Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:09:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

60 Year Old Goth Owns TV Presenter

Started by SteveDave, April 01, 2019, 01:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

I fucking hate Robert Smith.

What was he thinking going to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame if he was going to act like the teenager he still clearly wants to be?

Even Tom "Thom" Yorke came up with an excuse ("I've got a gig a week away and there's no way to get to France from America in that time soz") to not go.

Anyway, I know you all love the Cure but I just had to tell you that you're wrong and I will not be entering into correspondence.

DELETE THREAD.

Icehaven

What did he say? I can only find videos of this incident with captions like 'You won't BELIEVE what Robert Smith of the Cure said to this interviewer in this deadpan viral video!!"and I can't watch them at work.

phes

Icehaven

Oh. Bit of a wasted trip then. For all involved.

gilbertharding

Presenter, virtually bouncing up and down with joy and excitement: "Are you as excited as I am?!"

Fat Bob: "erm... by the sound of it, no."

Which, to be fair, doesn't quite mean he's not pleased to be there. But Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is not something I can even pretend to understand.

BlodwynPig

Have a look at Rolling Stone's Top 100 lists or Q magazine to see how beige people view music. Elitist, establishment, status quo, Status Quo

Kalabi

He just wants to listen to Bauhaus and eat some trifle.

momatt

I thought it was funny as fuck!

It seemed like he was more bemused at how incredibly excited the presenter was, rather than poo-pooing the award itself.

Robert Smith is cool.
And fat.
And depressed.

momatt

the science eel

I wish I had enough hair to look like a fat goth Chow Chow.

jobotic

He looks like my teacher at infants Mrs Parsonage.

Good luck to him.

wosl

Twed

Quote from: momatt on April 01, 2019, 02:12:31 PM
I thought it was funny as fuck!

It seemed like he was more bemused at how incredibly excited the presenter was, rather than poo-pooing the award itself.

Robert Smith is cool.
And fat.
And depressed.
He's cool in that Senor Cardgage kinda way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvnRl_GM77c

VelourSpirit

It was just a deadpan joke, he seemed a bit bemused but he was polite for the rest of the conversation. I just hope people aren't dogpiling that presenter on twitter or anything.

Phil_A

I remember Fat Bob's band played on Dom Joly's awful BBC3 chat show, Joly tried to get him to do a "bit" and Bob was like "Nah, not really arsed mate." Good on him.

Jockice

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 01, 2019, 01:16:26 PM
Presenter, virtually bouncing up and down with joy and excitement: "Are you as excited as I am?!"

Fat Bob: "erm... by the sound of it, no."

The most hilarious thing anyone's ever said to an interviewer ever. Apparently.

Nowhere Man

It is fucking funny to be fair.

Christ alive, it's one deadpan comment you miserable cunts.

wosl

Quote from: Nowhere Man on April 02, 2019, 01:38:13 PM
It is fucking funny to be fair.

Christ alive, it's one deadpan comment you miserable cunts.

The interviewer's gushing is as effective as deadpan, since her autopilot enthusiasm is wholly faked and isn't costing her a dime of true effort.  She clearly doesn't give an airborne shit about the Cure (and some would say - the first three or four albums notwithstanding - rightly so).  Good on her for rightly sussing that a proper dose of red-carpet OMGness would irk the pudgy, kohl-daubed cobweb.

Quote from: wosl on April 02, 2019, 04:56:30 PM
She clearly doesn't give an airborne shit about the Cure (and some would say - the first three or four albums notwithstanding - rightly so). 

The only two of theirs that were any good were Catch, and Pictures of You, but they were very good.

SteveDave

A friend has just asked what everyone's reaction would've been had it been Kanye West instead of Legend Bobby chatting shit to the interviewer.

MAKE YOU THINK. MAKE YOU THINk.

the science eel

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 02, 2019, 05:19:40 PM
The only two of theirs that were any good were Catch, and Pictures of You, but they were very good.

No.

'A Forest'

and then maybe 'Inbetween Days' and maybe 'Close To You'

jobotic

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 02, 2019, 05:19:40 PM

I'll just add Plainsong, which I've just remembered.

wosl

Quote from: the science eel on April 02, 2019, 05:25:48 PM'A Forest'

and then maybe 'Inbetween Days' and maybe 'Close To You'

In Your House, Primary, All Cats Are Grey, A Short Term Effect.  Bits of Carnage Visors.  The culmination of A Forest is lovely of course, but the build-up sorely tests the patience.

The Walk, Lullaby, Lovesong, Fascination Street, Harold and Joe, Why Can't I Be You, Hot Hot Hot, A Forest.

All GREAT.

And of course their version of "The Sun Has Got His Hat On" from The Mary Whitehouse Experience.

Norton Canes