Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,472
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:21:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Telltale's Walking Dead limps to its end

Started by Rev+, March 30, 2019, 12:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

wooders1978

I generally liked them, but didn't bother with that last one - telltale definitely should have been more honest about how much you can affect the outcome with your choices, they did rather imply you could end up with completely different stories but in truth one character being alive over an other was about as diverse it got
I also got really pissed off when I had to wait for ages for the rest of the game I'd already paid for because they were busy with all their other (eventually failed) projects

Moribunderast

I've just played the final season over the past week or so. Really enjoyed it. Yes, it's essentially an interactive TV show as opposed to a game (and the "gameplay" bits in this were shittier than I remember previous TWD games being) but I liked the writing and was invested in the characters, particularly Clem, who is brought to life with one of the best vocal performances in all of gaming, surely. I thought the individual episodes moved at a good pace and the decisions usually kept an illusion of importance even though we all know by now it's mostly an illusion.

Definitely a bittersweet experience knowing how the employees were treated but I'm glad I followed the story to it's conclusion - thought it was well done, though I could see why some would want something different from the ending. I remember back in Season 1 a friend of mine described the game as a Social Anxiety Simulator, what with it's short time-spans to choose what to say/how to react in a certain moment. I definitely got that from this final season, when it really pushes that the things you say and do will shape how AJ views the world and acts in it. Thought that was very well done. The final episode, also, I have to commend for feeling quite relentless at parts - really hammering home the danger element and playing with your emotions, knowing that, as a finale, it can kill anyone at any time.

So, yeah, I know these games aren't for everyone (I myself would have loved puzzles but quickly understood that wasn't what this series was about) but I really enjoyed it and I'm glad it got a satisfying conclusion. Would've been a shame if some Telltale CEO's fuckwittedness had led to the story remaining unfinished.

Timothy

Mori I quit at season 3. Worth starting there again for the end?

Moribunderast

I guess it depends how invested you are in seeing Clem's story reach a conclusion. I was very invested in the character and thought the companion/parental relationship with AJ was compelling but mileage may vary. I think season 3 is a bit nothingy - I certainly remembered very little of it when going through the wiki trying to get context for a story beat that occurs in season 4. But then on the flip side I found season 4 very good so it might be worth getting through 3 in order to reach it.

At the very least, you know exactly what you'll be getting gameplay-wise so it's down to how much you want to finish the story.