Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:32:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tinge UK - New Centrist Party [split topic]

Started by jobotic, March 29, 2019, 11:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Alberon on June 06, 2019, 12:18:39 PM
It's been literally days since Change UK last changed their name so with the split the other day the last five holding out in the bunker decided to refresh it again.

They are now called 'Continuity Change UK'. Words fail me.

Is there a source for this?

Dr Rock

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 06, 2019, 08:52:34 PM
Isn't Continuity Change an oxymoron?

As pointed out on the last page you Oxy Moron

Alberon

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 06, 2019, 08:47:08 PM
Is there a source for this?

I got this from the Guardian, but several other news sites have quoted it.

Alberon

This from the Guardian

QuoteIt would be tempting to point out how this is a bit like Brian McFadden splitting from his own solo career after leaving Westlife. Or take cheap shots about how they're so crap that they've rehabilitated the Lib Dems, like a political version of a frat-boy wingman deliberately making themselves look rubbish in order to let Vince Cable look "bang-worthy". Or mock the fact that the new party is now called – and I'm not even remotely kidding, Continuity Change UK – like a kids' rock band thinking it's cool to name themselves Hot Ice.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/05/change-uk-name-splitters-splitting-up

The Financial Times

QuoteThe remaining five MPs will continue as Continuity Change UK led by Anna Soubry, the former Conservative minister.

https://www.ft.com/content/a408cc38-86dc-11e9-a028-86cea8523dc2

I know it sounds ridiculously unlikely even in this day and age of insane politics. But it's real. Even though their own website doesn't mention it.

dr beat

CCUK then, a bit like that Saturday morning show that was on after Wonky Donkey.

EOLAN

Chris Leslie on the Guardian podcast. Complaining about how it is so difficult for a new party to make an impact with things stacked against them by the big two parties. Interviewer never asked the obvious question of how Brexit Party were able to make such an impact.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: EOLAN on June 06, 2019, 11:55:31 PM
Chris Leslie on the Guardian podcast. Complaining about how it is so difficult for a new party to make an impact with things stacked against them by the big two parties. Interviewer never asked the obvious question of how Brexit Party were able to make such an impact.

what a FUCKING BABY CUNT, WANKER GET TO 9-5 JOB TWAT

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: EOLAN on June 06, 2019, 11:55:31 PM

Reason number 4573 to not bother with anything the Guardian does.

pcsjwgm

Putting 'continuity' and 'change' together is something that then-Prime Minister of Australia Malcolm Turnbull was already mocked for.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/mar/23/malcolm-turnbulls-continuity-and-change-slogan-straight-out-of-veep

greencalx

There was me thinking this Continuity Change business was a CaB wind-up but it turns out it's real.

jobotic

I assumed that Continuity Change UK was the armed wing of Change UK, that wouldn't accept the peace process Euro Election results.

canadagoose

Quote from: jobotic on June 08, 2019, 09:28:43 AM
I assumed that Continuity Change UK was the armed wing of Change UK, that wouldn't accept the peace process Euro Election results.
If Tinge had an armed wing it would just shoot itself in the foot. Repeatedly.

BlodwynPig

Tinge MP has left, so tinge cannot be used anymore

greencalx

Tinge is not a time of life, it is a state of mind.

kalowski

Quote from: jobotic on June 08, 2019, 09:28:43 AM
Mike Gapes "made to inhale helium" before speaking to press.

BlodwynPig

idunnosomename

Gapes trolls himself by inflating himself with lighter than air gas and floating across London in his underpants

Alberon

Anna Soubry hits out at the splitters.

Quote"These things are always difficult, but some people weren't even in the same book, never mind on the same page," she said. "It's not to say they didn't have huge strengths. But when there are 11 of you, you sometimes have to shut up and get on with it.

"And the idea that you can agree a strategy and then constantly question it, debate it – sometimes you have to say, can we just stop talking and do some frigging campaigning?"

Soubry said she was particularly stricken by Umunna's decision. "I will always be more sad than you can imagine that Chuka is not with us. I think he's a man of huge ability and talents, and I think he has made a very serious mistake.

"With the five of us, who knows what's going to happen? But you can't give up at the first hurdle. You just don't. Especially when some of that was circumstances over which you had no control. But when there are circumstances over which you do have control you do not behave in the way that, I'm afraid, some of those six did behave."

The split was clear, Soubry said, when Umunna told her he did not think Change UK should continue as a formal party.

"I said to him: the movement's out there, we just need to build a home for that movement, a political party. When he decided that he believed we should not stand candidates I was beyond even disappointed," she said.

"I believed in him, and believed he should be prime minister of our country. He was a major part of why I left the Conservative party. And here we were, having had a very difficult time, and obviously a disappointing set of election results.

"But hell, 600,000 people voted for us, and we'd found 69 candidates, many of whom have got more ability in their little fingers than some MPs across the whole of the chamber. Some seriously brilliant people."

The five remaining MPs were "absolutely on the same page", she said. "We've got decades of experience between us. We're now going to turn our attention on building a membership-based party, and of equal importance we've already started the work on formulating policies. That's already begun."

We found almost 70 people willing to stand in our name. A ringing endorsement there!

QuoteBut insiders say the disagreements were even more heated behind closed doors, punctuated by differences over leadership arrangements, threats to quit the party and lack of agreement over even the basics of the party's future direction.

Some of the reported disputes bordered on farce, such as the party almost missing a print deadline for its European election leaflets because one MP wanted a different photograph, and official social media feeds being stopped at the instructions of one member, and then tacitly resumed by another.

Meanwhile, sources amid those who quit argue that Soubry and Leslie – whose spouses are respectively treasurer and chief executive of the party – sought to run Change UK "like a Soviet state".

Still, now the dissidents have purged themselves everything is going to be great!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/09/anna-soubry-umunna-made-serious-mistake-leaving-change-uk

NoSleep

Quote from: Anne Soubry"But hell, 600,000 people voted for us, and we'd found 69 candidates, many of whom have got more ability in their little fingers than some MPs across the whole of the chamber."

So that's why Joan Ryan was getting them to look at their hands.

machotrouts

Quote from: Alberon on June 09, 2019, 09:31:11 AMThe five remaining MPs were "absolutely on the same page", she said. "We've got decades of experience between us. We're now going to turn our attention on building a membership-based party, and of equal importance we've already started the work on formulating policies. That's already begun."

Oh shit! Policies! Already! These guys mean business!

Fambo Number Mive

Rumours that Chuka will stand for the Lib Dems at the next election

Matt Thomas tweets

QuoteChuka Umunna, who claimed traditional political parties were broken, will join the LibDems, who's original concept was formed 160 years ago

Tim Farron tweets

QuoteThis would be good early signing in the transfer window

Pingers

Umunna is like someone at the supermarket checkouts, constantly changing lanes in the hope of getting himself a 1.02 minute advantage.

peanutbutter

Is there a chance of him getting reelected if he runs as a Lib Dem?

greencalx

Depends on constituency I think.

There was something in a recent Private Eye about him having bought a house in a different constituency because he knew there was no chance of being reselected/re-elected in his current one. Could just be tittle-tattle though.

dr beat

Twitter rumours suggest Umunna might be parachuted  into Vince Cable's Twickenham seat presumably after the latter retires.  Also rumours that Sarah Wollaston and Heidi Allen might join the LDs too.

Jockice

Soubry believed Umunna should be Prime Minister of the country? For fuck's sake.  There really is nothing else I can think to say about that.