Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:09:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Billie Ellish

Started by Noodle Lizard, April 01, 2019, 03:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Fantano-core. Is that a reference to that YouTuber with glasses. Is he that influential?

Clownbaby

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on April 06, 2019, 01:36:05 PM
Fantano-core. Is that a reference to that YouTuber with glasses. Is he that influential?

It's probably poking at the type of person who will only listen to albums that Antwan Fantwan himself has reviewed and enjoyed. I like his reviews even though a lot of the time I disagree with him.

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 04, 2019, 03:54:57 PM
I get the impression that after all this initial edgy stuff gets her to the A-list she'll be jumping on board with all the usual chart hit producers.

Sorry again, Billie.

Im not sure about that...there definitely seems to be a hell of a lot of artistic integrity there; shes more or less only exclusively written and recorded with her (very talented) brother, the album just released was all a home recording done in his bedroom with very little external influence.

From perusing her music for the last night or two, there defintely seems to be some sincerity and genuine creative thought going on there, and she's an amazing singer. I think.if I had a teenage daughter who was huge on Billie Eillish I'd find that way more preferable to a lot of the other prevalent shit going on.

To expand on her singing, I think maybe the new album doesnt always do it justice; I think she has an incredibly emotive voice, especially in a more organic setting. Please check out this 3 song session from last your she did with her brother accompanying on minimal guitar...it made me cry. That middle song.

https://youtu.be/dXiYvaeKzM4

That was a year ago when she was 16. She looks and sounds very different already after a trajectory of 12 months. Her age is vital here; and for me the songs can sway from her wonderful voice getting lost a bit in the production of the darker songs and the saccharine simplicity of the earlier more organic one but I genuinely believe and hope that the 2 of them have the potential to bring out some incredible stuff in the future if they can get that balance right

Twed

I hate this because it's the 2019 idea of what "dreamy" means. Hushed voices, but basically something that you can't separate from YouTube and social media. A dream that you'd have to like and subscribe to. Not proper dreamy for smelly old men, like Cocteau Twins or Slowdive.

Bronzy

The thing with her brother is a bit weird but overall she seems a decent lass

Quote from: Bronzy on September 12, 2019, 02:52:28 AM
The thing with her brother is a bit weird but overall she seems a decent lass

That her brother is her writing partner, producer and backing musician? I think again that adds a sincerity to it and also think its quite selfless of him to take such a backseat even though really he's contributing just as much to her success. Not everything has to be incestuous 😄

Bronzy

Quote from: Misspent Boners on September 12, 2019, 02:55:50 AM
That her brother is her writing partner, producer and backing musician? I think again that adds a sincerity to it and also think its quite selfless of him to take such a backseat even though really he's contributing just as much to her success. Not everything has to be incestuous 😄

I've always thought it must be a bit awkward for siblings of the opposite sex to be in a band or write songs together, especially if they're about shagging and stuff. The Knife are the only one I can think of off the top of my head so there may be some truth to it.

On the other hand I've just finished watching hung guy fucks big tittied stepsister so it could be that

Quote from: Twed on September 12, 2019, 02:35:05 AM
I hate this because it's the 2019 idea of what "dreamy" means. Hushed voices, but basically something that you can't separate from YouTube and social media. A dream that you'd have to like and subscribe to. Not proper dreamy for smelly old men, like Cocteau Twins or Slowdive.

In what way is it tied to social media though? Yeah her videos are available to watch on youtube and I imagine she has an instagram; I just checked and Slowdive do too. Thats just how things run now...I dont see any cynical urgency from Eillish to "please like and subscribe" in any of her things if thats what you mean. That was my point I think; as a 17 year old popstar writing her own music and putting some actual creative thought into things she should be encouraged and is far better than Ariana Grande and whoever else.
Im not some kind of Eillish superfan and not going to deflect comments in her honour all day 😄 just thought that some of the views in this thread were a bit unfair (albeit understandable)

Twed

Quote from: Misspent Boners on September 12, 2019, 03:06:22 AM
In what way is it tied to social media though? Yeah her videos are available to watch on youtube and I imagine she has an instagram; I just checked and Slowdive do too.
You are very not in tune with me here (not your fault). It just has that smell about it. I don't mean that her stuff directly references social media. I mean that for me, it's impossible for me to hear it and separate it from that world. To me it is the music of somebody who is from the Internet and can never be heard in any other way.

(I've bolded bits that make it clear this is subjective so we don't have to waste time with all that bollocks)

I like dreamy music that is timeless and can sit in any context, and this doesn't do it for me.

Natnar

Quote from: Misspent Boners on September 12, 2019, 02:55:50 AM

Doesn't Dido have the same thing going on with her brother?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: iamcoop on April 01, 2019, 12:39:20 PM
child-like breathy-voiced vocal sound that basically sounds like a 7 year old having sex?

It does sound like someone is touching her there, doesn't it? I was introduced to the delights of this child by youtube adverts for Calvin Klein or whatever perfume. I can't download anything in work so my youtube has no adblocker so I'm at the mercy of any ad it wants to throw at me.

Anyway a month or two ago every couple of hours I'd be subjected to "You're tough boy, a really rough boy" before I could get to the mute button. Angered and intrigued in not equal measure, 95% anger, 5% intrigue I googled these pretty pathetic Brandon Flowers level lyrics (rough boy, tough boy = boyfriend looks like your girlfriend) and read up about Eilish.

I mean fair play to her, she's only a small child. As for her music, it's okay for your average Joe but it's not for me.

Dr Syntax Head

This is not aimed at me. Which makes it depressingly easy to ignore completely. It doesn't really say anything to anyone does it? Depressingly mundane.

Cardenio I

Old men compare cloud unfavourably to Cocteau Twins

Ja'moke

One of my favourite albums of the year so far, and her Glastonbury performance was great. Big fan of her new music video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PZsSWwc9xA

Twed

Quote from: Cardenio I on September 12, 2019, 12:07:07 PM
Old men compare cloud unfavourably to Cocteau Twins
Owned me with my own joke there

purlieu

Quote from: purlieu on April 05, 2019, 08:42:24 PM
Although the overall aesthetic isn't that original (basically Lorde doing witch house), I quite like it. But the songs just aren't doing it for me. A pop album has to have earworms, and I can't find any on here. One to keep an eye on for the second album.
I've pushed this up to 'I like about half of the album', but I'm still struggling to remember a lot of it. Decent, though. More pianoey than I initially remembered.

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on September 12, 2019, 09:47:07 AM
It doesn't really say anything to anyone does it?
Maybe not, but it sounds pretty good.

Cardenio I

Quote from: Twed on September 12, 2019, 02:23:30 PM
Owned me with my own joke there

Good job you didn't let it get to you.

Twed

So it's confirmed that Billie Eilish is music for people who are the Come Dine With Me announcer.

Cardenio I

Twed

Head Gardener

make your own Billie Ellish tune

Twed

I love the reference he's making with the keyboard riff.

Twit 2

My 8 year old daughter likes her. Swear to God next time it comes through the car's speakers I'm gonna ditch cark us.

When the Guardian does it's next "Top 100 albums of whatever decade this is" she'll be in it.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Misspent Boners on September 12, 2019, 02:18:10 AM
the album just released was all a home recording done in his bedroom with very little external influence.

H-O-W-L

Boring as shit and I was a big fan of Grimes when she was doing similar stuff. Not the style, just the execution. Just really, really fucking boring and her being screamed about makes it clear she's The Man's attempt at the Next Big Thing Nobody Knows About. Except everyone knows about her, you cold-hearted jaffers.

canadagoose

Don't think I'm a fan; her voice irritates me. She just seems like an irritating teenager, which probably makes me old. Also why is her surname pronounced "Eye-lish"? "Eilish" is usually "ay-lish", like "pay" without the "p", isn't it?

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 14, 2019, 12:47:02 PM

Ha yes in retrospect your chinny reckon emoticon is probably very apt