Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:35:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst acting from a famous actor

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, March 30, 2019, 11:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Sambob on March 31, 2019, 10:55:00 AM

Keanu Reeves in any film where he has to speak.

In the film Knock, Knock Keanu has loads of dialogue. And it's some of the most shocking acting ever.

Icehaven

Christian Slater attempting to channel Jack Nicholson in Heathers is truly, truly excruciating. Given I was only about 15 the first time I saw it I didn't realise, but when I saw it again a few years later I couldn't finish the film, to my mind it makes it totally unwatchable.

Johnny Textface

Re-watched Resovoir Dogs over the weekend. Tim Roth is pretty stinky in it - definitely the weak link.

non capisco

Quote from: Johnny Textface on April 01, 2019, 11:31:47 AM
Re-watched Resovoir Dogs over the weekend. Tim Roth is pretty stinky in it - definitely the weak link.

"Panic hit me like a buggedawaaaaadah!"

Shit Good Nose

Dear old Larry Olivier did a few howlingly terrible performances, the most notable being Inchon in which he played Douglas Macarthur (!!!), and completely ruining John Badham's otherwise admirable Dracula as Van Helsing.

Basically he was generally terrible in everything he was in for the last ten years or so of his life, save for the very odd exception.

Gulftastic

Yes. When you watch it now, it's obvious why Tarantino let him use his proper accent for 'Pulp Fiction'.

Mister Six

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 31, 2019, 08:51:55 AM
I thought it suited the flick... reminded me of harrison ford's reluctant/stoned deadpan drawl v/o in the 1982 cut of 'blade runner'. pulp. noir. whatever. besides, it's sort of what madsen does, isn't it?

Yeah but Harrison's VO was shit too, and at odds with his performance. YMMV I suppose.

Ben Affleck in the Netflix film 'Triple Frontier'. A performance that genuinely led me to wonder, is he OK?

Shaky

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 01, 2019, 02:33:57 PM
Dear old Larry Olivier did a few howlingly terrible performances, the most notable being Inchon in which he played Douglas Macarthur (!!!), and completely ruining John Badham's otherwise admirable Dracula as Van Helsing.

Basically he was generally terrible in everything he was in for the last ten years or so of his life, save for the very odd exception.

That exception being Clash of the Titans, obviously.

Bob Hoskins playing Hoover in 'JFK'.

Andrew Schofield as John Lydon in 'Syd and Nancy'

James Dean in just about everything; I'm not convinced he could act as opposed to doing moody poses.

Olivier's 'Othello' is pretty bad. Russell Davies did a decent evisceration of Olivier in a Channel 4 'J'Accuse' episode.

lazarou

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 01, 2019, 07:53:38 AM
In the film Knock, Knock Keanu has loads of dialogue. And it's some of the most shocking acting ever.

Bit of an obvious one, but Keanu's performance in Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula is an all-timer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moaW8LRusak

NoSleep

Quote from: NoSleep on March 31, 2019, 08:57:49 AM
Why is it bad acting to not be able to do an accent? It can be hilarious but it's bad production (you're meant to pick actors to fit the parts, or rewrite the part to fit the actor).

Keanu Reeves is no worse than Wynona Ryder with her terrible Princess Di accent. They both act adequately in Dracula (although Winona Ryder outdoes Reeves).

Similarly I couldn't see the problem with Ewan McGregor in Fargo (TV series). Most of the flak was for his accent(s) which I thought was a pretty good take on a specific regional one.

the ouch cube

There's a long and distinguished tradition of bland-to-outright-bad Jonathan Harkers; Keanu just took the ball and ran with it.

Small Man Big Horse

I don't know, I reckon he did the best impression of Miss Piggy ever committed to celluloid.

Keanu Reeves often gets a kicking in threads like these and he's undoubtedly turned in some shitty performances, but I think he's pretty decent in Thumbsucker and My Own Private Idaho, he just needs a good director to get the best out of him.

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 13, 2019, 01:51:35 AM
James Dean in just about everything; I'm not convinced he could act as opposed to doing moody poses.

I can only assume you've seen the posters but never watched the films???

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 31, 2019, 11:10:09 PM
Jennifer Anniston is a character actor, who prepares for all her roles by being Jennifer Anniston.

She was good in The Good Girl, and I enjoyed her in that thing with Paul Rudd. It wasn't all that good, the thing with Paul Rudd, save for the bit with Paul Rudd in the mirror, but The Good Girl was pretty impressive. Written by the fella wrote Chuck and Buck, among other things.

There's a film doesn't get talked about enough, is Chuck and Buck. Maybe a bit much Gay Panic in its bones for 2019, I dunno. But it was good at the time.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 13, 2019, 01:51:35 AM

This is based on the three films in which he starred? The three films in which he demonstrated acting ability?

kalowski

"I'm dyin' here;"

Edit: SMBH and I differ on choice of Muppet.

George White

Quote from: Mr Banlon on March 31, 2019, 12:51:59 AM
Harry H Pacino : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO5rEeH5JQs
It was this weird passion project/vanity adaptation of a Heathcote Williams play that he'd shoot every so often, and bring Paul Guilfoyle over. And so bits are done in London, i..e. the dog race, while Al was doing Revolution in the UK, but most of it was done in New York and Atlanta. Has an American newsstand selling Smash Hits.   The nearest thing to a Brit in the thing is Mayo-born Irish-Canadian-American Joe Orton expert Joseph Maher, whose Hiberno-English plummy twang is convincing enough.

Cuellar

All the big names in the Star Wars prequels which I've watched this weekend. Apart from Ian McDiarmid who seems to be having a gay old time. Sam Jackson, shit. Ewan MacGregor, shit. Portman, shit. Neeson, shit.

I mean obviously, but still.

NoSleep

Apparently they're told not to act by Lucas. By being more than a little bland they probably help sell more toys from the franchise.