Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,382
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:16:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tinge UK - New Centrist Party [split topic]

Started by jobotic, March 29, 2019, 11:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

I think, having  made occasionally the mistake of replying in the past, is to scroll through without even reading them, ie ignore, or if others are responding, try to get the topic back on track as if they'd never posted.

I feel responding only with poetry or doggerel gets on their tits too.

jobotic

Quote from: NoSleep on June 05, 2019, 08:11:37 AM
It'll be the people that persist in engaging the trolls that will be the more depressing aspect. Just watching the futility of their actions and the pages of threads wasted to zero discussion, as they ensure that it is all about the trolls. Like picking a sore so that it never heals. What is really depressing is how, when some posters actually think about it and step back from engaging, then others rise to the occasion. Maybe the strategy should be to temp ban the worst offenders to make them realise that they are as guilty of trolling as the trolls.

Ban the people who respond to the trolls but not the trolls themselves?

NoSleep

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 05, 2019, 08:48:40 AM
I feel responding only with poetry or doggerel gets on their tits too.

So you don't ignore them at all. You actually care whether you are riling them, which is still food to a troll because it is attention. I like to think that, as children, these people were starved of attention by their parents and discovered that being naughty was a way to get noticed; possibly the story of every cunt you've ever known.

NoSleep

Quote from: jobotic on June 05, 2019, 09:37:29 AM
Ban the people who respond to the trolls but not the trolls themselves?

Temp ban them, yes. And completely ignore the trolls.

greencalx

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 04, 2019, 08:25:07 PM
The truly baffling thing is how they couldn't even get the stuff you'd think they'd be good at right. Media-savvy yet they couldn't pick a name or put together a coherent logo or a decent leaflet or have a press conference that doesn't have the air of a school assembly performed by a deputy head suffering a nervous breakdown.

That surprised me too. It also made me reconsidered the early days of Corbyn where the media made a big deal about the appointment of a shadow cabinet being a "shambles". Looking back, that was clearly the spin they wanted to put on it: we now know what a shambolic launch actually looks like.

This...

I think, ultimately, their biggest problem was that even though it was a party of centrists, there's still enough of an ideological divide between a Blairite and a Cameronite to make forming a coherent position on anything other than Brexit impossible. The truth for these sad fuckers is that Chuka Amunna has more in common with Jeremy Corbyn than he does with Heidi Allen, and Anna Soubry has more in common with Boris Johnson than she does Mike Gapes and it fucking ate them all alive.

...maybe provides the explanation. Perhaps they couldn't get a coherent media message together because they couldn't actually agree on anything beyond Brexit being a bit shit.

Sherman Krank

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Sherman Krank on June 05, 2019, 01:55:14 PM

You have to use the "Direct Link" not the "Image Link" on imgur.

Edit: oh you fixed it, never mind

BlodwynPig

Sherman Krank

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 05, 2019, 01:56:59 PM
You have to use the "Direct Link" not the "Image Link" on imgur.

Edit: oh you fixed it, never mind
Imgur appears to in the process of trying to tart itself up again and some bits don't seem to working as they should.

Alberon

Neville Chamberlain

I must say, the hapless antics of The Independent Change UK or whatever the fucking heck they're called has brought some sorely needed light relief over the past few months.

I, for one, will miss them.

Alberon

The Mighty Gapes and Soubry are still there to drive Change UK even further into the ground and the fortunes of the once and future independents will amuse. It's not quite over yet.

ZoyzaSorris

I kind of want them to keep soldiering on achieving nothing but splitting the Lib Dem vote.

Fabian Thomsett

We should really have five centrist parties all arguing over where the centre-ground is and endlessly splitting their parties over it etc.

Centrist parties to be the new Trot groups.

marquis_de_sad

Instead of the Life of Brian joke about endless similarly-named trot groupuscules, you get one group with three or four confusing names and logos.

Blumf

Alberon

It's been literally days since Change UK last changed their name so with the split the other day the last five holding out in the bunker decided to refresh it again.

They are now called 'Continuity Change UK'. Words fail me.

NoSleep

I wonder what new name Chuka has lined up for the LibDems?

Fambo Number Mive

The Guardian love using swearing in their comment articles, not sure if it is to be edgy but I wonder if it puts older people off and gives them an impression of the left as very foul mouthed, even though the Guardia  isn't part of the left. Was reading an opinion piece that had the usual "yrs Change UK were crap but so is everyone else" centrist rant and it had f**k in it

Blumf

BlodwynPig

olliebean

Quote from: Alberon on June 06, 2019, 12:18:39 PM
It's been literally days since Change UK last changed their name so with the split the other day the last five holding out in the bunker decided to refresh it again.

Bloody hell. After the other six left, I held myself back from posting "They'll be changing their name again any day now" because I thought surely even they wouldn't be that stupid. But sure enough...

And "Continuity Change" ffs - that's one of them there oxymorons, isn't it?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Alberon on June 06, 2019, 12:18:39 PM

They could have at least gone for 'Consecutive Change UK': https://youtu.be/oZdrVo8ERyQ?t=4m48s

EOLAN

Haha. Continuity Change. They really are following the template of the Life of Brian; as well as being a homage to one of those groups that thought the main IRA were too soft.

Although I can see this helping them interviews.
Interviewer: "But Mr Gapes; yesterday you said you believed in the global warming."
Mr Gapes: "Yes, but we in continuity change have the right to continually change our opinions on such matters."

BlodwynPig

Continuity Change : never knowingly discrete

marquis_de_sad

Continuity is Change
Losing is Winning
Centre is Marginal

Fambo Number Mive

NoSleep

imitationleather

The last incarnation shall now be referred to as Beta CUK.