Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:28:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Film Club - Central Nomination/Voting Thread

Started by greenman, March 31, 2019, 05:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

CaB Film Club Rules

Nomination/Voting

Each member on the rota gets a turn to choose a series of linked nominations, other members get one vote(prefferably highlighted in bold) as to their preffered choice, in the event of a draw the member who's turn it is can cast the deciding vote.

Joining

Anyone is free to join via mentioning it provided they've been a member for a decent length of time to prevent more obvious sock puppet accounts, new members will go to the back of the que when it comes to taking a turn to nominate.

Choices

No hard rules when it comes to choosing your nominations, just try to avoid any kind of joke choices or films that are likely to get decent discussion anyway(recent big releases or well known classics).

Discussion

When a choice has been made a separate thread will be created for the discussion of that film with a link to it in this thread.

greenman

Can Film Club Rota #1 Nominations - greenman

I didn't go with anything that obscure given that its a trial run so hopefully its all relatively easy to find either online or on DVD/BR, indeed as a last resort there all on Youtube/Dailymotion in full.

A selection of new wave films but avoiding the typical social realism and meta comedy of Fellini, Godard, etc in favour of choices with a more mysterious and atmospheric edge to them.

1.Ugetsu - Kenji Mizoguchi - 1953 - Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dUwz9j4oGM

2.Last Year At/In Marienbad - Alain Resnais - 1961 - Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Tvl1Fuxt8

3.Woman of the Dunes - Hiroshi Teshigahara - 1964 - Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kX4h_sEBiI

4.Marketa Lazarova - Frantisek Vlacil - 1967 - Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpQoB_FrGus

Current members list able to vote

greenman
rasta-spouse
zongmouse
Sin Agog
Small Man Big Horse
Avril Lavigne
Sebastian Cobb
Puce Moment
phantom_power
chveik
Dex Sawash
Z
Gregory Torso
kittens

Small Man Big Horse

It was hard to make a choice between your first two suggestions, but in the end I'm going for Ugetsu.

Dex Sawash

Quick look shows last two are on YouTube full film, I am more likely to participate if films are available real easy strestm like that.

edit- unless someone can link to other streams

greenman

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 31, 2019, 06:01:59 PM
Quick look shows last two are on YouTube full film, I am more likely to participate if films are available real easy strestm like that.

edit- unless someone can link to other streams

Marienbad is on Youtube as well and Ugetsu is on Dailymotion, I'm guessing not perfect quality but still hopefully should make it easier to start off with a larger discussion.

If things work out as I suggested then we could have a system were the nominations/voting for the next choice start at the same time as the discussion thread does, so many we get a choice worked out a week before the next round of discussion starts given time for people to track down/buy/watch beforehand.

Marienbad and Dunes were both pretty easy/cheap to get on DVD last time I checked and Ugestu was on amazon streaming after the recent Criterion BR release.

chveik

Avril Lavigne

I vote for Marienbad, what I've read makes it sound very much up my street.

Sin Agog

Woman of the Dunes is a stone cold favourite, but I should prob'ly vote for one of the others I'm less obsessed with.  I vote for Woman of the Dunes.

greenman

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 31, 2019, 11:00:23 PM
Marketa Lazarova

If we go with the order of members for the rota you would be next in terms of choosing some nominations for the second vote/choice after this one, would you be ok with that? maybe in a week or a bit more?

rasta-spouse

Quote from: greenman on April 01, 2019, 04:06:14 AM
If we go with the order of members for the rota you would be next in terms of choosing some nominations for the second vote/choice after this one, would you be ok with that? maybe in a week or a bit more?

Yes. Some questions though. Are there restrictions for the nominations? (In terms of number, and do they need a theme in common, also availability...)

I've got five or six in mind right now....

greenman

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 01, 2019, 04:42:05 AM
Yes. Some questions though. Are there restrictions for the nominations? (In terms of number, and do they need a theme in common, also availability...)

I've got five or six in mind right now....

I don't want to be some kind of supreme authority on things but given that there that your talking a relatively small number of members I'd say having too many nominations  probably isn't a great idea but maybe 3-5 as a general guide?

I wouldn't say a theme shouldnt really be a set rule, just seems like it gives a bit more form to things and indeed allows the person doing the nominations to have influence on the kind of discussion/choice rather than leaving it mostly to voting which might tend to produce a lot of similar results.

Availability wise again I'm not really sure what hard rules would be, I went with stuff that was all free on the net as a last resort just because this was a first trial run and indeed one were people might not get as long as normal before the discussion starts. Something ultra rare that's only on a handful of streaming sites seems like it would be a bad idea to me, the same with something that's out of print/expensive on DVD, hopefully the voting process will also partly take care of that with people less likely to go with things they can't watch. That's part of why I don't think focusing the "club" on obscure cinema is the best idea, to me very rare stuff seems better left to the "non new" thread or indeed the "hard to find" one.

Timescale wise people seemed to want a couple of weeks for a discussion(a separate thread for each of those), maybe the nominations and voting for the next choice should start here at the same time as that, give that a week before a choice is made and then another week for people to track down the film that's chosen.

Lost Oliver added to members list...

greenman
rasta-spouse
zongmouse
Sin Agog
Small Man Big Horse
Avril Lavigne
Sebastian Cobb
Puce Moment
phantom_power
chveik
Dex Sawash
Z
Gregory Torso
kittens
Lost Oliver

Lost Oliver

Marienbad for me but wouldn't mind any of them. Fucking great idea is this. So much so that I don't mind swearing.

greenman

So far...

Ugestu: 1
Marienbad: 4
Dunes: 1
Lazarova: 1

Puce Moment

Would love to re-watch any of them, but I would go for Marketa Lazarová as I am on a Czech cinema tip right now. Some people find Marienbad a real slog, so I would be delighted with that also.

greenman

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 01, 2019, 03:27:47 PM
Would love to re-watch any of them, but I would go for Marketa Lazarová as I am on a Czech cinema tip right now. Some people find Marienbad a real slog, so I would be delighted with that also.

Marienbad is the one that doesn't really have as many conventional elements to latch onto as the other three, its pretty much pure atmosphere and think piece(certainly a lot of room for discussion on what it all means) although only 90 mins long.

Lazarova is perhaps the most playful of the noms I'd say even if its the longest, I mean the style of it takes some getting used to with the strange sound work but besides that it almost feels like a spaghetti western shifted to medieval Europe.

This is really the kind of cinema I was saying doesn't seem to get enough discussion here, not that nobody is watching it but more nobody is watching/discussing it at the same time so you just get isolated posts, or maybe 1-2 replies. Honestly when it happens the discussion here is some of the best I'v come across on the net, a lot of people with interesting tastes but without  the arrogant grand standing you get on say the Criterion Forum.

Puce Moment

Quote from: greenman on April 01, 2019, 03:38:05 PMMarienbad is the one that doesn't really have as many conventional elements to latch onto as the other three, its pretty much pure atmosphere and think piece(certainly a lot of room for discussion on what it all means) although only 90 mins long.

I adore it - totally immersive. But it does split audiences - which is a good thing.

QuoteLazarova is perhaps the most playful of the noms I'd say even if its the longest, I mean the style of it takes some getting used to with the strange sound work but besides that it almost feels like a spaghetti western shifted to medieval Europe.

The photography is beautiful.

greenman

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 01, 2019, 03:49:26 PM
I adore it - totally immersive. But it does split audiences - which is a good thing.

I think it works well just as a strange atmospheric peice but is also probably a good example of something its worth watching more than once after discussion.

QuoteThe photography is beautiful.

I spose along with the description I have that's the most obvious thing that links all of these films, I admit I rewatch them partly hoping to soak up compositional ability for my photography.

lazarou added to members list...

greenman
rasta-spouse
zongmouse
Sin Agog
Small Man Big Horse
Avril Lavigne
Sebastian Cobb
Puce Moment
phantom_power
chveik
Dex Sawash
Z
Gregory Torso
kittens
Lost Oliver
lazarou

I was planning to start the actual discussion next weekend although hopefully the winner will be clear before then.

rasta-spouse

Not to speak to soon but looks like Resnais might have it. Whoever edited that linked Marienbad trailer really wanted to inject some serious rhythm into it.

Quote from: greenman on April 01, 2019, 04:23:38 PM
I rewatch them partly hoping to soak up compositional ability for my photography.

That's interesting. This might seem like a dumb question (I don't take photographs, but I've got a Bryan Peterson book on my shelf) but are there noticeable differences in film photography and stills photography regarding composition, or do they broadly overlap?

greenman

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 02, 2019, 01:49:23 AMThat's interesting. This might seem like a dumb question (I don't take photographs, but I've got a Bryan Peterson book on my shelf) but are there noticeable differences in film photography and stills photography regarding composition, or do they broadly overlap?

Theres some overlap in composition although you have difference that camera/subject movement can evolve composition in cinema.

Something like the lakeside picnic in Ugetsu works very well has a still composition I'd say dispite Mizoguchi's typically shifting camera work.

zomgmouse

The only one of these I've seen is Marienbad so I'd be tempted to vote for one of the others, but they're all based on books I currently don't have time to read so I think I'll vote for Marienbad.

rue the polywhirl

Add me to list of film club members. Also, I think first three Care Bears movies are on youtube as well as their version of the Nutcracker which I don't think has been seen as many people. There must be a dozen Pokemon movies up there worth dissecting as well.

greenman

Your not exactly selling yourself given the "no joke choices" rule but your free to vote and go on the rota.

Quote from: zomgmouse on April 02, 2019, 07:34:00 AM
The only one of these I've seen is Marienbad so I'd be tempted to vote for one of the others, but they're all based on books I currently don't have time to read so I think I'll vote for Marienbad.

I wouldn't say you need to have read the books there based on to make decent comment on them although Ugetsu is only based on a couple of short stories you could get though in half an hour.

greenman

I'll carry on with the voting until sunday, looks like Marienbad will probably win unless theres a late rush for something else...

Ugestu: 1
Marienbad: 5
Dunes: 1
Lazarova: 2

If you want to join and vote in one post them go ahead.

greenman

I''ll make the deadline midday for any last minute votes then start up the discussion thread.

Edit. no last minute votes so its Marienbad, discussion(and a link to watch it) in this thread....

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=72533.new#new

Z

I'd've gone with Ugetsu or Marienbad, Lazarova would've been a really bad first pick imo. 2hr45, fairly slow and obtuse.

Marienbad might be a slog but it's a 90 minute one.

greenman

rasta-spouse's turn to come up with the next lot of nominations, the main question of the suggestions really seems to be availability. I mean were not going to be able to go with stuff that's all on Youtube, Dailymotion, etc every time but what is peoples preference? Netflix/Amazon? DVD/BR's and if the latter at what kind of price?

Puce Moment

Quote from: greenman on April 08, 2019, 12:04:30 PMrasta-spouse's turn to come up with the next lot of nominations, the main question of the suggestions really seems to be availability. I mean were not going to be able to go with stuff that's all on Youtube, Dailymotion, etc every time but what is peoples preference? Netflix/Amazon? DVD/BR's and if the latter at what kind of price?

I can usually find just about any film for free through all the various channels. Beyond youtube and the like, Netflix and Prime are fine by me. I find that Emule, box of broadcasts and torrents sort me out.

greenman

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 08, 2019, 12:29:51 PM
I can usually find just about any film for free through all the various channels. Beyond youtube and the like, Netflix and Prime are fine by me. I find that Emule, box of broadcasts and torrents sort me out.

Part of the idea of having separate threads for the discussion would be that it will be easier and less disruptive to go back to them if you cant watch something in the original window.

I mean we could go with just one week between discussions that way and have several going at once, would mean everyone gets a turn doing noms within 3-4 months.