Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:25:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tinge UK - New Centrist Party [split topic]

Started by jobotic, March 29, 2019, 11:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Sounds like the Brexit party is killing the Cons worse than the Tinge is hurting Labour. AT THE MOMENT.

NoSleep

This FT breakdown (behind paywall after one view) shows Tinge getting 3 seats, with Labour getting the largest number of seats - 22; Tories 13, Brexit 12, UKIP 6, LibDems 6, Greens 5, SNP/PC 3

https://ig.ft.com/european-parliament-election-polls/

greencalx

The projection I saw was based off a YouGov poll, but wasn't a professional one.

Phil_A

Oh dear oh dear.

https://www.ft.com/content/0b07867c-6059-11e9-a27a-fdd51850994c

Efforts to forge anti-Brexit electoral alliance fail

Efforts to create a unified anti-Brexit slate of candidates for next month's European Parliament elections have fallen apart owing to UK poll rules and party rivalries, damping the long-term prospects for a centrist alliance.

It means that voters in England will have to choose between at least three parties that are backing a second Brexit referendum: the Liberal Democrats, the Greens and newcomer Change UK. Labour has also held out the possibility of supporting another plebiscite, without making an explicit commitment.

Voters in Scotland and Wales will also have the option of the Scottish National party and Plaid Cymru respectively, both of which have backed another referendum.

Elections to the European Parliament, which will take place on May 23 in the UK unless parliament ratifies Theresa May's withdrawal agreement beforehand, are being widely seen as a proxy for a new vote on whether to leave the EU.

The elections in England, Scotland and Wales involve a proportional voting system dubbed the regional closed list. People cast their votes for the party they wish to support in regions.

Vince Cable, the Lib Dem leader, had wanted an electoral alliance between his party and Change UK, which was formed by former Labour and Conservative MPs. He said in March it would be "very damaging for both sides" to be competing for votes.

However, the Lib Dems and Change UK, previously known as the Independent Group, have been unable to reach an agreement.

Under UK election rules, candidates from different parties cannot join together in a single anti-Brexit list.

One proposal examined by the Lib Dems and Change UK was for the two parties, and the Greens, to form an anti-Brexit shell vehicle, specifically for the European elections, but the idea foundered.

A senior Lib Dem figure said Change UK "weren't interested" in an alliance, and wanted to use the elections "to try out their own brand".

A Change UK MP denied this, and said that the problem was time — the proposed new anti-Brexit shell vehicle would have required paperwork filed with the elections regulator several weeks ago, "when people didn't know the European elections were happening".

An alternative plan — for the Lib Dems and Change UK to stand aside for one another in different electoral regions — also failed.

The Independent Group on Monday completed its registration as a political party, with the name Change UK.

However, it will have no logo on ballot papers for the European elections after the Electoral Commission ruled that its proposed emblem — featuring the letters TIG and #change on a black background — was "likely to mislead voters".

The watchdog judged that the initials TIG were not sufficiently well known, while internet search results associated with #change could fluctuate dramatically in future.

Critics of Change UK have questioned its strategy, arguing that its name is amorphous and that it has failed to build momentum since 11 MPs left Labour and the Conservatives to form the Independent Group in February and March.

But Change UK, whose interim leader is Heidi Allen, said that 3,700 people had applied in less than a week to stand as its candidates in the European elections.

The Change UK MP talked down the prospect of any future alliance with the Lib Dems — saying Sir Vince's party had a "tarnished" brand, "never really confronted their demons" over participation in the 2010-15 coalition government with the Tories, and "are not going to be the future of the centre ground".

The Greens, who won more seats than the Lib Dems in the 2014 European elections, rejected the possibility of a unified slate of anti-Brexit candidates.

The party said it would "resist any calls for us to stand alongside parties with whom we have fundamental ideological differences on austerity, economic policy and beyond".

NoSleep

What is the voting system in place for European elections in the UK? I know it has to be some form of PR but does it allow you to select more than one candidate?

greencalx

Single vote d'hondt System I think. You vote for a list (ie a party) and then the top n candidates on each list get elected. There's a nice explanation of how n is worked out on Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%27Hondt_method - I'd only seen it described as an iterative process before, which is much harder than the table version presented there. The basic idea of the method is that it tries to figure out how many votes are needed to win each seat, and then divide the number of votes per party by that figure and do some rounding to get n. Apparently there is a slight bias towards larger parties in the rounding.

Anyway there's a number of threads now discussion the euros - shall we unify them into a single thread?

greencalx

Good grief, these people are delusion. Claim of an "exodus" from Labour to Tinge, just because a few hundred ex-Labour supporters applied to stand as MEPs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/20/change-uk-independent-group-natural-home-remain-alliance

There doesn't seem to be any sign of that being mirrored in the polls. This really is a party for the London media classes.

canadagoose

Quote from: greencalx on April 20, 2019, 05:27:43 PM
This really is a party for the London media classes.
You're not wrong. Tinge UK really do seem to live in their own weird bubble. I keep thinking of that stupid photo shoot they did on those stairs where they're all acting like socialite prats and I just think, that's the epitome of bourgeois dreck, isn't it?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThere doesn't seem to be any sign of that being mirrored in the polls. This really is a party for the London media classes

Irrelevant. The goal is to hurt Labour and force them to abandon Corbynism.

NoSleep

Looks like they will hurt the Tories, at least a much if not more than Labour, appealing only to the Nuneaton swing voter types (that Labour previously wrecked itself trying to appeal to).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: NoSleep on April 20, 2019, 06:44:27 PM
Looks like they will hurt the Tories, at least a much if not more than Labour, appealing only to the Nuneaton swing voter types (that Labour previously wrecked itself trying to appeal to).

Oh fuck yes, I mean, I didn't say they were good at it.

dr beat

The Wikipedia page for UK opinion polls abbreviates them as CHUK-TIG which sounds rather like Chuck Tingle, the author of many butt-pounding novels.

Flouncer

Fambo Number Mive

Aside from Britain's plans to leave the UK, what do Change UK want to change about the UK? Perhaps they think New Labour didn't go far enough or something. I find the idea of these people getting any kind of power concerning.

greencalx

I just tried googling "Change UK" to try and find an answer to this question.

Nothing on the first page of hits directs you to any party proposition. And instead I get this rather wonderful piece of PR in the top 3: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/18/change-uk-internet-politics-european-elections-party-logo

TIG are pratfalling from embarrassment to gaffe because they have an almost completely shallow understanding of what politics actually is. It is not simply that they lack a guiding philosophy or an organising principle beyond their own careerism, but that they view people who do have one as suspicious and incomprehensible. They want to be seen as radicals but they have the same relationship to genuine political activism that talking English loudly and slowly does to speaking a foreign language. They're operating far beyond their competence, but they still think the reason they're not being understood is that everyone else is an idiot.

pancreas

idunnosomename

Anna Soubry seems to have gone from The One Good Tory to a complete non-entity so yeah that was a great move. Happy Christmas everyone.

jobotic

You mustn't say that about lovely Anna. Like all remainers I see her as my David Copperfield, second only to my one true Alan Partridge, Dominic Greive.

canadagoose

Has anyone seen their website recently? Seems like a rebrand coming up tomorrow (well, today, technically):

Ferris

Quote from: canadagoose on April 23, 2019, 12:36:22 AM
Has anyone seen their website recently? Seems like a rebrand coming up tomorrow (well, today, technically):

I bet it's something massive and revolutionary like groundbreaking policies that challenge the status quo an app to make donations via direct debit, or a choose-your-own-adventure manifesto.

Twed

It looks like the Mueller Report

"Here are our core beliefs

*REDACTED*"

greencalx

Fambo Number Mive

Maybe it's one massive prank.

Or all their policies will be written in code and there will be a competition to find it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

How will the launch be any different from "It's the Lib Dems with more war and stronger benefit sanctions!"

Fambo Number Mive

Chuka is now calling the party "Change UK-TIG"

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 23, 2019, 09:04:35 AM
How will the launch be any different from "It's the Lib Dems with more war and stronger benefit sanctions!"

Or "New Labour, but with a higher percentage of former Tories and no leftwing backbenchers".

olliebean

It's 23 April, I've checked back, and I'm none the wiser.

Also their website doesn't show up in the first five pages of Google for "Change UK", so they're obviously brilliant at internet stuff.

Cuellar

Could they have chosen a less googleable name, I wonder.

hedgehog90

Cuellar

Had to go to the Independent Group wikipedia page to find their stupid website which is just a placeholder for now. Utterly useless.