Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit In Parliament Discussion Thread

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 28, 2019, 08:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on April 09, 2019, 10:56:21 PM
You say that but by any standard, May's stewardship of Great Britain stands like a colussus of light, wisdom and righteousness above Cameron's smear of a tenure.  We must always remember that.

Probably the most incorrect statement by your good self on this forum. May's tenure has been humiliation, incompetence, and egomania on an industrial scale.

Urinal Cake

May is like a persistent breeze annoying but ultimately harmless. Cameron is like a passing storm- memorable at first but then forgotten. Until you get to your train or bus and then find services have been delayed by 3 years.

Captain Z

Quote from: Alberon on April 09, 2019, 11:11:28 PM
May will want to see it out to the end of the year, but her party hates her as much as we do. She'll be dragged out of Number 10 kicking and screaming very soon.

Copyright March 2017.

BlodwynPig

It's disgusting seeing some members of this forum warming to May and in some cases making excuses for her.

pancreas

This forum is full of Guardian journalists, didn't you know?

Paul Calf

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 09, 2019, 11:56:17 PM
Probably the most incorrect statement by your good self on this forum. May's tenure has been humiliation, incompetence, and egomania on an industrial scale.

I assumed that Buelligan was joking. To call May's stubborn egotism and her endless pushing of hate, fear and racist propaganda both as Home Sec and PM 'a colossus of light, wisdom and righteousness' is surely to make a statement whose crassness is itself a form of satire?

greencalx

The one mitigating factor I think is that hers in an impossible job, the creation of which is not entirely her fault. But

- she didn't have to stand to be PM
- she didn't have to call an election and lose her working majority
- she didn't have to set the red lines that she did
- she didn't have to be such a bloody difficult woman

and so on. I have more than once in my lifetime thought "This is easily the worst PM we've ever had", only for that to change when the next one came in...

katzenjammer

She could resign and live the lifestyle of a retired millionaire

Quote from: greencalx on April 10, 2019, 08:23:04 AM
I have more than once in my lifetime thought "This is easily the worst PM we've ever had", only for that to change when the next one came in...

God yes. You barely have time to breathe a sigh of relief before the even bigger cunt is revealed

Replies From View

Quote from: Urinal Cake on April 10, 2019, 12:07:53 AM
May is like a persistent breeze annoying but ultimately harmless.

And, like a persistent breeze, she is an evil former Home Secretary who wants everyone below a certain income threshold to die a painful death.  And also like a persistent breeze she sure does hate those black-skinned folk!  And she is a paedophile!

biggytitbo

The one mitigating factor I think is that hers in an impossible job, the creation of which is not entirely her fault. But

and so on. I have more than once in my lifetime thought "This is easily the worst PM we've ever had", only for that to change when the next one came in...

There's just so much she could have done better but i can't see how there would ever have been any other outcome but parliamentary deadlock, whatever she did. Not enough of them want to leave to vote for any version of leave.

Urinal Cake

May steps aside and Gove takes over. Yay!

Replies From View

Quote from: Urinal Cake on April 10, 2019, 08:48:55 AM
May steps aside and Gove takes over. Yay!

I'm looking forward to the regeneration scene, to be fair.  Fingers crossed we get a close-up of the morphing genitals this time!

DrGreggles

She's fucking useless.

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 09, 2019, 11:56:17 PM

Always keep in mind Matthew 7:16 and remember the word, compared

I think May's a loathsome and probably, evil-minded, person, nevertheless, she took over a country on the brink of utter disaster and her prevarication, which I have to assume is intentional, has saved Britain from being permanently fucked (until now). 

Compared with that, Cameron received a reasonable country into his care, on which he visited Austerity followed by Brexit (for no good reason at all).  I rest my case.

Dr Trouser

May gave Sajid Javid the boot from BIS where he was fucking useless. That and the creation of the Industrial Strategy puts her only very slightly just above spoon face.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Dr Trouser on April 10, 2019, 09:31:18 AM
May gave Sajid Javid the boot from BIS where he was fucking useless.

Couldn't nail the backing vocals in 'Kandy Pop'?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 10, 2019, 08:42:36 AM

There's just so much she could have done better but i can't see how there would ever have been any other outcome but parliamentary deadlock, whatever she did. Not enough of them want to leave to vote for any version of leave.

She should have wound the whole fucking thing up within a year instead of dragging it to two and letting the Brexit momentum slip.

Might just have got there with more enthusiasm from the public as there would have been.

Instead it's always felt flabby and subject to further distendments. Like Mark Williams.

Just like Brown she has no grasp of the route to take with major decisions, and yet an ill-advised determination to see the mistaken route through at all costs 'cos that's what strong leader do'.

idunnosomename

remember the thing that's keeping her going is her unshakable belief in the conservative party, and that they are the only party fit for government. if she just threw in the towel it could quite possibly destroy the tories.

Although there must be a bit of xenophobia that gets her up every morning too.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 10, 2019, 12:47:53 PM
remember the thing that's keeping her going is her unshakable belief in the conservative party, and that they are the only party fit for government. if she just threw in the towel it could quite possibly destroy the tories.

Although there must be a bit of xenophobia that gets her up every morning too.

Yeah as per TTOI, the thing about the Evil is their great work ethic.

I'm pretty sure she's fucked though now. Whether she chooses long delay or escape route via Corbyn. No doubt she will string either out as long as possible, but I have a feeling she needs to accept Labour's Brexit or she'll be a goner.

This doesn't save us from Brexit mind, but it does from May.

olliebean

The ERG's plan now seems to be May out in December at the latest (when her immunity from in-party no confidence votes expires), Brexiteer in (probably Boris), force through no deal Brexit regardless of what might have been agreed in the meantime. Their biggest fear (short of Corbyn in No.10) is that May manages to get us out with a deal that doesn't suit them before they can get rid of her.

Urinal Cake

The plan was that May would pull her deal through, Tories would replace her and then blame any Brexit issues on her as well as the EU.
This changed since cynics/pragmatists like Johnson aren't controlling the votes but idealogues are.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 10, 2019, 12:39:48 PM
She should have wound the whole fucking thing up within a year instead of dragging it to two and letting the Brexit momentum slip.

Might just have got there with more enthusiasm from the public as there would have been.

Instead it's always felt flabby and subject to further distendments. Like Mark Williams.

Just like Brown she has no grasp of the route to take with major decisions, and yet an ill-advised determination to see the mistaken route through at all costs 'cos that's what strong leader do'.

A lot of years ago, a mate of mine read "The Seven Habits Of Highly Effective People" which apparently advises that

"Successful people make decisions quickly (as soon as all the facts are available) and change them very slowly (if ever). Unsuccessful people make decisions very slowly, and change them often and quickly."

I mean, what a load of old bollocks that is. But I'll bet May's read it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Trouser on April 10, 2019, 09:31:18 AM
May gave Sajid Javid the boot from BIS where he was fucking useless. That and the creation of the Industrial Strategy puts her only very slightly just above spoon face.

You're insane.

Alberon

Politicians put a lot of stock in not changing their minds. May has just ramped that up its logical insane conclusion.

She's going to walk into that meeting with the EU later and chunter on about a short delay and how she will get her deal through Parliament. It's absolutely mental, but that's what she's going to do.

EOLAN

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 10, 2019, 01:43:15 PM
A lot of years ago, a mate of mine read "The Seven Habits Of Highly Effective People" which apparently advises that

"Successful people make decisions quickly (as soon as all the facts are available) and change them very slowly (if ever). Unsuccessful people make decisions very slowly, and change them often and quickly."

Sounds like hogwash. And assumes that facts never change or are all known by one specific point in time.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You can imagine herz Peep Show style murmuring "I'm Thatcher, I'm Thatcher" as she walks through the valley of disapproving stares.

Cuellar

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 10, 2019, 01:43:15 PM

My brother, who works in the city selling trading software to banks and as result used to have a lot of lunches/dinners with bankers, said whenever you get to a restaurant you have to decide what you're having within 10 seconds or something or they think you're a twat. Or something. I dunno, I thought it was the behaviour of a bunch of tossers.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

græskar

Quote from: Alberon on April 10, 2019, 02:36:40 PM
She's going to walk into that meeting with the EU later and chunter on about a short delay and how she will get her deal through Parliament.

She's going to say "Brexit means Brexit", surely

BlodwynPig

Theresa May reportedly told the 27 to go fuck themselves. Turmoil in the room. Glass of water thrown over the Slovenian premier. She SURELY MUST GO NOW.