Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:58:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mega Drive Mini!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by madhair60, April 01, 2019, 01:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on April 03, 2019, 03:49:35 PM
I do find the "just use an emulator" responses a bit weird, because... I have used an emulator, for about a decade and a half. And now they've made a tiny Mega Drive with the proper pads...

What do you think the Megadrive Mini is?  It's an emulator with preloaded roms.  The only difference is that it's an emulator in the shell of a miniature Megadrive, as opposed to the shell of a PC (that can also do a million other things).

popcorn

I don't think the appeal of the mini consoles is mysterious even for people who know how to emulate. They're cute, they have nice pads, and you can plug em easy-style into yer telly rather than fucking around with computers and that. They are lifestyle.

The only problem with the Mega Drive Mini is that it is a Mega Drive which, well, is no Sega Saturn is it.

Twed

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 03, 2019, 03:52:39 PM
What do you think the Megadrive Mini is?  It's an emulator with preloaded roms.  The only difference is that it's an emulator in the shell of a miniature Megadrive, as opposed to the shell of a PC (that can also do a million other things).
St_Eddie might be slow to respond to this because he's posting from a bus and it takes a long time to set up a desktop PC there, especially when people keep getting on and off.

imitationleather

If they ever release a combined mini Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis my reaction would be, "When I was dead broke man I couldn't picture this."

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on April 03, 2019, 03:58:27 PM
St_Eddie might be slow to respond to this because he's posting from a bus and it takes a long time to set up a desktop PC there, especially when people keep getting on and off.

Whereas the Megadrive Mini will be great on a bus.  Provided that you don't actually want to turn it on and play games.

Chollis

Mega Drive was a much better name than Genesis wasn't it. And Saturn for that matter.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on April 03, 2019, 04:00:14 PM
If they ever release a combined mini Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis my reaction would be, "When I was dead broke man I couldn't picture this."

lol

Replies From View

Quote from: popcorn on April 03, 2019, 03:55:32 PM
I don't think the appeal of the mini consoles is mysterious even for people who know how to emulate. They're cute, they have nice pads, and you can plug em easy-style into yer telly rather than fucking around with computers and that. They are lifestyle.

The only problem with the Mega Drive Mini is that it is a Mega Drive which, well, is no Sega Saturn is it.

Instead of "nice pads" why not get some proper old ones from eBay?

People who buy these dedicated consoles basically have plenty of money to throw away, and lots of display/storage space for tat.  It's fine to admit it.

Chollis

QuoteSega released the console as the Mega Drive in Japan in 1988, followed by North America as the Genesis in 1989. In 1990, the console was distributed as the Mega Drive by Virgin Mastertronic in Europe, Ozisoft in Australasia, and Tec Toy in Brazil. In South Korea, the systems were distributed by Samsung as the Super Gam*Boy and later the Super Aladdin Boy.[c]

Super Aladdin Boy!!!!!

popcorn

Quote from: Replies From View on April 03, 2019, 04:18:44 PM
Instead of "nice pads" why not get some proper old ones from eBay?

People who buy these dedicated consoles basically have plenty of money to throw away, and lots of display/storage space for tat.  It's fine to admit it.

eBay?! People with lifestyles don't buy pads from eBay.

Replies From View

Quote from: Chollis on April 03, 2019, 04:14:25 PM
Mega Drive was a much better name than Genesis wasn't it. And Saturn for that matter.

The Mega Drive should have been called The Master System III, in my solid opinion.

Replies From View

Quote from: popcorn on April 03, 2019, 04:20:58 PM
eBay?! People with lifestyles don't buy pads from eBay.

I know, that's what I'm saying!  What must they be buying from eBay instead?!  It's all highly odd.

Twed

That's not true. You're like those people who get angry at people for buying truffle salt when they're on benefits, you monster. Step aside and make a wave of frozen water gold.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Replies From View on April 03, 2019, 04:21:36 PM
The Mega Drive should have been called The Master System III, in my solid opinion.
This strategy worked like gangbusters for the Wii U.

St_Eddie

Bingo.

Bronzy

Quote from: imitationleather on April 03, 2019, 04:00:14 PM

Worst superhero ever.

magval

Haven't read thread.

Who likes the Mega Drive 2 better? I do, for one.

Replies From View

Quote from: magval on April 03, 2019, 05:46:30 PM
Haven't read thread.

Who likes the Mega Drive 2 better? I do, for one.

Was that the Master System IV?

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 03, 2019, 03:52:39 PM

I know what it is. Holy fuck what do you people WANT FROM ME

Also I resent the implication that I have money to burn, I'm PISS POOR. I trade my shit in and get these second hand with CEX credit because I like old games and I want a tiny console to match my tiny genitals. CHRIST

samadriel

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 03, 2019, 01:57:45 PM
DEBATE TIME.

Which iteration of Mega-Drive hardware looks best? Of course, the correct answer is the Japanese Mk1 Mega-Drive:

DEBATE OVER, THANKS.

ALSO, LOOK AT THIS FUCKING GREAT LOGO TOO, THANKS:

No No No No No, the Wondermega trumps it easily..

Since it's an order of magnitude smaller than the original Mega Drive, shouldn't it just be called the Drive?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 03, 2019, 08:06:14 PM
Since it's an order of magnitude smaller than the original Mega Drive, shouldn't it just be called the Drive?

The Sega Wimpydrive.

biggytitbo

Isn't the megadrive the console with the most number of models, variations and spin offs? Also the one you can make tallest via addons.

I would be slightly tempted by this if the rest of the selection is good, even though i've got them all on emulation. I don't suppose it'll have my all time favourite megadrive game on though - magical flying hat adventure.

I believe the 3DO was the tallest console, as long as one of the addons was a scaffolding tower.

samadriel

You idiot, the tallest console was the Nintendo 64, which, ironically, was 62 feet tall.

madhair60

Consignia

I guess those turning their noses up at this would also snub the Analogue SG.

An FPGA recreation of the Mega Drive, it can perfectly play games that emulators are "good enough" at recreating.