Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:03:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Film Club - Central Nomination/Voting Thread

Started by greenman, March 31, 2019, 05:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Voting up to this coming Sunday with the current situation at....

Belladonna of Sadness - 2
The Tale of the Fox - 1
L'Ange - 1
Nostos: The Return - 4

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks good sir. I struggled to come up with a theme as so many of the movies I wanted to nominate aren't available online (bar torrenting, which I know not everyone does), and in the end lumped for "My favourite vaguely cult black and white comedy films" - and I know, I know, Lemonade Joe's technically yellow and black, but, um, it still counts. Sort of.

The Nine Lives Of Thomas Katz - A very low budget British flick which is joyously weird - https://archive.org/details/TheNineLivesOfTomasKatz

Hellzapoppin (1941) - One of my favourite comedies of all time, and packed with a crazy amount of fantastic jokes -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2TOriWWSLE

Coffee & Cigarettes (2003) - Jim Jarmusch's series of vignettes about the two c's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBgJ7OrybVk

Lemonade Joe - An amazingly silly czechoslovakian musical comedy -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzuTQWrjh2o

In The Soup (1992) - I haven't watched it in years but at the time I loved this Steve Buscemi comedy which also stars the late Seymour Cassel - https://ok.ru/video/80869395010

greenman

I wouldn't say being available online is essential if a film is relatively easy/cheap to pickup on DVD and stream on netflix/amazon.

Sin Agog

Not gonna just blurt out a vote this time, but great choices, SMBH!  Never seen Katz or In the Soup (despite loving Cassel. RIP), so might just watch them anyway.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: greenman on May 12, 2019, 04:37:58 PM
I wouldn't say being available online is essential if a film is relatively easy/cheap to pickup on DVD and stream on netflix/amazon.

Ah, that'll teach me not to read the thread properly! But it's not a problem, I'm fond of all of the ones I nominated, and will keep it in mind when I next get to nominate again in a few months time.

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 12, 2019, 04:46:27 PM
Not gonna just blurt out a vote this time, but great choices, SMBH!  Never seen Katz or In the Soup (despite loving Cassel. RIP), so might just watch them anyway.

Thank you, that's very kind of you to say. I know what I want to win, but all five are films I liked watching a lot.

greenman

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 12, 2019, 04:56:18 PM
Ah, that'll teach me not to read the thread properly! But it's not a problem, I'm fond of all of the ones I nominated, and will keep it in mind when I next get to nominate again in a few months time.

I mean theres no real "rule" there at all so much as what seems to have worked so far.

I'm going to be very unadventurous and go with Coffee and Cigarettes(despite partaking of neither) simply because I'v been meaning to rewatch it, perhaps more significant in retrospect as the birth of "meta Coogan"?

zomgmouse

Out of these the only one I've not seen and which is on my watchlist (and has been for a while) is In the Soup so let's go with that.

Avril Lavigne

I vote for Hellzapoppin' as I've enjoyed clips of it before and have intended to see the full thing for a while now, also I've seen Coffee & Cigarettes and In The Soup a few times.

peanutbutter

I'll be able to watch whichever of these wins tbh, nice selection!

In the Soup has been on my watchlist for ages but The Nine Lives Of Thomas Katz looks like a fun thing I'd need a bit of a nudge to check out so I'mma vote for it

Gregory Torso

Vote for hellzapoppin. I saw it about twenty years ago disintegrating under the influence of a microdot and I'd love to watch it again

Sin Agog

I'm pretty sure the one SMBH wants to win is Hellzapoppin, and while I think a bit of fourth wall demolishing screwball energy would be good for The Club, my head is currently in more of an early '90s indie film space at the moment, and I've still never seen In The Soup.

greenman

I'll start off the next discussion on sunday but this concept does seem to be dying on the vine a bit after the first discussion, I don't really want to be telling people what they can nominate but perhaps shift a bit away from the obscure most won't have watched? maybe towards somewhat more well known/watched cinema that doesn't get indepth discussion here much?

I don't think it matters what the film chocies, its the nature of threads like this. Similar things happend to the peep show and Derek watch alongs, and The L&H isn't as popular as Replies From View with like. Threads in general have a finite life span and threads like this one are a bit like a an open mic night, where people onky stick around in order to get there shot on the mic and then go home after that. The only sucess I've had with doingt his sort of thing is making a regular time to stream the films, trying to remove the most amount of barriers as possible. Where this thread requires you to check in at some point to see the voting then another time to see whats been picked and then come back again for the indivdual thread, then they have to source the film, then they have to think of something worth while to post. with a live chat as we use on the stream its much easyer for people to bounce off each other and others can explain bits if others loose the thread of a film for some reason.

greenman

Most of the choices this far have actually had a link to a way to watch said film for free online, I suspect the issue is either a simple lack of time for the concept or the choices being a bit too obscure and not to everyones taste?

If think you could argue in terms of recommendations of more obscure cinema that the "what have you watched recently" thread is perhaps a better place? maybe this idea might be better suited to "quality film you want to discuss that doesn't otherwise get much discussion", theres I think a middle ground between very obscure cinema and what tends to get indepth discussion here that's normally either new releases or very well known films. Perhaps the benefit as well that chosing such films that are probably widely viewed by CaBers but not so widely discussed means people don't automatically have to make the time to rewatch them to join the discussion.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on May 23, 2019, 12:37:29 PM
threads like this one are a bit like a an open mic night, where people onky stick around in order to get there shot on the mic and then go home after that

I think that's a bit unfair, people are tending to dip in and out and contribute to some but not others depending on time / whether the film appeals, and quite a few people have posted their thoughts long after other films have started being discussed. I'm aware Nostos: The Return hasn't had much written about it yet but then it does come with a warning that you need to be in the right frame of mind to watch it, which is why I haven't seen it yet but do plan to do so soon.

Sorry I meant to suggest some people, not all people. That is from my experience of Open Mic nights. This thread may prove me wrong, lets hope so.

DukeDeMondo

Keeping with the open mic analogy, I think there might also be a bit of "fuck, I hope they don't put me on first" at work. Especially when the film to be discussed is something like Nostos. It's quite intimidating, I think, the thought of being the first to say anything at all about a film like that. More likely you'll hold back until someone else has gone on before inching towards the stage with your flute in your hand. As it were.

Greenman has now broken the seal, where Nostos is concerned. Hopefully we'll see that thread firing up these next couple days on the back of his contribution.

greenman

Honestly I didn't think Nostos was THAT difficult, its not really a film that demands a great deal of thought(provided you know the basics of the story), a quite simple atmospheric piece.

I spose you could argue by the same token its not a film you could go into great depth discussing in terms of themes/politics either.

peanutbutter

I don't even think the choices being too obscure is the issue. The issue is that all but one (and I thought it was awful) have been fairly difficult watches. By difficult I mean purely in terms of how much attention it requires to have any idea of it at all.

Subtitles are pretty much a no-go for a thing like this imo, heading in knowing that you're going to have to FOCUS on this thing for at least 80 minutes is just gonna result in it being put off forever in a lot of cases.
Same goes for slow paced mood piece stuff, and heavily visual low-dialogue dealios.

I'm absolutely gonna watching whichever of the next set of options is chosen because it's not gonna be the czech one and the others all look like I could let my attention sway a bit but of the last set there was only one that I was fairly confident I'd be even able to entertain watching. I've bookmarked 3 of the four to watch at some point in time, but they're gonna be hanging around there for years until I'm in the right mood.

Sin Agog

My internet's down at the moment, and I'm pretty consumed by some unrelenting gastro pain, so you may have to pretend I've been kidnapped/gone on a kibbutz/kidnapped by a kibbutz for a few weeks.

I will say that I think Nostos is a sweet film that should leave you feeling better about life and stuff after watching it.  I always have a warm lingering glowy feeling after watching something that poetic.

Gregory Torso

I really really do want to watch the films and contribute to the threads, I just don't have enough free time to do those things at the moment. I feel bad. Bad. Especially because there have been some great selections that I think I'd enjoy watching and writing about. I'l get round to them at some point.

greenman

Having the discussions in separate threads will hopefully mean its easier to go back to them rather than having to go back into one long thread.

As Sin says I don't think Nostos is really very demanding, I mean its not a conventional film but its not Tarkovsky or something like that asking the viewer to consider more complex ideas and themes, its a pretty simple story told in an atmospheric fashion and indeed isn't that long at 80 mins.

Lost Oliver

For me it's a time thing, coupled with the fact that I'm a bit of a thick bastard and have nothing of interest to add. There's likely a few others who like me are watching the chosen ones, reading the threads etc. but don't have the nerve to post. On behalf of us all, we're thankful to have this.

peanutbutter

Quote from: greenman on May 24, 2019, 01:23:52 PM
As Sin says I don't think Nostos is really very demanding, I mean its not a conventional film but its not Tarkovsky or something like that asking the viewer to consider more complex ideas and themes, its a pretty simple story told in an atmospheric fashion and indeed isn't that long at 80 mins.
I think you may be underestimating how demanding it is to absorb an atmospheric film and have it work for a forum of people who are pathetically addicted to the internet.
Anyways, I'll be getting around to it in a few weeks when I have some shrooms. Sounds like it'd rule on a mild amount. I also bought a timer lock (which is apparently a sex toy) to lock all my internet away for when I watch films.

Has anyone been making a letterboxd list of all the nominations and choices? I'd say well over half of the nominees so far are things I want to check out at some point.

Avril Lavigne

Hey folks, I've been informed that my choices are next so here they are.  I have over 250 movies in my current IMDB watchlist so to get things going quicker I just picked a few of the most recent additions, plus one movie that I've seen a lot and just like the idea of discussing.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)
'A boy (Julian Dennison) and his foster father (Sam Neill) become the subjects of a manhunt after they get stranded in the New Zealand wilderness.'

I discovered this via the existing thread for it on here and I know nothing about it but I need more Sam Neill in my life and the description alone sold me on this film.

TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Xvsjy57X0

The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
'In New Jersey in 1935, a movie character walks off the screen and into the real world.'

I've seen this before but that was so long ago that I don't remember much about it except that I enjoyed it and would probably count it as one of Woody Allen's better movies, but I won't know for sure until I watch it again.

TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp6YDZVVbj0

Last Flag Flying (2017)
'Thirty years after they served together in Vietnam, a former Navy Corpsman Larry "Doc" Shepherd re-unites with his old buddies, former Marines Sal Nealon and Reverend Richard Mueller, to bury his son, a young Marine killed in the Iraq War.'

This is a kind of pseudo-sequel to the great 1973 Jack Nicholson road-trip drama 'The Last Detail', and it's directed by Richard Linklater whose work I generally love.

TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmS4lTZ34uk

Super Mario Bros. (1993)
'Two Brooklyn plumbers, Mario and Luigi, must travel to another dimension to rescue a princess from the evil dictator King Koopa and stop him from taking over the world.'

This isn't a joke-suggestion, I find this movie fascinating for a variety of reasons and would love to read some discussion on it. It had a famously troubled production, Bob Hoskins drank a lot just to get through shooting it, and the whole thing was clearly more about the creators of Max Headroom wanting to make a cyberpunk sci-fi movie than anything vaguely resembling the Mario videogames or cartoon series. I also love the production design.

TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtMZKYnLg5c

Small Man Big Horse

Last Flag Flying for me, as it's the only one I've not seen and I'm fond of yer man Linklater.

DukeDeMondo

I'd be happy with any of those but I'm going to vote for Super Mario Bros because I don't think I've ever seen it the whole way through and what Avril said there has intrigued me greatly.