...pancs?

Buelligan

Quote from: NoSleep on April 11, 2019, 08:30:39 AM
Yes, we need to vote for Labour in Europe. I think this may be the best turnout for a European election; another possibly futile gesture by the people, directed at Parliament.

Absolutely this.  Every fucker with a vote needs to do it. 

For too long, I think encouraged by the media and possibly the fact that Brits viewed the whole thing as a bit of a joke, European elections have not been taken seriously in Britain.  People who complain about the EU not being democratic enough need to check their own voting records.  I mean, FFS, you left a credibility door open to Farage - someone who, despite many attempts has never got a seat in Westminster - not only has he been able to line his own mucky pockets with our hard earned, he's brought the UK into disrepute internationally and served you abysmally. 

Start taking this seriously, even if you want to Leave, at least you'll give Corbyn a bigger stick to walk quietly with.

Alberon