Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:40:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Film Club - Central Nomination/Voting Thread

Started by greenman, March 31, 2019, 05:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on April 22, 2019, 06:24:40 AM
Hello my turn now it seems. Here's a few choices of horror films I've yet to watch:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Angst
• Spring
• The Prophecy
• Cemetery Man

I've seen all of them apart from Cemetery Man, so that gets my vote.

greenman

Not seen it for about 20 years and just ordered a BR from Arrow so I guess I'll go with Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Sin Agog

Almost want to vote for Body Snatchers 'cause of young Goldblum and a great Olaf Stapledon reference at one point*, but I do think I'll have to vote for Cemetery Man as it's my favourite surreal horror thing.  The comic's nae bad either.

*has there ever been a thread on high-brow event/action movies?  This would definitely qualify

Gregory Torso

Quote from: zomgmouse on April 22, 2019, 06:24:40 AM
Hello my turn now it seems. Here's a few choices of horror films I've yet to watch:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Angst
• Spring
• The Prophecy
• Cemetery Man

Great list. I'm afraid I don't have time to watch many films at the moment, but I've seen a few of these already. My vote is for Angst because I've had that on my hard-drive for years and it's time I watched it.

mothman

But, WHICH Prophecy? There have been several...

Z

Quote from: Gregory Torso on April 22, 2019, 12:23:57 PMMy vote is for Angst because I've had that on my hard-drive for years and it's time I watched it.
For similar reasons I'm picking Angst

zomgmouse

Quote from: mothman on April 22, 2019, 12:46:46 PM
But, WHICH Prophecy? There have been several...

Not sure if joking but it's the 1995 one.

mothman

What? Leaving aside the assorted sequels to said 1995 film, there have been several films called "(The) Prophecy."

Sin Agog

The Frankenheimer one is my favourite.  I find it fascinating how the down on his luck director of the masterpiece that is Seconds took a sub-Corman, sub-Larry Cohen monster movie script and somehow made something fairly compelling.

zomgmouse

Quote from: mothman on April 22, 2019, 02:35:58 PM
What? Leaving aside the assorted sequels to said 1995 film, there have been several films called "(The) Prophecy."

Ah, apologies. Not sure what I had assumed you meant really. But yes, the 1995 one.

Avril Lavigne

I'm gonna say Cemetery Man because it has frequently turned up in horror recommendation lists since I first started seeking them out in like 1997, yet I still haven't gotten around to watching it.

Sin Agog

Might post my noms later today, as I'll be off the grid visiting a granddad I've never met on his death bed all of tomorrow. (Not sure what I'll say to him,  Maybe, 'Hi...bye.')

Sin Agog

OK, chosen them.  Only 'theme' is they're all under 90 minutes and available on youtube or dailymotion.

Belladonna of Sadness. Yamamoto. 87 mins. 1973. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n2U8g3Ohkg4
This might be more male gazey than an entire exhibit of Frank Franzetta paintings (albeit mitigated by a strong female empowerment message), but it's also probably the most psychedelic movie I've seen.  Dark and beautiful animation in the Yellow Submarine/Fantastic Planet vein about..a Barbarella lookalike who makes a series of pacts with the penis-devil.  Stunning soundtrack.  Makes me seriously miss the counter-culture.

The Tale of the Fox. Starewicz. 63 mins. 1931 (with a few things added in 1937 for the German release).    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cCcOqdPLA9M Thought it would be fitting, in the wake of those recent Disney threads, to post a true, rock solid animated classic, starring a conniving scoundrel of a fox, and featuring the kind of macabre humour I can't ever imagine gracing a Disney movie (apparently they planned to do a remake, but mid-way through production changed Reynard into Robin Hood).  Everything's so goddamn tactile and detailed.  All of Wladyslaw Starewicz' work is worth looking into (if you don't get too squeamish at the idea of a taxidermist-animator), but the time and effort it must have taken to make this, years before Snow White, is staggering.

L'Ange.  Bokanowski. 1982. 64 mins. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TKuLDYzvhas If The Red Room from Twin Peaks had its own Red Room, the resulting atmosphere might be somewhat like this film.  Don't expect much in the way of a plot, but if dark, dreamy liminal spaces are your thing you should dig this. Some of these images will stay with you forever.

Nostos: The Return.  Piavoli. 1989. 84 mins. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn41hp4P_mo Almost wordless take on the Odysseus myth, save for a smattering of Ancient Hellenic, and featuring some of the most beautiful nature photography ever caught on film.  The etymology of the word 'nostalgia' is something like 'painful journey,' which seems fitting here. I always pictured the Odysseus in the books as being more of a smug, self-serving manipulator, but this seems to be more about taking Homer's story and turning it into an inner-odyssey.  Something like that. Lovely film.  One of the best. Recommended if you like Tarkovsky, Frantisek Vlacil...them sort of cats. My upload.

This last one was chosen specifically for Lee J. Sebastian Cobb, The Thief. 1952. 86 mins.
Part 1: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6f2cl
Part 2: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6f1sbs
Long before The Artist was an evil gleam in an Oscar-baiting exec's eye, there was The Thief, an entirely wordless film noir.  In it we follow the dude from Billy Wilder's Lost Weekend in his nailbitingly tense attempts to steal classified information about nukes and whatnot.  So a bit of a hokey plot, but also strangely radical in its attempts at getting us to sympathise with an anti-American conspirator in 1952.  The direction is excellent, very Hitchcockian, especially in the final Empire State Building set-piece. And when you start thinking about all the little ways it avoids using the human voice (like transforming the sound of the speakers at the train station into an alien muffle), it's dead smart.  Always loved wordless storytelling, and this is right up there with Richard Matheson's two quiet cinematic endeavours, The Incredible Shrinking Man & Duel.

chveik

Small Man Big Horse

Belladonna of Sadness sounds suitably mental so it gets my vote.

Z

Man, they all sounds interesting in some way or another (asides from Belladonna of Sadness, which I'm judging entirely off one trailer I saw in a cinema a few years ago)...

Gonna go with The Tale of the Fox as the one I'm most likely to pay sufficient attention to. Although L'Ange seems like it would be the best gamble as far as "I'll either love or _fucking haaaaaaaaate_ this thing". Much like my vote for the last round, the Tale of the Fox has been on my list for years.

greenman

We were looking at more than 2 weeks but the Ghostbox Cowboy discussion seems to have been limited by peoples ability to watch it, personally I wasn't too keen on giving my email to any dodgy streaming service. I spose we can go back to it if it becomes easier to watch in the UK.

Were going with Cemetery Man from the previous noms then?

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=72890.new#new

zomgmouse

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 27, 2019, 03:41:57 PM
Might post my noms later today, as I'll be off the grid visiting a granddad I've never met on his death bed all of tomorrow. (Not sure what I'll say to him,  Maybe, 'Hi...bye.')

I'd watch this film. Jesus this sounds rough. Hope it goes well.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 27, 2019, 06:13:08 PM
OK, chosen them.  Only 'theme' is they're all under 90 minutes and available on youtube or dailymotion.

I think I'll go with L'Ange.

Also in fitting with this theme may I recommend this film: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083559/
Highly unlikely you'll find it easily online but if you can track it down it's loopy as fuck. (Or let me know and I can find a way of getting it to you.)

Sin Agog

Cheers for the granddad sympathy, zommy. It went alright, although I think I need to take a course on how to talk to 95-year-olds, as everything that came to mind was loopy H.S. Art shit, which would'nae have flown with an old army vet/Quaker.  Just played it safe and nodded and smiled a lot instead.

'ere, I hope I haven't posted a link to a different l'Ange, because I think you and I are talking about the same movie.  Nope, it's the right one. Did you accidentally post l'Ange's IMDB page??

zomgmouse

Ah fuck, so I did. This is the one I meant: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069210/
I was going to copy and paste that link but before I could nu twitchy brain decided to look up a couple of films from your list to double check some details and then forgot that I'd done that and embed up copying and pasting a link to L'ange instead. Bloody hell.

Sin Agog

Oh wow, a thousand salaams, man.  That looks just like my cup of celluloid.  I love subversive, trippy takes on history,  Recently flew through Pasolini's medieval trilogy from the '70s and enjoyed them all. Will definitely dust off my old karagarga account next time I have access to a computer and grab Salome. 

(By the way, I have been watching some of the non-winners as well.  Had a good time with Bleak Moments and that early Bela Tarr movie from last week).

rasta-spouse

Going with Nostos: The Return

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 29, 2019, 10:16:44 AM
Had a good time with Bleak Moments

This one makes me curious about the process of it all. If ever something deserved a 3hr "making of" doc....

zomgmouse

greenman

Yeah but I thought we'd leave the next discussion to the coming Sunday with the Avengers film and Game of Thrones likely eating into peoples viewing time.

Lost Oliver

DukeDeMondo

Can I join the club? I'm voting for Belladonna, if I'm eligible.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on May 10, 2019, 02:01:28 AM
Can I join the club? I'm voting for Belladonna, if I'm eligible.

You can and you are, and I'm not saying that just because you voted for the same film as me.