Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:37:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Outland

Started by monkfromhavana, April 01, 2019, 01:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Watched this for the first time in about ten years last night and enjoyed it immensely.

They managed to make an off-world mining colliery look as bleak as you would expect it to be. Connery is good, and he steps out of acting by threatening to knock his kids teeth out and beat up the female doctor in the first half hour. Kika Markham can't act, and the kid who plays their son gets given a hackneyed "Daddy, I love you" scene - plus he has MASSIVE ears. Berkoff overacts wildly playing a hepped up miner "those silly bastards are using polyunsaturate lemon libutamol" or something.

No explanation as to why Connery doesn't just ring up his superiors and tell them about the drug smuggling instead of fannying about playing squash on his own.

I thought Montone was meant to be "the man on the inside", but then he gets himself offed by someone (the other black cop who fights Connery at the end?) so there were two men on the inside. Does he do in Russel Yario and Nicholas Spota as well? The music in the club scene is good - can't remember who, but some Japanese electronic act.

That's all I know about Outland.

buzby

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 01, 2019, 01:14:48 PM
The music in the club scene is good - can't remember who, but some Japanese electronic act.
The first leisure club scene used Source #1 (Source 192) and the second leisure club scene used Source 2 (Source 193). Both were composed by session synth ace Michael Boddicker and Richard Rudolph, and performed by Boddicker under the name Ganymede. Neither appear on the official OST release (instead there is an unused Goldsmith cue for the leisure club scenes called The Rec Room), but they were included on the limited edition 2CD set released by Film Score Monthly in 2010.

Source 2 was covered as Automatic Collect, Automatic Correct by ex-Yellow Magic Orchestra synth programmer Hideki Matsutake under the name Logic System on his 1981 debut album Venus

Shit Good Nose

Excellent also-ran po-faced sci-fi which, as I point out every time it gets mentioned, I'd sooner watch than High Noon.  Top 10 Connery for me.

St_Eddie

I've mentioned it before on this forum but I'll say it again; my head-canon dictates that Outland is set within the same universe as Alien.  Both projects share a lot of the same creative talents and, like Blade Runner, it just feels absolutely right for being set in the same universe.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 01, 2019, 01:14:48 PM
No explanation as to why Connery doesn't just ring up his superiors and tell them about the drug smuggling instead of fannying about playing squash on his own.

Did you miss the part where it's revealed that his superiors are corrupt and in on the drug smuggling?  There's no telling how far that corruption extends to.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 01, 2019, 05:53:07 PM
I've mentioned it before on this forum but I'll say it again; my head-canon dictates that Outland is set within the same universe as Alien.  Both projects share a lot of the same creative talents and, like Blade Runner, it just feels absolutely right for being set in the same universe.

Did you miss the part where it's revealed that his superiors are corrupt and in on the drug smuggling?  There's no telling how far that corruption extends to.

His superiors aren't, and Sheppard's phone call to his supplier states that "if Con-Amalgmate get wind of this they'll come down on us like a ton of bricks" (I paraphrase obviously), so Con-Am aren't either. Regardless of how far the corruption has spread, he stands to lose nothing by attempting communication seeing as hired goons are on the way.

I do like the way Sheppard is portrayed - very realistic, whereas someone like Carter Burke in Aliens is a little too slimy from the get-go.

St_Eddie

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 01, 2019, 10:15:10 PM
His superiors aren't, and Sheppard's phone call to his supplier states that "if Con-Amalgmate get wind of this they'll come down on us like a ton of bricks" (I paraphrase obviously), so Con-Am aren't either. Regardless of how far the corruption has spread, he stands to lose nothing by attempting communication seeing as hired goons are on the way.

Ah, okay.  It's been a couple of years since I last watched Outland, so my memory of the details is a little hazy.