Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:29:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tinge UK - New Centrist Party [split topic]

Started by jobotic, March 29, 2019, 11:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnquark

Ferris

Tribune, the Staggers, and the Morning Star are hardly broadly circulated daily newspapers though. That was my point. The Morning Star would be the closest I suppose, but a circulation of ~10,000 vs 140,000 for the ailing Graun (which as shifted focus to online stuff anyway).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Leo2112 on May 17, 2019, 03:17:14 PM
Having a tantrum since everyone's laughing at her https://twitter.com/joanryanEnfield/status/1129164323090255872

This is fucking disgusting, might as well biro in a haircut and Hitler tash.

There is antisemitism in labour, but this makes a fucking mockery of it.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 17, 2019, 09:16:30 PM
There is antisemitism in labour, but this makes a fucking mockery of it.

I don't want to minimize any anti semitism anywhere but... is there a problem in the Labour Party? The only L activists I know are both Jewish. I've never heard anti semitic stuff when I was going to PLP meetings (albeit a long time ago when I lived in the UK).

I heard anti Israeli sentiment and pro Palestinian stuff, but that's not the same

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That's revolting. Don't even give that piece of shit the pleasure.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 17, 2019, 09:44:42 PM
I don't want to minimize any anti semitism anywhere but... is there a problem in the Labour Party? The only L activists I know are both Jewish. I've never heard anti semitic stuff when I was going to PLP meetings (albeit a long time ago when I lived in the UK).

I heard anti Israeli sentiment and pro Palestinian stuff, but that's not the same

People reckon there is. Another forum I go on has a thread dedicated to it, that I think is verging on pearl clutching. Although there are some valid points in there. I don't want to drop the link out here but I might pm you it. An outside view would be interesting tbh.

Zetetic

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/iain-dale/john-mcdonnell-rebukes-labour-anti-semitism-smears/

The order appears to be, over the course of the last year very roughly, hundreds of complaints, about a hundred suspensions, and tens of expulsions*.

(* Someone could reasonably quibble with the last of these. Labour reported 12 expulsions in a 10 month period prior to February 2019. I hedge my summary because I don't know if there's a resolution and reporting lag involved.)

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 17, 2019, 11:34:59 PM
People reckon there is. Another forum I go on has a thread dedicated to it, that I think is verging on pearl clutching. Although there are some valid points in there. I don't want to drop the link out here but I might pm you it. An outside view would be interesting tbh.

Yeah PM it over, I'd be interested to have a look.

Part of me thinks that it is stoked deliberately, and it's impossible for the Labour Party to prove a negative. You're always going to find intolerant shitheads in any organization - you amplify whatever bollocks they come out with and that's that.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 17, 2019, 11:34:59 PM

There is no institutional antisemitism in the Labour Party. Handy fact there for you all.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on May 17, 2019, 11:42:45 PM
https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/iain-dale/john-mcdonnell-rebukes-labour-anti-semitism-smears/

The order appears to be, over the course of the last year very roughly, hundreds of complaints, about a hundred suspensions, and tens of expulsions*.

(* Someone could reasonably quibble with the last of these. Labour reported 12 expulsions in a 10 month period prior to February 2019. I hedge my summary because I don't know if there's a resolution and reporting lag involved.)

oooh quiver lips. Its a drop in a meaningless ocean. Statistical noise amplified by the war drum of impish opprobrium.

greencalx

There's a piece in the current Eye about the party's submission to the EHRC investigation. The take home is "this doesn't look good for Corbyn" but there was something about it that didn't smell right to me. I guess we'll have to wait until the commission reports to see if there's any truth in it.

jobotic

I've seen a couple of comments on local Facebook Labour groups but very rarely and they've been called out. Never heard an AS from Corbyn though, and neither has Joan Ryan.

Criticism of Israel murdering Palestinians is AS in her book, and it must be silenced.

idunnosomename

Reminder Joan Ryan is about the thickest conspirer in political treason going

https://twitter.com/muqadaam/status/1037802789668364288?lang=en

How is she still chair of Labour Friends of Israel when she's not in Labour anymore
https://www.lfi.org.uk/in-parliament/

The trouble with that video is that nobody at any point suggests that the money is to be passed to Ryan. It's just a video of some guy saying his budget has been approved. Which is presumably why they were happy to do it in public in front of an undercover reporter, and also why she never faced any consequences.

This is why we keep getting into trouble. People are making poorly evidenced claims that the Jews are secretly controlling our politicians without realising how bad it looks.

Don't get me wrong, Ryan is a cunt of the first order, the Israeli government are a bunch of fuckers and
LFI are clearly out to undermine the left. We just need to stop spreading ridiculous accusations that don't stand up.

kalowski

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 17, 2019, 09:16:30 PM

Utter cuntery of this. She is a fucking Member of Parliament, whether she likes it or not. This is no way to behave, utterly disgusting libel. I'd like to hear Heidi Allen's or Chucka's views on this.

Jockice

Quote from: big bottomed anarchist on May 18, 2019, 09:34:03 AM
The trouble with that video is that nobody at any point suggests that the money is to be passed to Ryan. It's just a video of some guy saying his budget has been approved. Which is presumably why they were happy to do it in public in front of an undercover reporter, and also why she never faced any consequences.

This is why we keep getting into trouble. People are making poorly evidenced claims that the Jews are secretly controlling our politicians without realising how bad it looks.

Don't get me wrong, Ryan is a cunt of the first order, the Israeli government are a bunch of fuckers and
LFI are clearly out to undermine the left. We just need to stop spreading ridiculous accusations that don't stand up.

So do we pretend it doesn't exist then? Just like Ryan does.

Sebastian Cobb

Whilst it's an antisemetic trope to say Jews are secretly controlling our politicians (implying vast swathes of them), I don't think it's unacceptable to say that the MP's that make up Friends of Isreal are part of a pro-isreal lobbying group. That's literally their job as members. I also don't think it's a reach that money has been changing hands between Isreal and those specific politicians.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 18, 2019, 11:04:42 AM
Whilst it's an antisemetic trope to say Jews are secretly controlling our politicians (implying vast swathes of them), I don't think it's unacceptable to say that the MP's that make up Friends of Isreal are part of a pro-isreal lobbying group. That's literally their job as members. I also don't think it's a reach that money has been changing hands between Isreal and those specific politicians.

I have no problem with this statement and would agree with it. It's a far weaker claim than the one made by that tweet though.

Johnny Yesno

As I understand it, the video isn't being used to accuse her of benefiting personally from the money. It's showing that the Israeli government was providing funding for the resources to influence the party's policies. It's straightforward lobbying of the kind that wealthy donors indulge in routinely, really, and that's why they'll discuss it openly. It's a terrible look for Ryan, though, as Labour is now primarily funded by its large membership and somewhat sheltered from the frequently unpalatable ideologies of wealthy donors.

Edit: addressed above while I was typing this.

greencalx

Yay - just had their leaflet through the door. Somehow they've managed to crop their logo so the top and bottom bars are narrower than the other two. The name of the party is also in the smallest font on the page.

NoSleep

Fambo Number Mive

Chuka answers people's questions: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-48316012/bbcaskthis-ben-brown-speaks-to-chuka-umunna

Rachel Johnson is not happy with Change UK:

QuoteChange UK has a bad name, a confused leadership structure and should have made a pact with other Remain parties, one of its leading candidates in the European elections next week has said.

Rachel Johnson, 53, who is top of the new party's list in southwest England, criticised the party's strategy in an interview with The Times. "Change UK is a terrible name," she said. "They want to focus-group everything and they have a leadership team of about 11 people.

"If I were running it we would have one leader and a different name and we would have done a deal with all the other Remain parties. Then we would be able to give the Brexit Party a fight."...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rachel-johnson-has-sinking-feeling-at-change-uk-svs7c20zh

BlodwynPig

"we're talking to all the MAIN parties..."

TINGE - MAIN??

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 18, 2019, 07:17:30 PM

TINGE - MAIN??

No, it's a tacit understanding they are nothing of the sort. Like saying you'll talk to the cool kids at school - it means you aren't one. Not that I'd know.

olliebean

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 18, 2019, 07:09:12 PMRachel Johnson is not happy with Change UK:

QuoteRachel Johnson, 53, who is top of the new party's list in southwest England, criticised the party's strategy in an interview with The Times. "Change UK is a terrible name," she said. "They want to focus-group everything and they have a leadership team of about 11 people.

Far be it from me to suggest she ought to have done the slightest modicum of research before joining the party, but I haven't been paying particular attention to them and yet I somehow knew this was exactly what they'd be like.

imitationleather

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 18, 2019, 07:17:30 PM

TINGE - MAIN??

Enough of that attitude. They are polling one whole percent.

Fambo Number Mive

Chuka shitting all over the party which got him elected as an MP in 2010, 2015 and 2017: https://twitter.com/ChukaUmunna/status/1129314768827895810

NoSleep

He's unable even to take a decent shit. The ES article linked says Labour rejected the Tory proposal.

Tinge would poll better if they did less.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't reckon we should think too much about who is best at shitting, lest we end up with Eric Pickles or Prescott as pm. On the whole it's not a good metric.

idunnosomename

inevitably we're all going to be sucked into the gravitational pull of mike gapes' anus so why fight it