Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:46:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gout thread 2: Son of gout thread

Started by wooders1978, March 29, 2019, 06:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooders1978

Anyone had this in the elbow yet?
Bloody game changer, never known pain like it, even gout in the foot and ankle pails in significance - I need to get to the bottom of my gout and cut it out - the evidence is overwhelmingly pointing toward alchohol though alas

Twed

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 29, 2019, 06:30:40 PM
the evidence is overwhelmingly pointing toward alchohol though alas
"though a lass has been feeding me a lot of offal"

Ray Travez

Not had it in my elbow. Had it in my toe, and still get recurrences every so often. In my case, the cause was alcohol. Alcohol coupled with a poor diet, although to be honest, the alcohol was the poor diet.

shiftwork2

It's all that high living wooders.  Never heard of it in the elbow though, fuckenell.

wooders1978

Quote from: Ray Travez on March 29, 2019, 06:53:53 PM
Not had it in my elbow. Had it in my toe, and still get recurrences every so often. In my case, the cause was alcohol. Alcohol coupled with a poor diet, although to be honest, the alcohol was the poor diet.

I'm definitely guilty of bad diet in 2019 - way more bread and carbs than usual due to pure laziness about getting a sarnie or 2 for lunch and not having anywhere near enough fruit and veg

Are you on any medication? I haven't had any trouble in the four years I've been on Allopurinol to control uric acid levels in my blood. Before that I'd have excruciatingly painful episodes lasting for days or even weeks.

Oh, and I was told to avoid, among other things, beer, red wine and Marmite. I still drink beer and eat Marmite.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sure it's not tennis elbow? I got tendonitis for a while, partly due to my seating position at work. Absolute agony to even straighten my arm. Funnily enough it went away during playing tennis though (not even joking).

I haven't had gout so can't say I can compare, but the sensation with tendinitis is that your joint is seized up and sore.

wooders1978

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 29, 2019, 07:09:12 PM
Sure it's not tennis elbow? I got tendonitis for a while, partly due to my seating position at work. Absolute agony to even straighten my arm. Funnily enough it went away during playing tennis though (not even joking).

I haven't had gout so can't say I can compare, but the sensation with tendinitis is that your joint is seized up and sore.

It's fairly recognisably gout unfortunately

I'm not on allopurinol though I have asked my doctor about it, she's reluctant to put me on it for some reason, she just says to shove naproxen down my throat (crap btw, absolutely useless in a bad attack)

Harry Badger

Cherry juice works for me, though you tend to only be able to get it in the bigger supermarkets. Had an attack last year that rendered me almost immobile, but after drinking two litres of the stuff plus a load of water, I was able to play in a cricket match that evening. Also cherry extract tablets, which are not massively expensive, help as a daily supplement.

The last flare-up lasted for a month, was agonisingly painful and essentially left me bed-ridden. No medication would take the edge off the pain so I had to go to A&E. Driving was out of the question and I couldn't even walk to get into a taxi so paramedics had to carry me down the stairs and cart me off in an ambulance. I'd never been in hospital before but was kept in for two nights, had scans, blood tests, etc. Finally prescribed Allopurinol and, apart from a couple of minor blips early on, I've never had a problem in the four years since so it's been a god-send to me. I don't know your circumstances but it might be worth asking your doc again about it.

wooders1978

Quote from: gout_pony on March 29, 2019, 07:34:05 PM
Sorry to read that, despite my name

Well gout is pony mate (as in the cockney rhyming slang pony and trap)

Fucking heck voltan that is one harrowing tale - after this I'm definitely making a new case for allopurinol

wooders1978

Quote from: Harry Badger on March 29, 2019, 07:34:57 PM
Cherry juice works for me, though you tend to only be able to get it in the bigger supermarkets. Had an attack last year that rendered me almost immobile, but after drinking two litres of the stuff plus a load of water, I was able to play in a cricket match that evening. Also cherry extract tablets, which are not massively expensive, help as a daily supplement.

I'd been taking supplements for a while but hadn't had gout so "why bother?" - I'm one of these "fucking idiots"  you hear about, see

Twit 2

When's the last time you really used your elbow? They're ok for a jabbing, but an umbrella will do the job. You might miss coyly resting your chin in your palm, but you can just roll about on the floor grunting instead. Elbows are the first luxuries to go in a war, famine or clear-out. When you really think about it, your desire for smooth and painless elbows is a symptom of manic entitlement. Cut them out, literally and metaphorically. I'll have the literals, will feed them to my Guineas.

biggytitbo

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 29, 2019, 06:54:09 PM
It's all that high living wooders.  Never heard of it in the elbow though, fuckenell.

Exactly, its too much high living. I recommend a trip to the mountains.

Gregory Torso

EDIT: Actually disregard that, I forgot I was in the company of w(ell) ol(d) (fucks)ves.

bigfatheart

I had an attack of it three years or so ago. I initially cut out loads of stuff that I read was bad for it - beer, fish, red meat, etc - and have gradually reintroduced them without any problems. The only change I've kept up is that I avoid all stock except vegetable stock. Seems to work for me.

Of course, now I've said it, base of big toe RED SOON

littlenell

Ive had a few bouts of gout, they have always manifested as a burning stabbing fucker in my right big toe. Ive also experienced tennis elbow, which is bursitis for those of you who passed your 11 plus. Inflammed bursa's, when you put weight onto the point of your elbow, will mimic the same stabbing, burning intense muthafucking pain as gout, but actually it is slightly more raw edged. Of course it is immediately remedied by taking the weight off the elbow, whereas gout is not so fast to recede.

Should there ever be a top trumps of common illnesses and complaints, I think gout would nail bursitis on aggregate.
Gout and bursitis, both in the elbow? Yowch, worse than labour with toothache.
Gout and nail bursitis? Ridiculous, couldnt happen.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 29, 2019, 07:16:39 PM
shove naproxen down my throat (crap btw, absolutely useless in a bad attack)

Naproxen is shit.
I'm prescribed it at the moment for a busted shoulder, two of my colleagues have recently been given it for serious knee and neck aches, and the three of us are in agreement that it does fuck all.

When something supposedly palliative comes with an automatic second prescription to counter the acid reflux it's got to be suspect. I binned it off in favour of a nightly chong on a shoddy market-stall bong, but I'm not matey enough with either colleague to know whether they'll join me inhaling Shiva's wisdom or dob me in with Babylon.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on April 01, 2019, 11:28:38 PMNaproxen is shit.

They don't want to prescribe you Diclofenac which is infinitely more effective than that Naproxen shit. That's because it is more expensive, but they pretend it's because it causes heart problems or asthma which is scientifically proven to be BOLLIOCKS. Make them prescribe you Diclofenac - say this stuff is not working but I had diclofenac once before and that sorted me right out.

Dangers? Yeah, no problem, worth the risk because this pain is reekin.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 02, 2019, 12:08:01 AM
They don't want to prescribe you Diclofenac which is infinitely more effective than that Naproxen shit.

There's diclofenac in the goo that I rub on the outside of my failing body, so I guess doubling up is a bad idea - like washing your paracetamol down with a nice cup of Lemsip. Got some Oramorph yesterday, so I'll probably do a Roseanne and blame any bad behaviour over the next year on THE PILLS.

Sorry - back to the gout, or rickets or scurvy or whatever Living History the thread was originally about.

EOLAN

Just have the foot gout myself. Around the time I saw a portrayal of gout in Ripper Street where the red-haired sergeant has it, gets his foot tramped on later and yells out in pain. For me the best natural way of relieving the pain was to stamp hard down with my other foot on my stiffened infected one.
Nothing in the elbows yet. But do use it as an excuse to wear runners around work.
Oh and I think the pain in my ass (coccyx) last year was far worse than the level of gout I had previous. Did get to make a lot of people uncomfortable who kindly offered me or pointed me into directions of available seats and I was all no effing way I am I sitting down.

wooders1978

Right call sorted with the doctor to go on the allopurinol- I've got enough damaged ligaments in various appendages due to gout (left ankle is worst) I'm actually seriously worried this might cripple me later in life with permanent knackered joints - fuck that mate

Ian Drunken Smurf

Had it in big toes and finger joints. Allopurinol every day for the last two years.

Sebastian Cobb

I thought I had gout once, I was drinking a lot at the time, but I think it might've been due to drinking a lot and jumping around at a ska night.

Quote from: littlenell on April 01, 2019, 11:09:54 PM
Ive also experienced tennis elbow, which is bursitis

No, tennis elbow is something different. The medical term for it is lateral epicondylitis and as someone who has suffered from it, it is indeed a cunt but nowhere near the pain and discomfort of either bursitis or gout. I've had it in both arms for 18 months now and I'm fucking sick of it. I don't even like tennis!

Quote from: wooders1978 on April 02, 2019, 06:30:50 PM
Right call sorted with the doctor to go on the allopurinol- I've got enough damaged ligaments in various appendages due to gout (left ankle is worst) I'm actually seriously worried this might cripple me later in life with permanent knackered joints - fuck that mate

I hope the allopurinol works for you like it appears to have done for me. No episodes for nearly four years now whereas I was probably averaging two a year over the previous decade. I just need to get the scabies, ague and dropsy sorted now.

wooders1978

Thanks Voltan (and to all who have joined in the fun of this thread) - I think I'm at about 4 per year at the moment, not great, usually in the toe but ankles and knee and now elbow have come along, gotta go on it - must say pretty much everyone says it does wonders, not sure I've heard anyone say it doesn't work

littlenell

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on April 02, 2019, 07:55:52 PM
No, tennis elbow is something different. The medical term for it is lateral epicondylitis and as someone who has suffered from it, it is indeed a cunt but nowhere near the pain and discomfort of either bursitis or gout. I've had it in both arms for 18 months now and I'm fucking sick of it. I don't even like tennis!

Thanks, I am happy to be corrected here. Having been told by my senior physiotherapist that tennis elbow = bursitis, I was compelled to check the facts. And yes, Ive learned the truth and the truth is (as you said) that bursitis does not = tennis elbow. I was right about one thing though, my senior physiotherapist sometimes (at least) has difficulty with listening and also with being a gobshite, and a cunt.

Im sorry to hear of your painful, long term struggle with two tennis elbows. I cant help thinking that your dislike of tennis is the root cause. Do you like barley water? the colour white? Pimms? What about the band Elbow? These are rhetorical questions obviously.