Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,492
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:28:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kevin Ayers

Started by SteveDave, March 28, 2019, 03:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

It amazes me how a man with such a posh voice could be called Kevin.

I've been rinsing his albums for the past few weeks now and I can not get enough of him. I especially love the mental BBC sessions included as bonus songs that have got the rest of the Soft Machine dicking around on. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcEyb1OJELI

(That might not be the same one I've been listening to all day...does someone dedicate the song "To my mother, wherever he is"? I can't see YouTube in work)

"Singing A Song In The Morning" is almost the perfect pop song.

I'm currently listening to "Sweet Deceiver" and gazing at his lovely face.

My friend put a gig on by him in Cardiff in the early 2000s and she said he was lovely. Which is nice. 

PlanktonSideburns

Much time for his strange toffy almost hollow voice

the science eel

A wasted talent. An underachiever.

I love the first SM album, and whatevershebringswesing. And maybe one or two other songs. But he never aims to do anything other than please himself, subtly.

Fucking stoners, honestly.

BlodwynPig

I saw him play Renfrew Ferry in Glasgow and was bored to tears, sadly. I enjoy his collaborative efforts a lot more.

Deyv

whatevershebringswesing is great, yeah, but Joy of a Toy is also a delight. From the opening title track to All This Crazy Gift of Time. Love it.

I read what was apparently the last interview he gave and it was a bit sad, so I stuck on Stranger in Blue Suede Shoes. Wonderful stuff.

Sin Agog

If he'd done a whole album of songs from the bottom of a well, it would surely have been one of my favourites of all time.

Bennett Brauer

His father devised the Old Grey Whistle Test, and he got all Pepé Le Pew1 with an uncomfortable Kate Mossman when she interviewed him in France for Word Magazine. Take that to your dinner party.

Haven't listened to him in ages, but this thread means I will soon.

1.  I don't mean he shat himself - although seeing as he drank two bottles of wine before driving her back to his house at lunchtime and pouring himself a pint of Pernod, who knows?

Pauline Walnuts

He never made an album called Pubic Ayres.

A waste.

holyzombiejesus

I got one of his albums because Gorkys said it was the best album ever made. It wasn't. I like that live thing with John Cale and Nico though. Bye!

SteveDave

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 30, 2019, 12:47:33 AM
I got one of his albums because Gorkys said it was the best album ever made. It wasn't. I like that live thing with John Cale and Nico though. Bye!

What one did they think that about?

Fun fact, Kevin Ayers is the "bugger in the short sleeves" who "fucked his wife, did it quick then split" from the song "Guts" by John Cale. Cale found this out on the 31st of May 1974, the night before that live album was recorded.

rasta-spouse

Fan of the Shooting the Moon album. But really dig Wyatt, or Soft Machine even more.

Sin Agog

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 01, 2019, 09:08:36 AM
Fan of the Shooting the Moon album. But really dig Wyatt, or Soft Machine even more.

"The bugger in the long sleeves fell out of a window."

Sin Agog

Always thought this Ayers-led b-side to the Soft Machine's first single was a great bit of basso weirdness: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QBPW73o4Wjc

SteveDave

It's good to see that Kev wasn't immune to doing awful reggae like every other white rock star in the 70s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-C2Ar4gpi8

Sweet Jesus, that's awful. Fake Mexican Tourist Blues is only slightly better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTXRJs7wJEE

Mostly for not being a reggae song.

the science eel

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 01, 2019, 09:28:56 AM
Always thought this Ayers-led b-side to the Soft Machine's first single was a great bit of basso weirdness: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QBPW73o4Wjc

sooooo great!

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: SteveDave on April 01, 2019, 08:56:41 AM
What one did they think that about?

Fun fact, Kevin Ayers is the "bugger in the short sleeves" who "fucked his wife, did it quick then split" from the song "Guts" by John Cale. Cale found this out on the 31st of May 1974, the night before that live album was recorded.

Cale or Kevin's wife? And did he bugger her?

SteveDave

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 01, 2019, 11:40:34 AM
Cale or Kevin's wife? And did he bugger her?

Kevin did Cale's wife. No info about buggering. Probably. The posh are devils.