Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:29:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Billie Ellish

Started by Noodle Lizard, April 01, 2019, 03:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

So, I don't know about over there, but you can't move for mention of Billie Ellish here at the moment.  It's one of those overnight things where suddenly everyone's chatting about her, I guess she just released her debut album.  "When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?" it's called.

Fully expected it to be shit, but I liked the artwork, so I gave it a go.  Turns out it's not bad, and I liked this music video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUHC9tYz8ik

She's only 17 as well, it seems.  Fucksake, that'll make you feel old.  Good for her, an' all.

jobotic

iamcoop

What's this new obsession with pushing female vocalists that have this horrible, child-like breathy-voiced vocal sound that basically sounds like a 7 year old having sex? It makes me feel sick. Anyway I tried listening to some of this the other night cos she's everywhere, the song "I wish you were gay" or whatever it's called. Fucking abysmal.

SteveDave

Yeah, I had a listen but this sort of music is none of my business.

jobotic

Dannyhood91

She's no Ariana Grande or Kali Uchis but I think she has the potential to make something I'd enjoy one day.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: iamcoop on April 01, 2019, 12:39:20 PM
What's this new obsession with pushing female vocalists that have this horrible, child-like breathy-voiced vocal sound that basically sounds like a 7 year old having sex? It makes me feel sick. Anyway I tried listening to some of this the other night cos she's everywhere, the song "I wish you were gay" or whatever it's called. Fucking abysmal.

https://twitter.com/sidneyphlegm/status/1112117994610720768?s=21

Noodle Lizard

I think it's musically more interesting than a lot of these "young music girls" we get, and the creepy/horror elements obviously play to my sensibilities.  I don't particularly like that voice either but  I dunno, I'm not sad this exists, which is nice.

alan nagsworth

she's one of those lower case song title types i see

can't get on board with that mentality personally

Cuellar

How do you know what a 7 year old having sex sounds like...?

Hey, Punk!

that basically sounds like a 7 year old having sex?

Noodle Lizard

Ah Christ, it's Billie E-i-lish.  With an 'i'.  How humiliating.

Stupid name.  Too many straight lines.  Gone off her.

Norton Canes

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 02, 2019, 01:02:27 PM
she's one of those lower case song title types i see

can't get on board with that mentality personally

Yeah but upper case

Just been listening to THE QUANTA SERIES, the new album by K Á R Y Y N

The tracklist:

01. 'EVER'
02. 'YAJNA'
03. 'PURGATORY'
04. 'BINARY'
05. 'AMBETS GORAV'
06. 'Un-c2-See'
07. 'MIRROR ME'
08. 'CYTOKINESIS'
09. 'ALEPPO'
10. 'TODAY I READ YOUR LIFE STORY 11:11'
11. 'SEGMENT & THE LINE'

Clownbaby

Yep. This is something that has been bugging me for a while.

up_the_hampipe

I think her song "bury a friend" is genuinely good and creepy. Mental music video n'all.

jobotic

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 01, 2019, 09:27:37 PM
https://twitter.com/sidneyphlegm/status/1112117994610720768?s=21

Quotebillie eilish: *is a 17 year old girl, makes music for 17 year old girls*

33 year old man who listens solely to americ anfootball and other fantano-core albums: well i listened to this and i didn't relate to it at all, therefore it's terrible. i hope you die, billie eilish.

americ anfootball and other fantano-core albums

Not only do I not understand 17 year old girls but also 33 year old men it seems.

jobotic

Not really new is it? I can remember feeling a bit icky about Daisy Chainsaw

Clownbaby

I don't think music "for 17 year old girls by 17 year old girls" would have appealed to me. Teen stuff has always seemed a bit redundant to me cause when I stopped liking "kid things" I jumped straight to "adult things". Things like Twilight and Avril Lavigne felt just as kiddy as the kid stuff. I don't think I'd mind Billie Eilish at all if she just had a different voice. The actual songs I don't mind. Titles are a bit gimmicky. Songs sound alright. Hate voice.

It's always the voice that makes or breaks an artist for me. They could be a hack songwriter but if they can sing it enjoyably I'll let it slip. I had the same problem with Daughters' recent album in that it was musically right up my alley but the tedious vocal performance grated, and not in a good way.

iamcoop

Also, I feel the whole "music for 17 year olds" thing is slightly disingenuous. I know almost nothing about, say Little Mix, whereas Billie Eilish is everywhere at the moment and ostensibly being pushed to anyone that's a fan of pop music. Therefore I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest I don't like the music I've heard from her. Especially when it's in response to a question posted about her on a forum.

Icehaven

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 03, 2019, 01:36:37 AM
Ah Christ, it's Billie E-i-lish.  With an 'i'.  How humiliating.

Stupid name.  Too many straight lines.  Gone off her.

Every time I see the name it makes me think of Billy Childish. Not that I can actually remember who he is (B list punk band member??) but I know he existed.   

Post-Wikipedia-check edit; I wasn't far wrong.

Norton Canes

I feel like her stuff should be right up my street but I'm not really getting any of it. Was the same with FKA Twigs - on paper ticks all the boxes, actual music leaves me cold.

Sorry Billie.

Norton Canes

I get the impression that after all this initial edgy stuff gets her to the A-list she'll be jumping on board with all the usual chart hit producers.

Sorry again, Billie.

machotrouts

I went to listen to Blieleill IllIshish's top 5 songs on Spotify the other day and the first song, that was 'Bury Your Friends' I think, and the Evilstick-looking album cover both caught my fancy, but then the other 4 songs sounded mostly like Wispy White Girl John Lewis Ballads? What gives? I was all raring for some light spook-pop. Are they reflective of the album?

If anyone else is going through the same disappointment, can I recommend a dose of Gazelle Twin? It's just I'm just always disappointed when any new music by anyone doesn't sound like that.

Nowhere Man

She's no Joe Meek, that's for sure.

Quote from: iamcoop on April 04, 2019, 02:39:57 PM
Also, I feel the whole "music for 17 year olds" thing is slightly disingenuous. I know almost nothing about, say Little Mix, whereas Billie Eilish is everywhere at the moment and ostensibly being pushed to anyone that's a fan of pop music. Therefore I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest I don't like the music I've heard from her. Especially when it's in response to a question posted about her on a forum.

Billie Eilish and (some of) Little Mix are both good.

Clownbaby

Quote from: machotrouts on April 04, 2019, 07:45:45 PM
I went to listen to Blieleill IllIshish's top 5 songs on Spotify the other day and the first song, that was 'Bury Your Friends' I think, and the Evilstick-looking album cover both caught my fancy, but then the other 4 songs sounded mostly like Wispy White Girl John Lewis Ballads? What gives? I was all raring for some light spook-pop. Are they reflective of the album?

If anyone else is going through the same disappointment, can I recommend a dose of Gazelle Twin? It's just I'm just always disappointed when any new music by anyone doesn't sound like that.

This is a recurring problem I'm finding with new artists. They have a song single that gets you interested but that's where they shot their wad. I don't like to commit to buying an album that I haven't heard more than 3 tracks from anymore

Clownbaby

Little mix have some catchy tunes and I have a sort of soft spot for them cause they just are what they are, a pop group with a decent song writing team behind them. I'm not to keen on Billie Eilish because I feel like she's been smoke-and-mirrored into a more intriguing artist than she actually is.

purlieu

Although the overall aesthetic isn't that original (basically Lorde doing witch house), I quite like it. But the songs just aren't doing it for me. A pop album has to have earworms, and I can't find any on here. One to keep an eye on for the second album.

Captain Z

Not even the best 17 year old Billie to emerge in the pop music scene.

Please let me know if you would have preferred a Chris Evans joke.

Hey, Punk!

Not even the best singer who has had nothing to do with The Beatles.