Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:38:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films To Be Buried With

Started by SteveDave, March 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

I'm (not) Brett Goldstein and I'm very sorry but you've died.

The good news is that there is a Heaven and they all watch films up there. Here are some questions...

What's the first film you remember seeing?

What is the film that made you cry the most?

What is the film that scared you the most?

What film did you used to love, but you watched it recently and gone "Oh dear this does not hold up"?

What is the film that you love that most people hate?

What is the film that you love the most not because of the film itself but because of the experience you had around it?

What is the film that you thought was the sexiest?

What is the film that you relate to the most?

What's the worst film ever?

What's your favourite film?

What is objectively the greatest film ever made?

What's the film you've watched the most?

What's the funniest film?

What's the one film you'll take to show when it's your turn at the film night in Heaven?

Absorb the anus burn

phantom_power

I quite enjoy this podcast, or at least the concept of it. The problem is most of the guests are his mates of a similar age so the choices end up being very similar. Also he has people on who profess to be big fans of cinema and then show themselves to only seem to like big hollywood films.

SteveDave

SteveDave

Quote from: phantom_power on March 28, 2019, 10:00:12 AM
I quite enjoy this podcast, or at least the concept of it. The problem is most of the guests are his mates of a similar age so the choices end up being very similar. Also he has people on who profess to be big fans of cinema and then show themselves to only seem to like big hollywood films.

That's great...love that film.

sevendaughters

First film: Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach. Possibly seen it 50 times. I can remember every line.
Cry the most: I find it really hard to cry but I got choked up at Scrooged when I saw it in the cinema.
Scared me the most: I felt existentially haunted by Human Centipede. It isn't good, but it left me rotten for days.
Used to love, but no more: Punchdrunk Love
I love but others hate: probably something abstract like Dog Star Man
Love it because of the experience around it: I used to think Evil Dead 2 (was stoned and drunk and laughed for hours) but I saw it recently and it holds up sober! So maybe The Man Who Saves The World.
Sexiest film: Empire Records
Relate to the most: anything I say is probably pretentious but Ikiru.
Worst film: Fred The Movie
Favourite film: Come and See
Objective best: I don't believe in that Kantian separation between the agreeable and the classic, Come and See is my favourite.
Watched the most: Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach
Funniest film: American Movie
Heaven Film Club screening: Penda's Fen

SteveDave

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 28, 2019, 10:21:30 AM
First film: Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach. Possibly seen it 50 times. I can remember every line.
Cry the most: I find it really hard to cry but I got choked up at Scrooged when I saw it in the cinema.
Scared me the most: I felt existentially haunted by Human Centipede. It isn't good, but it left me rotten for days.
Used to love, but no more: Punchdrunk Love
I love but others hate: probably something abstract like Dog Star Man
Love it because of the experience around it: I used to think Evil Dead 2 (was stoned and drunk and laughed for hours) but I saw it recently and it holds up sober! So maybe The Man Who Saves The World.
Sexiest film: Empire Records
Relate to the most: anything I say is probably pretentious but Ikiru.
Worst film: Fred The Movie
Favourite film: Come and See
Objective best: I don't believe in that Kantian separation between the agreeable and the classic, Come and See is my favourite.
Watched the most: Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach
Funniest film: American Movie
Heaven Film Club screening: Penda's Fen

That's great...love all those films.

SteveDave

I'll stop doing these replies now as I do love the podcast. Sorry.

St_Eddie

Quote from: SteveDave on March 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AM

An old black and white horror film about a giant spider.  It was attacking a bridge in a city.  Absolutely no idea what it was but that image is the earliest one that I have of watching a film (or rather catching glimpses of it as my Dad watched it on TV).  I would have been around 3 years old or so, I think.

Quote from: SteveDave on March 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AMWhat is the film that made you cry the most?

Probably A Street Cat Named Bob.  Sad/emotional films with animals are pretty much a guaranteed tear fest for me.

Quote from: SteveDave on March 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AMWhat is the film that scared you the most?

As a jaded middle-aged man with an affinity for the horror genre, The Blair Witch Project and The Exorcist remain the only two films which still hold the power to terrify me.  The former as a result of enabling my imagination to take over and conjure all sorts of terrible scenarios within my mind and the latter for the scene of Father Karras having a vision of his Mother waving goodbye to him and descending down some steps into a subway station (a metaphor for her descent into Hell).  To this day, I sometimes have to go to sleep with the lights on after watching either of those two films.

Quote from: SteveDave on March 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AMWhat film did you used to love, but you watched it recently and gone "Oh dear this does not hold up"?

The Butterfly Effect.  I used to think that it was brilliant, clever and profound.  I now think that it's naff, stupid and pretentious.  It's also features the most egregious plot hole that I'm ever encountered in a film.

EDIT: Actually, no.  I retract my previous statement.  The correct answer is Road Trip.  I loved that movie when I was a stupid teen.  I used to watch it at least once a week.  I couldn't even fathom watching it these days and I don't need to.  I know that it's awful because I can remember it wholesale.  A load of puerile, crass, lowest common denominator garbage.

Quote from: SteveDave on March 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AMWhat is the film that you love that most people hate?

Ah, dammit!  I can't think of what it would be off the top of my head.  It's the sort of thing that only occurs to me when I'm reading an online forum and a bunch of people say 'urgh, that movie sucked' and I'm suddenly reminded 'oh, yeah.  I forgot that it's generally hated.  I guess I'm one of the few that loves it'.  In lieu of a proper answer, for now I'll simply state a film which I like (not love) that most people consider to be awful; Donkey Punch.  I'll have to get back to you on this one and provide you with a better answer, should it occur to me.

Quote from: SteveDave on March 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AMWhat is the film that you love the most not because of the film itself but because of the experience you had around it?

As previously mentioned I love the film in its own right but still, I'm going to have to say The Blair Witch Project again.  I'm eternally grateful to my parents for taking me to a special advanced screening of it, before general release and before it become a pop culture phenomenon.  Few people had heard of it at this point.  My parents purposefully told me that it was a documentary and didn't elaborate any further.  I didn't know what to expect at all.  I sat through the film, taking my parents on their word and believing that what I was seeing was a real-life documentary.  Terrified doesn't begin to describe it.

It's easy for people these days to laugh at me for that, I guess and say "ha.  How gullible were you?!"  but I doubt those people saw the film under the same conditions as I did (not to mention that it was one of the first horror films to use the found footage format.  Certainly the first to breakout into the mainstream).  Most people watched it after general release, when it was already relatively known that it was a work of fiction.  I count myself as extremely lucky to have seen an advanced screening and to have such awesome parents who would ensure that I went into it believing that it was real.

Quote from: SteveDave on March 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AMWhat is the film that you thought was the sexiest?

Eh.  I'm kind of with Ridley Scott on the topic of sex in films; "sex is only fun when you're partaking in it.  The rest of the time it's boring".  However, speaking of Ridley Scott, back in the pre-Internet days, I wore out my Dad's VHS copy of Blade Runner by repeatedly jerking off to the scene where the snake lady gets her tits out.  Unfortunately, the warping of the tape only occurred during that specific scene, due to my continuous rewinding and playing of it over several weeks.  I hid the VHS at the back of my Dad's tape collection in the hopes that he would never watch it and discover what a filthy spider monkey his Son was.  To this day, I don't know if he ever did discover my shameful secret.

Quote from: SteveDave on March 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AMWhat is the film that you relate to the most?

I'm not sure that I should admit this but it's genuinely Bitter Moon.  Yeah, I was in a pretty fucked up and destructive relationship at one point in my life.

Quote from: SteveDave on March 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AMWhat's the worst film ever?

Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem.  A movie that's bad on every level; concept, script, performances, direction, you name it.  The one potential redeeming factor, the special effects, are completely negated by virtue of the fact that the cinematography is so incompetent and dark that you literally can't see what's happening on screen during the dark/nighttime scenes, which accounts for approximately 80% of the movie.  Egregious.

The Exorcist II: The Heretic would come second to that but at least that's somewhat interesting in just how bafflingly misguided and terrible it is, to a limited point at least.

Quote from: SteveDave on March 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AMWhat's your favourite film?

Either Under the Skin or the aforementioned Bitter Moon.  Both represent the absolute pinnacle of everything that I adore about the medium of film.

Quote from: SteveDave on March 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AMWhat is objectively the greatest film ever made?

I don't think that there's any such thing as a single objectively greatest film ever made because placing one film above all others is by nature a subjective matter.  There's too many objectively well made films to single one out.  In terms of my favourite films which are objectively well made, a few which immediately spring to mind would be Alien, The Shining, Brazil, Fargo, Goodfellas and There Will Be Blood.  There's absolutely tons though.

Quote from: SteveDave on March 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AMWhat's the film you've watched the most?

Bitter Moon has to be up there, in terms of the ratio of when I discovered it (five years ago) to how many times I've watched it within that time frame (15 or so times).  In terms of most views overall, probably Alien (too many viewings to count but at an estimate; 60+ times)

Quote from: SteveDave on March 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AMWhat's the funniest film?

It's a tossup between The Big Lebowski and Withnail & I.  Both are eminently quotable.

Quote from: SteveDave on March 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AMWhat's the one film you'll take to show when it's your turn at the film night in Heaven?

The Devil's Rejects.

Avril Lavigne

What's the first film you remember seeing?  A: Ghostbusters.

What is the film that made you cry the most?  A: Cast Away (because of Wilson) and I think I cried quite a few times when I first saw Forrest Gump when I was a kid. So anything with Tom Hanks really, including Dragnet.

What is the film that scared you the most?  A: If we're not counting the random scares that come from watching something like Pee-Wee's Big Adventure at a young age, I can't really think of a film that's actually scared me because I spent so much my early teens binge-watching horror and numbing myself to its effect.  That said, I found Under The Skin to be existentially unsettling and depressing in such a way that I haven't revisited it since my first viewing.

What film did you used to love, but you watched it recently and gone "Oh dear this does not hold up"?  A: I'm sure that as a kid I thought both Hot Shots movies were equally good, but on rewatching both last year I laughed a lot at the first yet didn't even finish Part Deux.  Also a few years back I showed Dragnet to a friend and quickly realised my positive memories of it were mostly from watching it as an eight-year-old fan of Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks and it's actually kinda mediocre.

What is the film that you love that most people hate?  A: Freddy Got Fingered, although 'love' is a strong word.  I'm a fan of Tom Green and most of the things he's done (so much so that I actually bought the rap album he released in 2005 at a time when he'd been largely forgotten by everyone else).

What is the film that you love the most not because of the film itself but because of the experience you had around it?  A: Jackass The Movie or American Pie because watching them for the first time with friends as a teenager were rare occasions when I actually felt vaguely normal and in-step with the zeitgeist.

What is the film that you thought was the sexiest?  A: Maybe Mulholland Drive for the audition scene.

What is the film that you relate to the most?  A: Ghost World.

What's the worst film ever?  A: Difficult to say, I've seen more bad films than good at this point and plenty of them are just inoffensively rubbish. The ones that actively annoy me are usually huge missed opportunities like Blair Witch (2016) or AVP: Alien vs Predator, both of which could have enhanced their respective franchises but instead just furthered their descent into sludge.

What's your favourite film?  A: A tie between My Dinner With Andre and Back To The Future.

What is objectively the greatest film ever made?  A: I've just spent way too long pondering the very nature of this question and how it's supposed to work so I'm just going to say Toy Story 2 and move on.

What's the film you've watched the most?  A: It's either Ghostbusters, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, Critters 2, The 'Burbs or either of the first two Back To The Future films.  These are all films I often rented & eventually bought on VHS as a kid & still enjoy to this day.

What's the funniest film?  A: I'm not sure. The Naked Gun, Wayne's World and Dumb & Dumber always raise a smile from me.

What's the one film you'll take to show when it's your turn at the film night in Heaven?  A: Defending Your Life.

Jerzy Bondov

Just did this quite quickly but I'm happy with these picks:

The Little Mermaid. I had to go out for a bit because it was too scary.

I cry like fuck at everything but recently A Ghost Story really got me. The second he read the note I just started blubbing uncontrollably.

Probably Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. It's a cursed film. You put it on and it's like you've popped an evil presence down in the corner of the room, for entertainment.

What film did you used to love, but you watched it recently and gone "Oh dear this does not hold up"?
Road House is really boring for quite long stretches

Hate is probably a bit strong but I fucking love The Rules of Attraction

What is the film that you love the most not because of the film itself but because of the experience you had around it?
Got noshed off watching Reservoir Dogs

Chloe with Amanda Seyfried and Julianne Moore. Very hot under the collar watching that.

I don't know. This one has got me thinking. I don't think I really look to relate to films. I want an out of body experience, not a mirror on myself. Maybe, bizarrely, as it's a film about a Japanese schoolgirl, Whisper of the Heart, for what it says about creativity.

It's Love Actually, actually.

The Apartment, no hesitation, perfect film.

I don't know. I only know what I like. And I like The Apartment.

Almost certainly Home Alone.

Step Brothers. We're here to fuck shit up.

What's the one film you'll take to show when it's your turn at the film night in Heaven?
Seconds

This was really fun, I'm going to try the podcast. Great thread.

BlodwynPig

The Dogs (1935)
The Dogs (1958)
The Dogs (1966)
The Dogs (1975)
The Dogs (1983)
The Dogs (1994)
The Dogs (2015)
The Dogs (2017)
The Dogs (2019)

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 28, 2019, 12:45:44 PM
The Little Mermaid. I had to go out for a bit because it was too scary.

Ah, I forgot about that one!  It's the first film I saw at a cinema and that may have been before I saw Ghostbusters on VHS.

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 28, 2019, 12:45:44 PM
Almost certainly Home Alone.

Forgot about this one too and considering I watch it as a yearly Xmas tradition, it has to be very high up in the viewing-count.

greenman

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 28, 2019, 10:44:19 AMEh.  I'm kind of with Ridley Scott on the topic of sex in films; "sex is only fun when you're partaking in it.  The rest of the time it's boring".

Theres certainly been a lot of rather pointless sex/nudity down the years that hasn't added much to the films its in but I think equally the idea that turning the audience on is somehow inherently wrong is highly questionable. A lot of analysis of art seems to bend over backwards looking to avoid this which I think only ends up giving ammo to the more puritanical side, really I think it should be more a question of whether turning the audience on actually benefited the film in the same way communicating anger, fear, sadness, etc to them might.

I think you could probably argue that films being successfully sexy is one of the rarer achievements though relative to successfully scary, etc.

St_Eddie

Quote from: greenman on March 28, 2019, 01:08:34 PM
Theres certainly been a lot of rather pointless sex/nudity down the years that hasn't added much to the films its in but I think equally the idea that turning the audience on is somehow inherently wrong is highly questionable. A lot of analysis of art seems to bend over backwards looking to avoid this which I think only ends up giving ammo to the more puritanical side, really I think it should be more a question of whether turning the audience on actually benefited the film in the same way communicating anger, fear, sadness, etc to them might.

I think you could probably argue that films being successfully sexy is one of the rarer achievements though relative to successfully scary, etc.

I'm absolutely fine with a sex scene if it serves a narrative or character orientated purpose, beyond the mere reveal of 'they're having sex now'.  One of my previously mentioned favourite films, Bitter Moon is full of sexual content but it's 100% there to serve the narrative and characterisation.  Sometimes it can be a fine line.  For example, the sex scene between Sarah and Kyle in The Terminator; that absolutely serves a very important narrative purpose; the conception of the future leader of the resistance.  However, it drags on for an unnecessarily long time in my opinion.

I'm just sat there, going 'yeah, fine. I get it.  They're fucking. I understand the implications of these two having sex but do we need to have the scene going on for such an extended period of time?'.  Okay, it's perhaps a little more complex than that, as it also shows the trust and affection that Sarah's developed for Kyle over the course of an evening but I still think that it doesn't need to go on for as long as it does.

It's either that or things like Game of Thrones, where characters will just walk around naked for no good reason other than salacious titillation.  I have no interest in being turned on during a narrative experience.  If I want to be sexually aroused by a video, then I'll stick a porno on (at which point, conversely, I'll skip any unnecessary narrative).  I don't watch films to get turned on, I watch them for the story and characterisation.

I don't know.  It just seems cheap and base to me.  I don't understand the appeal of watching a film, following the narrative and then briefly getting turned on by a gratuitous sex scene or a flash of nudity, before returning back to the narrative.  I mean, what's the point?  Are you going to pause the film and have a fiddle, before resuming?  I don't see what people are getting out of it.

You say that a film may benefit from turning on its audience but I'm struggling to see how.  Could you provide an example?  The only possibility I can think of would be something like Under the Skin, in as much as the sex scenes and nudity in that are subverted to quickly become dark and twisted.  The juxtaposition of beauty in its naked form and horrible, unpleasant unease.  I could see how someone may start one of those scenes, feeling turned on and then be made to feel as confused as the other characters when things quickly take a turn towards the grim.  However, I can't say that those scenes have ever personally turned me on.  They're creepy and unsettling more than anything, especially with that haunting soundtrack.

Sorry, I'm not expressing myself very well.  As I say, any examples of films which benefit from turning the audience on would likely help me in getting a better grasp on things, I feel.

Jerzy Bondov

Eddie I know what you mean. But I do also love to see a nice bit of rufty! It's just exciting, like a car going off a ramp, or someone taking off their mask to reveal someone you thought was dead, or a man going out a window. Why not also add naked people having it off? All part of the fun of the movies!

I feel like there's room for sex scenes that say something about sex itself or about how a character feels about their budding humanity (like Under the Skin), as well as sex scenes that give you a raging bonk on. Just as you can have violent scenes that say something about violence (You Were Never Really Here), as well as violent scenes that absolutely fucking rip jesus christ did you see that my god look at that (The Night Comes for Us). I just want a movie to give me a reaction, and if that reaction is that I fancy a quick tug so be it.

But I'd struggle to give you examples. I can think of loads of films with enjoyable carnage but not so many with arousing shagging. I think I've only recently cum around to the idea that it's okay to find a film arousing, whereas I've been enjoying gratuitous slayings since forever. It does feel a bit porny to deliberately seek out erotic films, but I should. Why not?

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on March 28, 2019, 01:03:33 PM
Ah, I forgot about that one!  It's the first film I saw at a cinema and that may have been before I saw Ghostbusters on VHS.

Forgot about this one too and considering I watch it as a yearly Xmas tradition, it has to be very high up in the viewing-count.
You are me except I didn't see Ghostbusters until 2017. Thought it was alright but I was disappointed that the Ghostbusters were men.

phantom_power

I was listening to a podcast with the screenwriters of Die Hard the other day and one of the writers said that it is one of Joel Silver's edicts - If you are going to get an R rating for violence you may as well put some tits in as well. I never really understood this. I can see tits whenever I want. I don't need them inserted into action films as well

St_Eddie

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 28, 2019, 02:11:30 PM
I feel like there's room for sex scenes that say something about sex itself or about how a character feels about their budding humanity (like Under the Skin)...

I fully agree.

...as well as sex scenes that give you a raging bonk on.

...and that's where you lose me.

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 28, 2019, 02:11:30 PMI just want a movie to give me a reaction, and if that reaction is that I fancy a quick tug so be it.

What, when you're in the cinema?  Who the fuck are you?  Paul Reubens?

Quote from: phantom_power on March 28, 2019, 02:23:12 PM
I was listening to a podcast with the screenwriters of Die Hard the other day and one of the writers said that it is one of Joel Silver's edicts - If you are going to get an R rating for violence you may as well put some tits in as well. I never really understood this.

Exactly.  It's ridiculous.  "Oh, it's an R rating?  Quickly, shove some tits in there and a few more utterances of the word fuck and also... oh, I dunno... have a literal fountain of cum with severed dicks as figureheads."  How does that improve the movie in any fashion whatsoever?  It's gratuitous for the sake of being gratuitous.  Utterly pointless and potentially to the detriment of the film itself.

Quote from: phantom_power on March 28, 2019, 02:23:12 PMI don't need them inserted into action films as well

Absolutely.  Well, unless it's three of them on one woman, as seen in Total Recall.  That's the kind of nudity in cinema that I can get behind.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: phantom_power on March 28, 2019, 02:23:12 PM
I was listening to a podcast with the screenwriters of Die Hard the other day and one of the writers said that it is one of Joel Silver's edicts - If you are going to get an R rating for violence you may as well put some tits in as well. I never really understood this. I can see tits whenever I want. I don't need them inserted into action films as well
Sure you can see tits whenever you want, but you can also just watch clips of action on YouTube whenever you want. With a film, you can have all that plus a story!

I'm with Silver but I'd say you might as well have some cocks too, just to be fair. Something for everyone.

Gulftastic

The good news is that there is a Heaven and they all watch films up there. Here are some questions...

Disney's Peter Pan

The Green Mile

The Evil Dead

Goonies

Dude, Where's My Car?

Trainspotting

Bound

Field Of Dreams

Attack Of The Clones

Singin' In The Rain

Goodfellas

Singin' In The Rain

Dumb & Dumber

12 Monkeys

Small Man Big Horse

I think it was Star Wars, when I was five years old but I probably saw something on tv beforehand, quite possibly The First Men On The Moon which I absolutely adored and do so to this day. Or maybe Digby The Biggest Dog In The World, they were all from that time and I loved them equally.

Lordy, there's a question, as many have, but Grave Of The Fireflies springs to mind. That infamous sequence in Up comes a close second though.

I don't generally get scared by horror but I did watch An American Werewolf In London when I was eight and that freaked the fuck out of me.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - it still works in places but it's surprisingly tedious at certain points, not bad, just boring.

The Apple, it got terrible reviews and has 4.3 on imdb but I think it's an enormous amount of fun.

Struggling to think of one, though watching From Dusk Til Dawn drunk and laughing a huge amount with a friend while the rest of the audience was completely silent is a fond memory.

Y Tu Mama Tambien gave me the horn when I saw it at the cinema, which is not a good place to have a raging erection.

Can't think of one right now but it used to be Better Off Dead, as I was an overly romantic teen obsessed with one girl and struggling with suicidal thoughts.

Blair Witch Project - I know a lot of people love it and I don't wish to cause offence, but for me it's just three fucking irritating people mucking about in the woods being beyond stupid, and then at the end the camera falls over.

Varies all the time, but right now it's Love Exposure.

Digby The Biggest Dog In The World.

Better Off Dead, with Bill & Ted's coming a close second.

Little Shop Of Horrors. Or Harold and Maude. Or Life Of Brian. Or Dr Strangelove. Or something I've forgotten. Edit: Step-Brothers, that's the one I forgot, and possibly did make me laugh the most too.

The Nine Lives Of Thomas Katz, because it's fantastic and hardly any fucker has seen it.

greenman

Eddie I know what you mean. But I do also love to see a nice bit of rufty! It's just exciting, like a car going off a ramp, or someone taking off their mask to reveal someone you thought was dead, or a man going out a window. Why not also add naked people having it off? All part of the fun of the movies!

I feel like there's room for sex scenes that say something about sex itself or about how a character feels about their budding humanity (like Under the Skin), as well as sex scenes that give you a raging bonk on. Just as you can have violent scenes that say something about violence (You Were Never Really Here), as well as violent scenes that absolutely fucking rip jesus christ did you see that my god look at that (The Night Comes for Us). I just want a movie to give me a reaction, and if that reaction is that I fancy a quick tug so be it.

But I'd struggle to give you examples. I can think of loads of films with enjoyable carnage but not so many with arousing shagging. I think I've only recently cum around to the idea that it's okay to find a film arousing, whereas I've been enjoying gratuitous slayings since forever. It does feel a bit porny to deliberately seek out erotic films, but I should. Why not?

There does seem like a pretty questionable imbalance in how much violence is accepted relative to sex in a lot of popular culture even relative to moral values many would otherwise state. Not only is gratuitous violence viewed less critically but you get the situation were all sex seems viewed as gratuitous regardless of its importance to a story.

As far as the examples given I think Scott got Blade Runner right, the Deckard/Rachael romance doesn't really have an overly sexual element to it so we don't need to see it consummated and indeed I think we need some uncertainty about Deckards redemption left until the scenes with Roy. Equally I think showing Zhora topless does obviously reveal a lot about her character and play into the more sexual flirtations between her and Deckard.

Under the Skin I think its actually the difference between various scenes that plays up the story. Earlier in the film in the "black room" the nudity is deliberately very mechanical highlighting the impersonal nature of  her entrapping these men, the scene with the deformed man touching her face in the van is I'd say more sexual showing her shift towards humanity and her looking at herself in the mirror and attempting sex with her prince charming is intentionally more erotic even if its also quite unsettling.

Game of Thrones I think is really a bit of both, definitely a lot of gratuitous sex and violence but also a good deal of both that serves to advance its various plots/themes, Theons character for example probably wouldn't have worked without showing what they did.

Often I tend to find its actually smaller amounts of sex/nudity that are most poorly done and gratuitous, there were endless examples of 80's/90's action/comedy films throwing a bit of it in with barely any relevance to the story. At the other end of the spectrum stuff like Shame and Blue is the Warmest Colour showed a hell of a lot a lot arguably for near opposite purposes both very successfully, Shame really feels very unerotic showing how mechanical and unfulfilling his addiction is, Blue really spend much of the film building up the attraction and I think showing the sex as the healthy part of the relationship with the dysfunction elsewhere.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 28, 2019, 04:21:25 PM

Digby The Biggest Dog In The World.

That's genuinely my Mum's least favourite film of all time because back in '73, she spent the Summer working as a projectionist at her local cinema and had to endure the film over and over and over again.  She was absolute sick of it by the time her Summer job came to an end.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 28, 2019, 05:23:27 PM
That's genuinely my Mum's least favourite film of all time because back in '73, she spent the Summer working as a projectionist at her local cinema and had to endure the film over and over and over again.  She was absolute sick of it by the time her Summer job came to an end.

I can understand that, I used to work as a stage manager and even if I liked the play at the beginning by the sixtieth performance I was bored to tears by it. Though you should force her to watch it now as after all this time hopefully she'll be able to see what a piece of cinematic genius it is!

chveik

What's the first film you remember seeing? no idea

What is the film that made you cry the most? An Affair to Remember

What is the film that scared you the most? the magician's segment in Fantasia, when I was a kid.

What film did you used to love, but you watched it recently and gone "Oh dear this does not hold up"? most recently Lost Highway.

What is the film that you love that most people hate? The Legend of Zu

What is the film that you love the most not because of the film itself but because of the experience you had around it? probably a film I've watched with my little sister, like The Nightmare Before Christmas.

What is the film that you thought was the sexiest? Valmont

What is the film that you relate to the most? The Man Who Sleeps

What's the worst film ever? Frances Ha

What's your favourite film? Days of Heaven at the moment. L'Avventura before that.

What is objectively the greatest film ever made? any nature documentary by Jean Painlevé.

What's the film you've watched the most?  I must have seen Phantom of the Paradise at least 5 times. it's quite a lot for me.

What's the funniest film? Nuts in May, or The Phantom of Libery

What's the one film you'll take to show when it's your turn at the film night in Heaven? Hard to Be A God

St_Eddie

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 28, 2019, 06:31:28 PM
I can understand that, I used to work as a stage manager and even if I liked the play at the beginning by the sixtieth performance I was bored to tears by it. Though you should force her to watch it now as after all this time hopefully she'll be able to see what a piece of cinematic genius it is!

I don't think that's a very good idea.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 28, 2019, 02:37:29 PM
Sure you can see tits whenever you want, but you can also just watch clips of action on YouTube whenever you want. With a film, you can have all that plus a story!

Not everything in life needs to be a Kinder egg.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I guess the difference between sex scenes and fights is that a bout of fisticuffs, dragged out though it may be, serves the story. The baddie is an obstacle whose defeat moves the plot forward and the means by which it happens reveals stuff about the characters. If the baddie is supposed to be hard as nails, skipping over how they're defeated would be a bit of a deus ex machina.

That's not so much the case in a sex scene. They can reveal character detail, as in the contrasting shags in A History of Violence, but that could generally also be inferred from context.

St_Eddie

I agree with the above.

Quote from: Replies From View on March 30, 2019, 01:45:50 PM
Not everything in life needs to be a Kinder egg.

Damn!  You've just perfectly summarised in a single sentence what I waffled on about and struggled to communicate across many a paragraph.