Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:12:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Mountain Goats

Started by Ferris, April 02, 2019, 05:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Still haven't listened to it! My signed vinyl copy (ooh!) arrived last week, I'm waiting until we're in the new gaff in a few weeks with a nice new record player to give it a go.

Very exciting.

Jerzy Bondov

Just wanted to say that Spotify says I was in the top 1% of Mountain Goats listeners this year. Considering I only got into them in July that's good going.

Ferris

Some nerds on Reddit noticed John has registered 14 new titles with ASCAP. I think they checked sitemaps for big publishers and found a new album title on the way (including artwork!)

Dark In Here, coming July 25, 2021 apparently. God bless the other obsessive nerd Mountain Goats fans, what would we do without them.

Very exciting - they've been on a really solid streak for years at this point. I need to give Songs for Pierre Chauvin another go, but loved Getting Into Knives (even plumped for a signed copy!) and this one sounds like it was recorded around the same time so it should be a banger.

Cuellar

Been listening to 'Mobile' that will presumably be on Dark In Here and enjoying it.

I wasn't immediately taken with Getting Into Knives, but I've often found that that means I'll end up loving it so I should persevere.

Jerzy Bondov

I think that Bell Swamp Connection off of Getting Into Knives is one of the best songs he's done (that I've heard, I'm still digging through the back catalogue). Gives me chills.

Cuellar

Actually that's a fair point. Just as I'd typed that reply up there Bell Swamp Connection came on and I really liked it, so there past me.

Ferris

I've had the lyrics for "Golden Boy" stuck in my head for 3 days, particularly the lines extolling the cosmological values of Golden Boy brand peanuts..

QuoteThere are no pan-Asian supermarkets down in hell / so you can't buy Golden Boy peanuts there
But the streets of heaven are lined with shells / and there's billboards of the Golden Boy everywhere

Ferris

"Live" recording of the whole album The Light of the World to Come.

One of my faves and I've only seen it in bits, so was pleased to find the whole cohesive piece as one film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks7wEx4m3sU

Jerzy Bondov

Just coming out of the other side of an unhealthy obsession with 'Rain in Soho' at the moment. They know how to open an album

Famous Mortimer

John Darnielle is going to be down the road from me promoting his new novel in February. If anyone wants a signed copy, I think you can register for the virtual event and they'll send it out to you afterwards. He's probably doing the same thing at a load of places?

Ferris

I have a couple of signed JD bits and pieces - every 10th (?) thing he writes a little note or phrase but I've never snagged one.

He's a very interesting and well-spoken guy, I'd recommend going to see him talk if you can (even if he'll be focused on flogging his book rather than talking about mythology or '70s alt-country).

Ferris

(I managed to break out of my MG obsession about 3 months ago, in that I have resumed listening to other bands but the Mountain Goats are still ~70% of my audio diet.)

Jerzy Bondov

I was in the top 2% of Mountain Goats listeners on Spotify this year, down from 1% last year. Really quite disappointed in myself.

Ferris