Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:58:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Truth About Jim Jefferies

Started by sponk, March 30, 2019, 07:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sponk

Recently the Jim Jefferies show broadcast a segment with some right wing Australian / Israeli YouTuber called Avi Yemini. Yemini later posted this hidden camera footage to expose the supposedly deceptive editing techniques the show used to make him look extremely Islamophobic, which isn't fair because he's only very Islamophobic. The expose seems to be gathering steam - it has more than triple the views of the original CC segment on YouTube - and Yemini is obviously milking it death

Personally I think it's been overhyped and the editing wasn't really that dishonest, but watching it lead me on to this longish YouTube polemic (yolemic?) about Jefferies. I've got to say it's the most convincing takedown of any comedian I've ever seen. How Jefferies has pulled of this metamorphosis from racist, misogynistic sex pest to liberal media darling is beyond me.

I doubt there are many Jefferies fans here but the Truth About video is fascinating and I think everyone should watch it.

up_the_hampipe

It's certainly a sharp shift in character, but he explains it quite reasonably in the first minute of that video, and they cut it with some bullshit clip from The Idiot Man's Thinker Joe Rogan that's barely relevant. It's another one of these bitter right wing conspiracy type videos that try to suggest there's something more sinister than Jim Jefferies looking at the state of society and realising that maybe he needs to grow up a bit.

It's an unfortunate thing for comedians like him that he attracted an audience that took a lot of his jokes at face value.

sponk

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 30, 2019, 07:50:45 PM
It's certainly a sharp shift in character, but he explains it quite reasonably in the first minute of that video

See, my interpretation was quite the opposite. I thought he saw an opportunity to earn a lot of money and he jumped on it with that bullshit excuse about Trump's election waking him up to the problem of sexual harassment.

Quoteand they cut it with some bullshit clip from The Idiot Man's Thinker Joe Rogan that's barely relevant.

I wish they hadn't done that because that was by far the worst thing in the video and I can imagine many people will turn it off because of it.

QuoteIt's an unfortunate thing for comedians like him that he attracted an audience that took a lot of his jokes at face value.

Who could know that a man who repeatedly threatens to rape an obviously uncomfortable woman, and brags about drugging and fucking teenaged girls on the Opie and Anthony show would attract such an audience.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: sponk on March 30, 2019, 07:57:08 PM
Who could know that a man who repeatedly threatens to rape an obviously uncomfortable woman, and brags about drugging and fucking teenaged girls on the Opie and Anthony show would attract such an audience.

As he said, he had hoped that people understood he was joking around when he was... joking around. You know, being a comedian and whatnot. But of course he has woken up to how a lot of these things are perceived by the wrong people, as evidenced by the defences people made over Trump's comments. Doesn't seem that outlandish of a concept to me, nor does there seem any real motive for someone like Jim Jefferies to be an opportunist in this political climate. He was hardly struggling for money, and he never really exhibited any serious right wing viewpoints.

sponk

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: sponk on March 30, 2019, 08:17:39 PM
Did you watch the full video?

Nope, did you listen to all of the clips in their full context?

sponk

So you called a video you haven't watched:

Quoteanother one of these bitter right wing conspiracy type videos that try to suggest there's something more sinister than Jim Jefferies looking at the state of society and realising that maybe he needs to grow up a bit.

But you're lecturing me about the importance of context?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: sponk on March 30, 2019, 08:44:21 PM
But you're lecturing me about the importance of context?

I'm not lecturing you about anything. I saw some of a video that twisted some clips out of context to make a flimsy point about "The Truth". I think context is a lot more important for them than me, if they're trying to convince me of anything.

gotmilk

This is rubbish. Jeffries grew out of shock comedy and decided to make more considered stuff - so fucking what?

The whole video is peppered with references to "social justice warriors" , "liberal propaganda", "immigrants scolding America" so it's pretty obvious that it's just a moronic right-wing smear piece. At one point the guy actually complains that a Jeffries sketch contained "2 women of colour".

I don't understand how anyone could find it convincing. The irony is that these sorts are the first to to defend offensive humour as meaningless jokes, but the moment a comedian moves beyond such material and starts condemning genuine bigotry they cry hypocrisy. So you thought the sexist and racist jokes were sincere after all then? No consistency to these cunts.

dirkgonnadirk

Quote from: sponk on March 30, 2019, 07:30:57 PMbut watching it lead me on to this longish YouTube polemic (yolemic?) about Jefferies. I've got to say it's the most convincing takedown of any comedian I've ever seen. How Jefferies has pulled of this metamorphosis from racist, misogynistic sex pest to liberal media darling is beyond me.

i pretty much knew what youtube channel that would be before i clicked it, because i had the misfortune of stumbling upon the amy schumer video on that site recently. god people spend a lot of time creating utter shit on the internet.

Quote from: sponk on March 30, 2019, 07:30:57 PM
How Jefferies has pulled of this metamorphosis from racist, misogynistic sex pest to liberal media darling is beyond me.

Louis CK temporarily did the same thing.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: gotmilk on March 30, 2019, 11:42:42 PM
This is rubbish. Jeffries grew out of shock comedy and decided to make more considered stuff - so fucking what?

The whole video is peppered with references to "social justice warriors" , "liberal propaganda", "immigrants scolding America" so it's pretty obvious that it's just a moronic right-wing smear piece. At one point the guy actually complains that a Jeffries sketch contained "2 women of colour".

I don't understand how anyone could find it convincing. The irony is that these sorts are the first to to defend offensive humour as meaningless jokes, but the moment a comedian moves beyond such material and starts condemning genuine bigotry they cry hypocrisy. So you thought the sexist and racist jokes were sincere after all then? No consistency to these cunts.

This.  The video is utter garbage.  He accuses Jefferies of "dehumanising" a guy by calling him a "supervillain" and is appalled by how his show handles an issue in a one-sided fashion.  Prior to this he plays clips of a drunken Jefferies offering to rape a woman without commenting and is not appalled by his own mention of Opey & Antony.  Straight after he plays a clip of Jefferies calling black people "rock apes" and the only critique is that maybe Jefferies "isn't the guy you'd choose to talk about racism". 

Guy presents 20 minutes of racism and misogyny and yet is most appalled by "supervillain", an unfair portrayal of a racist, and Jefferies being a "fraud".  Gave himself away at "joins the exclusive club of people making fun of Trump"

Large Noise

Hi I'm autismfascist1488 and welcome to my YouTube presentation about a comedian who appears to change his act for financial reasons

Sin Agog

There are a bunch of these right-wing home-made docs around at the moment.  Some Limey called porcelain was doing them, and marks said it was all 'truth' on account of his English accent.  It's like the internet generation equivalent of the time my aunt once said, '...but it's written plain as day in ink right here' in reference to some Margaret Thatcher hagiography, except this time it's readily available youtube clips slowed down with scary lean on the low notes of a keyboard music added.

j_u_d_a_s

As a general rule I avoid any video that claims to be the solid objective truth about anything because 99% of the time it turns out to be some frothing right winger spewing their shit opinions.

But this is a classic case of the faux concern that these far right shitheads display, co-opting the language of social justice in order to score cheap points. Always a hypocritical move and done purely for the purpose of distraction. It's not like Jim Jefferies is unique in showing progressive views after being a shock comic for so long, it's just the far right doesn't like it when a spotlight is shown on their cuntitude.

Ant Farm Keyboard

His sitcom, Legit, was already quite progressive. It wouldn't qualify as "woke", but the handling of people with physical or mental disorders was much more sensitive than anything in Derek, to make an easy comparison.