Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:13:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mega Drive Mini!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by madhair60, April 01, 2019, 01:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

Quote from: madhair60 on April 02, 2019, 02:08:27 PMMega Drive emulation is notorious for failing to reproduce the audio accurately, which has largely contributed to the AIDS-tier bang-wrong moronpinion that the Mega Drive has a bad "sound chip" or bad music.

It's also due to people failing to appreciate the myriad intricacies of FM synthesis. It requires a significant increase of programming talent to get pleasing results from an FM synth. But they can be amazingly expressive and intricate.

Comparatively, beep chips are much simpler to programme, and any cunt can string samples together in a tracker and get them to play in order. (I should know.)

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 02, 2019, 01:14:02 PM
Maybe you should try this, a rebuilt mega drive with modem chips that can scale up to HD with no loss of performance.

It accepts original carts and you can't put ROMs on it. Perfect!

It doesn't accept more modern controllers though so as well as the games you'll need an original (not included).

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/the-analogue-mega-sg-answers-why-anyone-would-pay-190-for-a-new-sega-genesis/

It will take ROMs through an Everdrive flash cart and there will be custom firmware soon enough that allows loading ROMs through the in-built SD card slot.

There's also a 2.4GHz version of the 8bitdo controller that's compatible with it (and the original hardware).

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: madhair60 on April 02, 2019, 02:08:27 PM
Mega Drive emulation is notorious for failing to reproduce the audio accurately, which has largely contributed to the AIDS-tier bang-wrong moronpinion that the Mega Drive has a bad "sound chip" or bad music.

This absolute sub human scum is right on this front : mega drive sounds are the best sounds

Replies From View

Which is better:  Earthworm Jim on the original SNES or Earthworm Jim on the Megadrive Emulator.

Twed

Even in the actual hardware there's a good Mega Drive sound chip that sounds like your balls or clitoris are vital fuckitems, and one that sounds like you've been neutered (depending on the console model)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfNKJlJUXwQ

Enthusiasts sometimes get the old chip modded into the new console. My friend who made Sonic 3 Complete did this.

madhair60

Quote from: Replies From View on April 02, 2019, 04:33:02 PM
Which is better:  Earthworm Jim on the original SNES or Earthworm Jim on the Megadrive Emulator.

Mega Drive emulator

SNES EWJ is not a good version. Game feel is wrong and it is missing two levels

Cloud

I have a real one and added a PAL/NTSC switch to it so that Sonic wasn't like treacle.  Then did nothing with it

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cloud on April 02, 2019, 10:35:09 PM
I have a real one and added a PAL/NTSC switch to it so that Sonic wasn't like treacle.  Then did nothing with it

I did this as well. I think the only game I own that can detect it and tell you to piss off is Jimmy White's Snooker, but even then you can just flip it after it's started.

Kelvin

Literally the only game I regret buying on the Switch is that Mega-drive collection with 20-30 games on it.

Maybe one and a half of them are better than dogshit. And that's the fucking sonic games.

The best games

Are sonic games

the

Alien Soldier dogshit
Comix Zone dogshit
Decap Attack dogshit
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (FUCKING PUYO PUYO) dogshit
Dynamite Headdy dogshit
ESWAT dogshit
Gunstar Heroes dogshit
Landstalker dogshit
Shadow Dancer dogshit
Shining Force II dogshit
Streets of Rage 2 dogshit
The Revenge of Shinobi dogshit
ToeJam & Earl dogshit
Kelvin dogshit

Get back to games where everything has a smiley face drawn on it to remind you when to have primary colour based fun

Kelvin

Gunstar Heroes and Streets of Rage 2 are confirmed Not Dogshit

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on April 02, 2019, 08:50:45 PM
Mega Drive emulator

SNES EWJ is not a good version. Game feel is wrong and it is missing two levels

Alright then.

Which is better:  Disney's Aladdin on the original SNES or Disney's Aladdin on the Megadrive Emulator.

madhair60

Quote from: Replies From View on April 03, 2019, 08:14:54 AM
Alright then.

Which is better:  Disney's Aladdin on the original SNES or Disney's Aladdin on the Megadrive Emulator.

SNES, Disney's Aladdin for Mega Drive is an extremely overrated, frustrating game

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on April 03, 2019, 07:35:41 AM
Gunstar Heroes and Streets of Rage 2 are confirmed Not Dogshit

Fuck off, you don't deserve them.

Jerzy Bondov

SHINING FORCE II IS NOT DOG SHIT

YOU ARE DOG SHIT

Kelvin

I'm sorry, guys. I played about 50% of the games for about two minutes each and they've been conclusively analysed.

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on April 03, 2019, 09:26:32 AM
SHINING FORCE II IS NOT DOG SHIT

YOU ARE DOG SHIT

I will play it for two minutes tonight, and do a thorough analysis.

For now, I think it's safer to store with the bags of Confirmed Dogshit.

Jerzy Bondov

Two minutes? All true gamers put the cheat code in that lets you name every party member at the start of the game and spend at least half an hour doing that.

popcorn

The Mega Drive was a bit bollocks. The Sonics are timeless achievements but there's not much beyond them worth spending time on, especially compared to the treasure trove that is the SNES library.

Now the Sega Saturn on the other hand, mmm.

DEBATE TIME.

Which iteration of Mega-Drive hardware looks best? Of course, the correct answer is the Japanese Mk1 Mega-Drive:

DEBATE OVER, THANKS.

ALSO, LOOK AT THIS FUCKING GREAT LOGO TOO, THANKS:

Jerzy Bondov

I fully agree with the conclusion of the debate. Mk2 was an abomination and anyone who had one was scum.

Sebastian Cobb

The MK2 was like putting racing stripes on a camel.

popcorn

All the Japanese Mega Drive branding was lovely. Look at the Japanese Sonic covers.

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on April 03, 2019, 01:41:39 PM
The Mega Drive was a bit bollocks. The Sonics are timeless achievements but there's not much beyond them worth spending time on, especially compared to the treasure trove that is the SNES library.

Now the Sega Saturn on the other hand, mmm.

It's about to get fupping pristine.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: popcorn on April 03, 2019, 02:33:02 PM
All the Japanese Mega Drive branding was lovely. Look at the Japanese Sonic covers.

"Like an Australian's nightmare."

popcorn

Quote from: madhair60 on April 03, 2019, 02:46:42 PM
It's about to get fupping pristine.

Let's play Toejam and Earl... said no one ever ........

the

Quote from: popcorn on April 03, 2019, 03:04:16 PMLet's play Toejam and Earl... said no one ever ........

There speaks a man who has no friends to play it with

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: popcorn on April 03, 2019, 03:04:16 PM
Let's play Toejam and Earl... said no one ever ........

When I was in university I once went 'for a nap' and woke up after the student bar had shut and stayed up completing it. Around 3am a pissed mate turned up trying to crash some tabs off me.

popcorn

madhair60

I do find the "just use an emulator" responses a bit weird, because... I have used an emulator, for about a decade and a half. And now they've made a tiny Mega Drive with the proper pads that I can hack my favourites onto. And I can set it besides the SNES Mini, PS1 Mini, and it's just a convenient and aesthetically pleasing way to play classic games.