Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:00:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone

Started by Sin Agog, April 02, 2019, 06:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Don't know oot about this, but I'm glad he's riding that purple patch while it lasts.  First ep's on youtube for Americans.  Better be drowned in cigarette smoke or else I'm out!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=19GO8-Rrn0g

St_Eddie

It's getting awful reviews.  Load of old shite, I reckon.  I adore the original series and some of the 80's revival episodes were very good too.  However, this looks to be closer in quality to the appallingly bad 2002 revival.

popcorn

Sounds like Eddie does not get the "Jordan aPeele"!!

Sin Agog

Quote from: popcorn on April 02, 2019, 08:20:00 AM
Sounds like Eddie does not get the "Jordan aPeele"!!

I'm sure if he keeps on watching it will find the Keegan-Michael Key to Eddie's heart.

St_Eddie

The thing about this series is that it's... uh... um... Rod Serling... hmm... not doing a good job at Serling itself to me?!  Urgh, I suck at this.

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on April 02, 2019, 10:03:02 AM
The AV Club liked it

To be more precise, they liked one of the two premiere episodes but not the other.  A lot of other reviewers disliked both.

rjd2

Don't the AV club like everything though?

Bad Ambassador

daf

Keep reading this as 'John Peel's Twilight Zone'

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination.
Beyond it is another dimension—a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind.
You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas.
You've just crossed over into . . . a session by The Fall."

petril

Quote from: daf on April 02, 2019, 02:52:42 PM

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination.
Beyond it is another dimension—a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind.
You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas.
You've just crossed over into . . . a session by The Fall."

"no wait, er, hang on, that's just gone on at the wrong speed. Anyway, here's Spizz, er, Energi while I sort that out"

Rev+

It's miles ahead of the 2002 version, but it's difficult to know what to make of it after two episodes.  It's kind of knowingly different.  The second episode is the one they've really pushed in the run-up to this, as it's called 'Nightmare at 30,000ft' and so we all know what to expect from that one - gremlin on the wing, innit.  Except that's not what the episode's about, it's a different story with something of the same spirit to it.

The first episode pulls something similar in that it's not an adaptation of any old episode in particular, but it has a real familiarity to it as it's the type of story the original series did quite a bit.

It's alright so far, really.  Jordan Peele's a decent host, it's clearly got a bit of money behind it, and I prefer the approach they're taking to 2002's 'combined remake and sequel' approach to the stories.  It'll be hit and miss as fuck, but that was always the case.

Small Man Big Horse

I've only watched the second one so far as the reviews for the first were so bad but I can't say I liked it that much. It held my interest, which is something I guess, and I was fond of it for the first fifteen minutes or so, but then I started to find it a bit irritating and I thought the ending was shit.

olliebean

Quote from: Rev+ on April 02, 2019, 08:42:15 PM
The first episode pulls something similar in that it's not an adaptation of any old episode in particular, but it has a real familiarity to it as it's the type of story the original series did quite a bit.

The original series would have done it just as effectively in half the time, though.

Rev+

There is that.  I'm not sure what the deal is with episode lengths - the first one is 20 minutes longer than the second - and in theory I like that they can be flexible because it doesn't have to fit into a schedule, so an episode can be as long as a story necessitates.  There's definitely something to be said for having the discipline to get it done in under half an hour.

What was the old Roger Corman thing - if you can't tell a story in 90 minutes you're not trying?

Sin Agog

Are you two forgetting the fourth season?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 02, 2019, 10:42:20 PM
Are you two forgetting the fourth season?

It was arguably weaker for it though.

Mister Six

Not watched these yet, but excited to note that episode four is by Glen Morgan of "Morgan and Wong" X-Files/Millennium fame. Apparently he's also a producer. It's being directed by Ana Lily Amanpour, who made A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night and The Bad Batch. She's a pretty dreadful writer but a compelling director, so that strikes me as a potentially great episode.

samadriel

Quote from: daf on April 02, 2019, 02:52:42 PM

I keep reading it as 'Jordan Peterson's Twilight Zone', which would be too tedious for me to pastiche here.

Duckula

Watched the first episode and it was a heap of sub Black Mirror shite.

Bazooka

Quote from: Duckula on April 03, 2019, 03:20:32 PM
Watched the first episode and it was a heap of sub Black Mirror shite.

I considered the former as Moribund, dear lord.

Shaky

Obviously nothing will ever top the 80's series, although you can't blame the 60's version for trying.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I wonder what my avatar would think of all of this? Not arsed, cigs, probably.

Jerzy Bondov

I jumped to the second episode as it's shorter and enjoyed it. Hokey and silly and a good laff. Not really anything like the original story. I really like Jordan Peele in the Serling role.

Hey, Punk!

When are we going to get Jordan Peterson's Twilight Zone?

Quote from: samadriel on April 03, 2019, 07:09:16 AM
I keep reading it as 'Jordan Peterson's Twilight Zone', which would be too tedious for me to pastiche here.

I am a tedious none-thread-reading bastard. Kill me immediately.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 02, 2019, 09:15:58 AM
The thing about this series is that it's... uh... um... Rod Serling... hmm... not doing a good job at Serling itself to me?!  Urgh, I suck at this.

Not exactly Sterling filmmaking.

daf

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 05, 2019, 02:52:48 PM
I wonder what my avatar would think of all of this? Not arsed, cigs . . .

. . . take arrow out of nut

Jerzy Bondov

I shot an arrow into the air, it landed in Rod Serling's hair

St_Eddie

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on April 06, 2019, 03:34:26 PM
I shot an arrow into the air, it landed in Rod Serling's hair

That, Sir, is a fanciful story.