Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:28:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit In Parliament Discussion Thread

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 28, 2019, 08:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Quote from: Cursus on March 29, 2019, 10:19:08 PM

The Daily Mail frothing with anger at 'hard Brexiteers'.

The world really has gone mad.

BlodwynPig

"Monty Don's Grow Your Own Veg"

"Because the Supermarkets won't have any after Brexit"

Cuellar

Literally no one knows what they want anymore do they

I don't

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on March 29, 2019, 10:38:19 PM
Literally no one knows what they want anymore do they

I don't

A nice cup of English tea and scone with strawberry jam and cream on a warm summer's evening as the dusk descends, served by a lovely white English girl. Miss Marple and crumpets by the fire a bit later. A wood dove cooing in the gloaming

Jittlebags

Gloaming. That's nice and evocative. I love a good gloam, me.

Jittlebags

Why isn't the Daily Bollocks not fingering the DUP by the fuzz anyway? I must admit, I loved it when Rees (the Union is the most important thing) Mogg voted against the DUP.

Jittlebags

Right, Fuck Brexit. I'm off to eat a spicy pasty and watch Masterchef.

Twit 2

Ugh, that DM headline. Using words like 'conspire' is such amoral cuntery. How many people in recent history have been executed in cold blood in dictatorships and regimes that use precisely that kind language? The journalists who write this shit presumably know enough about 20th century fascism to make them absolutely shameless scumbags. Openly using the propaganda techniques of murderers. The brass balls of it.

BlodwynPig

Less brass balls, more semolina cock.

The semolina cock on that journalist...saw him rubbing scampi fries into his anus at lunchtime in the gents at The Old Fleet Street Pub. The fucking rotten scum fucking cunt of a sub-human.

greencalx

All aboard! All aboard!! Woo-oh!

Oh. For simpler times.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 29, 2019, 11:09:58 PM
Ugh, that DM headline. Using words like 'conspire' is such amoral cuntery. How many people in recent history have been executed in cold blood in dictatorships and regimes that use precisely that kind language? The journalists who write this shit presumably know enough about 20th century fascism to make them absolutely shameless scumbags. Openly using the propaganda techniques of murderers. The brass balls of it.

True but don't forget the current Daily Mail editorial position is basically the stance of the "sensible" wing of the Tories. They have been demanding no no deal Brexit ever since Dacre left. It's The Express that is the UKIP/ERG one . The Daily Mail is now the GOOD side of the Tories.

idunnosomename

Never ceases to amaze me how Tom Newton Dunn is always on the BBC sounding like a throaty middle-clarse moderate balanced sensible man, then he goes back to work and publishes this rabble-rousing nonsense that isn't that far from being populist fascist propaganda

If I was a BBC journalist I'd say "dont you think your front pages simplify the issues and just increase division and anger" but then if I was a BBC journalist my father would have known his father and have been round to his dinner parties and think well, he's a good egg really

Shoulders?-Stomach!

"Endure another vote"

The Sun not showing much faith in a deal being signed off then? I fort vat ver Sahn wuz wot won it

The real headline is that you can get a fortnight in Mablethorpe for £15

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on March 30, 2019, 09:36:17 AM
The real headline is that you can get a fortnight in Mablethorpe for £15

The real joke is that if you agree to work 37.5 hours a week at one of their vaunted "businesses", they'll actually pay you to be in Mablethorpe.

biggytitbo

The reporting on this is such dog turd:

QuoteGovernment sources suggested she was first likely to make another attempt to force her deal through parliament in a third "meaningful vote". This might happen in a "run-off" against any successful alternative from Monday's indicative votes.

I find it very hard to believe the press and MPs don't know these indicative votes aren't an alternative to May's Withdrawal act. The EU have made it quite clear that the WA is now non-negotiable so it doesn't matter who it is, or whatever alternative idea MPs come up with, the WA has to be passed first.

If MPs do agree on an alternative plan, that would only be added to or replace the political declaration (which is already a super soft brexit and hardly different to labours stated position), which is and would remain non binding.

Essentially these indicative votes and May's deal are the same thing, no future government is bound by it and that future government would be the ones negotiating with the EU, not MPs. So the only valid thing is a general election where the parties stand on their idea for the future relationship and thus have the mandate to do the negotiations their way.

Voting against the WA was an attempt to stop brexit altogether, not an attempt to attain a 'different brexit', as in practise there is no substantive difference between any of the alternative plans and May's plan.

NoSleep

This email arrived today from my MP:

QuoteDear all,

Thank you as always for taking the time to write to me to share your thoughts on Brexit.

As you might expect, I am receiving a large volume of correspondence from a variety of perspectives and am sorry that I cannot respond to you all individually. I would, however, like to take this opportunity to set out my position following today's events.

It was a real shame that Parliament was required to vote on the Prime Minister's deal - which has united leavers and remainers against it - for a third time

Nothing had changed today. This was the same deal I resigned as Minister of State for Universities and Science to vote against in November last year.

As I argued on my resignation, having studied the agreement I could not in good conscience recommend this deal to my constituents because it represents the worst of all worlds for Britain. This is an agreement that no sovereign nation should sign up to.

Essentially, the legally binding Withdrawal Agreement commits the United Kingdom to pay £39bn, destabilise the Union, lose the benefits of membership and still be rule-taker from the EU. Our manifesto committed us to agree the terms of our future partnership alongside our withdrawal and reaching an agreement on both – the vote today did not fulfil this.

I am also conscious that this deal is the least popular in the country of the Brexit options.

Listening to the debate today, there were no new arguments as to why a deal that had been defeated heavily two weeks ago should now be brought back.

The next steps involve Parliament returning to Indicative Votes next week to find out where a majority for an alternative solution could lie. As the Conservatives have no majority, any sustainable solution would need support across the House of Commons.

Thank you again for taking the time to write. I will continue to provide updates as and when I can.

Yours sincerely,

Sam Gyimah MP

biggytitbo

I see Dominic Grieve is the latest remain hero, centre and left alike, despite having a horrible voting record. The above mentioned Sam Gyimah amongst the endless list of MPs from all parties who just happened to go to the same school as Grieve saying how great he is.

garnish

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 30, 2019, 11:27:58 AM
I see Dominic Grieve is the latest remain hero, centre and left alike, despite having a horrible voting record. The above mentioned Sam Gyimah amongst the endless list of MPs from all parties who just happened to go to the same school as Grieve saying how great he is.

Really? Who's saying that exactly?

jobotic

He's back and the shit is spouting already!

I can't have Greive as a hero because I'm still worshipping Oliver Letwin, but his time will come.

biggytitbo

Quote from: garnish on March 30, 2019, 11:47:44 AM
Really? Who's saying that exactly?

Well he's number 1 trending topic on twitter. Click his name and you'll see exactly what I mean.

pancreas

Quote from: jobotic on March 30, 2019, 11:52:17 AM
He's back and the shit is spouting already!

I can't have Greive as a hero because I'm still worshipping Oliver Letwin, but his time will come.

Go fuck yourself. Grieve means Grieve.

biggytitbo

The Grieve love in is another example of how the media and political classes, all coming from the same few schools and narrow social background, have far more in common with each other than the voters. Part of the reason we're in this mess.

As is this - https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/102854/watch-mps-being-reduced-tears-stress-constant-commons

QuoteMPs have been reduced to tears over the relentless Brexit voting process and they should be given "protection" against the strain, it has been claimed.

An example of how British statecraft has become so enfeebled and hollowed out by the EU - that our politicians having to make big historical decisions and be responsible for them is enough to send them into a nervous breakdown.

Paul Calf

jobotic

The EU are responsible for our feeble politicians?

We need a few strong men in Parliament. Or maybe just one.

Head Gardener

biggytitbo

This sums up the centrist love in for the 'principled' and 'thoughtful' Grieve cos he's trying to stop Brexit. Nutty Mark Francois, who is a regarded as an extremist even on the right of the tory party has almost exactly the same shitty voting record as Grieve does -

QuoteFor anyone painting plummy Dominic Grieve as the antithesis to hardliners like Marc Francois; their voting record comparison from start of Tory Govt (6/5/10) to triggering of Article 50 (29/3/17):

Total both voted: 1012
Voted same: 1006
Voted opposite: 6
Total agreement: 99.4%
https://twitter.com/Trickyjabs/status/1111959484535107584

jobotic